Labor rates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dneiger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been working on chainsaws since 1972 and I have seen a lot of them come and go, seen shop labor rates climb in the last few years, but I am giving notice to the chainsaw users in my area if you bring a S saw in that ends with the model 39 my shop rate has automaticly gone up to $250.00 per hour. I thought up cuss words that haven't been invented yet, just to change piston.

Cmon guys, it ain't that bad. Takes about 10 minutes to pull one down completely.

But my question is, why are you fixing them. I have actually repaired one internally under warranty. It is a throwaway saw. It WAS NOT intended to be overhauled. NO consumer type saw is or was. The guy bought it reasonable, and if HE kept good fuel and maintained things the way he should, would get a long life. Most of my original 029 customers still have them. We were told that in the beginning. I will bet money the other makers said the same thing.
If you want a saw to overhaul down the road, buy a pro model. That is what it is intended for.

they are a easy tear down after you have done one, hell every screw is the same almost.

Ive got a new 310 that spit out a wristpin keeper in the shop now. warranty deal..

Rates

Nobody said we wanted to pull the crank, we wanted to work on the piston I guess we should have pulled it out of the spark plug hole, would have been just as easy. As for throw away saws I haven't heard any of the major companies use that term ever, all of them claim their latest models and designs are the best ever, easiest to work on, and the greatest thing since canned beer.

So Dneiger,

If you hate the 1127 series what about the 019/190 (1132). I know of one former Stihl dealer who refused to work on them. Note I said former. He also would b''ch about the Stihl trimmers.

Bill

rates

Bill,
I don't hate the saw, it is just a pain to work on. The same guy must have designed them that designed the little saw with the Orline model airplane motor. The saws contrary to some opinions seem to run ok and cut pretty good once you open the muffler up.

Homelite 150's and little xl's are what get me pissed.

friggen mounting plate for the points in the 150's warp when they get hot..

screws

OK, so you want to replace the piston with only 4 screws. On a pro saw it is the only way to go.

When the 029 came out, we did not stock it for about a year and a half. We said the same things you all have said here. The, more customers came looking for it, and would not lay out the extra hudred for an 026. Sales were going down the road, so we started stocking it. I envisioned nightmares, but it never happened. Fuel hose and an occasional pulse or oil hose.
The secret, get the handle bar out of the way first thing. Then you can access most everything else.
It is one of the least problem saws so far, definitly no worse than a 36 or 26.
I never walked away from a problem saw, and sometimes I found it to be quite an opportunity when I did figure them out.
Remember 350 Olds diesels, who do you think inherited all those problems? I learned a lot and made some money doing it.

If you dealer thinks Stihl trimmers are hard to work on I would look for a differant dealer. I have been into a fs 85 and a fs 200 and thought they where painfully simple.
As for the 029-039. Yes, its true, they are JUNK! Of course I ama not talking about durability or ease of service. I am talking from a performance standpoint. Almost any paramiter one looks at finds that series saws lacking.

Well I dont work on them in the detail that you guys are, but I started off with a 029 (had it for maybe a month or so) and traded it in for a 036. As much bashing as I have seen on the 029 on here I'm happy I made the switch.

It is kind of a really bitter hatred.

I mean it......

And when they defiled the memory of the 031, with the
ms310, I lost control of myself.....

It's personal now.......

I mean it........

Ben, there are many things I don't want to buy which I don't think are junk.  Your saw is one of them.  But thanks anyway.

Glen

if they take longer to fix, so what.
what, you guys dont charge by the hour anymore,
the people with old saws and keep them just
get charged more and make the repair guys
more loot.

Latest posts

Back