Lack of hushy dealers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again I'm not bashing companies here. Just in my little world down here all the saw companies have ran off. Maybe it's us. :msp_scared:

The biggest reason the Husky dealers folded around here is that when the big box stores started carrying them, the full service dealers were stuck with all that warranty work. Dealers don't make much on warranty work, it is more of a way to keep their customer's happy than anything else. The big box stores started flooding them with warranty work they didn't want, and Husky wouldn't let them turn it away, they got fed up and dropped the name from their inventory. My father manages a large ag equipment shop at a local Case IH dealer, they used to carry Husky, but this exact scenario caused them to drop the brand. They also used to have Cub Cadet, same story. Now the smallest equipment they carry says Kubota on the side.

Now this leaves me even more questionable about wth is going on!!!! It makes no since why would ether company be making moves like that. Are we going to end up with a box store option on a new saw or what???
For Husky, it looks like they have been "cleaning" the Jonsered brand out of pure hardware stores, to make the image as a pro brand more obvious.
It is no secret that they are replacing the Partner and Poulan brands my McCulloch branded saws, as it is defined as their new "premium consumer saw" brand - if that expression makes any sense (it doesn't to me, but it is what it is). I have no idea where those "Mac" saws actually are made so far, but the specs surely aren't impressive, nor are the looks of those contraptions...

Last edited:
My local Husky dealer still has the sign out, but there isn't a Husky product in the shop - all Echo. He says you can't beat the 5 year warranty. So far, I still have all Husky equipment and don't plan to change that ... I'll find another dealer.

My local Husky dealer still has the sign out, but there isn't a Husky product in the shop - all Echo. He says you can't beat the 5 year warranty. So far, I still have all Husky equipment and don't plan to change that ... I'll find another dealer.

You need to learn more about what "warranty" really means, in each case, before you make a statement like that. Long warranties are usually a means to market sub-standard products, which is exactly what Echo does.
Also, I would not be surpriced if there are lots of "clauses" that actually are keeping you from using that "warranty", when something actually goes wrong...

The absolute last thing you should consider (or just forget) when buying a chainsaw is the warranty - if the length of the official warranty is important, your dealer is not good enough. A really good dealer should be able to figure out what was your fault, and what was caused by a defect in manufacture or part production.

Holding a "warrenty card" under his nose hardly helps. :msp_biggrin:

For Husky, it looks like they have been "cleaning" the Jonsered brand out of pure hardware stores, to make the image as a pro brand more obvious.
It is no secret that they are replacing the Partner and Poulan brands my McCulloch branded saws, as it is defined as their new "premium consumer saw" brand - if that expression makes any sense (it doesn't to me, but it is what it is). I have no idea where those "Mac" saws actually are made so far, but the specs surely aren't impressive, nor are the looks of those contraptions...

I don't either and those brands has long disappeared in this area.

That's the problem with echo. They only make so many parts at one time. If you need one of those parts it might take close to a year to get your parts. That's one of the several reasons I quit buying echo saws. The fact I have to mm or port an echo so it will run with a stock stihl or husky is a downfall to. I like echo but to many issues for me to be brand loyal.

Actually I wish there were more hushy dealers here. Most of the ones I've been in are kind of smart-alecky and
mouthy. One was such a batty-crab that I left them alone a long time ago. I decided I don't have to spend my
money with people who act like you "deserve to do business with them."

Otherwise I understand the meaning of the OP's thread. A new Husky dealer just opened in our town last year
and they seem to be doing very well. They sell saws, and quite a few lines of commercial mowers and tractors.
If I ever cross over, I'm going to wear them out with parts purchases; for now I'm a hopeless "Stihlhead."

seems like back 20 years ago most saw shops sold stihl and husky .we had a dealer that sold mcculloch and pioneer and changed and sold stihl and husky and yazoo mowers.the stihl dealer told me the other day that stihl told him he couldnt sell husky saws and realy didnt want his mechanic to work on them.

There's a Hushy dealer around every corner in the name of Lowes and TSC. That's actually the problem in my opinion.

Now if you want Service, that's a different story. But service is a pain for companies who's mission is to make money this year. Why do you want to stockpile parts and manage inventory, and with labor rates in the US it doesn't pay to fix things so the parts sit around... all rather crazy when you can just sell a bunch of new saws through box stores and profit nicely.

The MBA's figured out it's better to just move as many saws as you can and trade in on your brand loyalty for profits this year. Those dealer strong-arm tactics are just your local rep trying to meet his bonus or follow orders so he doesn't lose his job... I think many of their tactics with single-branding, forcing inventory, etc sound good in a boardroom but in the end don't service us customers the best.

Well forcing the local dealers to carry the tractors and ztrs which are way overpriced, and force them to floor plan them through expensive
finance companies is too much of a burden for almost any dealer. If they can go to lowes and get almost the equvalent mower for half the price, they don't require Lowes to carry Hushy mowers around here, makes it dam hard to find one.

As much as I groan about carrying Husqvarna tractors and wheeled goods, I have to admit that they do bring in a good bit of revenue for service, just as long as its not warranty work. We get a lot of customers from TSC and Lowes that have no clue how to work on their tractors, not even basic tasks like changing oil. So when we get full service tuneups that helps pay the bills. I like their line of commercial zturns, the only problem is nobody in this area is willing to dish out the cash for one. This year we significantly cut our floor plan due to having too much left over wheeled equipment, I pushed for only carrying tractors that the box stores can't get, hoping to at least get some edge.

Well forcing the local dealers to carry the tractors and ztrs which are way overpriced, and force them to floor plan them through expensive
finance companies is too much of a burden for almost any dealer. If they can go to lowes and get almost the equvalent mower for half the price, they don't require Lowes to carry Hushy mowers around here, makes it dam hard to find one.

Of course, it's totally stupid. Lowes and TSC have huge leverage and they use it. Worst thing Husky did for their true customers was to sell through non-service providing box stores. It's great for average home depot types though because they get to feel good about buying a Husky while picking out floor tile. The problem is that Husky is not a pro-grade husky and they are essentially buying it and on their own for support... something a good dealer exists for.

Husky is essentially destroying their dealer network for profits.

Plus side is darwinism... the ones that are left are probably going to be pretty good

As much as I groan about carrying Husqvarna tractors and wheeled goods, I have to admit that they do bring in a good bit of revenue for service, just as long as its not warranty work. We get a lot of customers from TSC and Lowes that have no clue how to work on their tractors, not even basic tasks like changing oil. So when we get full service tuneups that helps pay the bills. I like their line of commercial zturns, the only problem is nobody in this area is willing to dish out the cash for one. This year we significantly cut our floor plan due to having too much left over wheeled equipment, I pushed for only carrying tractors that the box stores can't get, hoping to at least get some edge.

Oh I really liked their ztrs, nice smooth machines, but they were close to the Pro ZTRs in price, were their construction was more consumer
grade.

Dealer doesn't have to provide warranty on anything if they don't want. So why bother with box store warranties if it's a hassle for you? I think box store warranty customers are easy money anyway. 99% of the cases are operater error anyway. So charge them a diagnostic fee.

I don't think you have to be full line for Husky anymore either. They kept changing their programs cause nothing worked. You have to consider the market, not all areas need ZTR's. Some markets only need 21" WB's. Would make no sense to force them to carry anything bigger.

We have a small engine shop here that is a Husky dealer and only stocks the saws. So it appears they do not have to stock a full line.

I had heard that Husky is pulling the saws from the Lowes's of the world and going dealer only. I would bet they wanted full service dealers as I'm sure the profit margin is larger on the mowers and wheeled products than the saws. It's called corporate greed like every other company. If they pull them out of the big boxes then I would look for them to have more local dealers especially if they figured out that they won't be able to keep dealers if they hold them hostage to large outlays of cash or credit for mowers and other equipment they can't turn over reasonably.

They still need a distribution network for their saws, chain, parts, etc. In this bad economy maybe they realized the new model wasn't working and will be easier to set up with in the future. I hope so because I sure like their saws:D

I had heard that Husky is pulling the saws from the Lowes's of the world and going dealer only. I would bet they wanted full service dealers as I'm sure the profit margin is larger on the mowers and wheeled products than the saws. It's called corporate greed like every other company. If they pull them out of the big boxes then I would look for them to have more local dealers especially if they figured out that they won't be able to keep dealers if they hold them hostage to large outlays of cash or credit for mowers and other equipment they can't turn over reasonably.

They still need a distribution network for their saws, chain, parts, etc. In this bad economy maybe they realized the new model wasn't working and will be easier to set up with in the future. I hope so because I sure like their saws:D

Where did you hear that? Just curious

Where did you hear that? Just curious

I believe I heard it from the dealer I bought my 365 from and a few other posts on here I've read it as well.

Makes sense. Drive everyone to the dealers in the 1st place and much less warranty claims from misuse/ignorance with a dealer who will educate you about the saw. Lower returns for the brand, higher parts purchasing retention and add on purchases for the dealers. Higher profit for brand also as most small dealers won't be buying national quantities and can't get the economy of scale buy that a big box can demand.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

I believe I heard it from the dealer I bought my 365 from and a few other posts on here I've read it as well.

Makes sense. Drive everyone to the dealers in the 1st place and much less warranty claims from misuse/ignorance with a dealer who will educate you about the saw. Lower returns for the brand, higher parts purchasing retention and add on purchases for the dealers. Higher profit for brand also as most small dealers won't be buying national quantities and can't get the economy of scale buy that a big box can demand.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

bullfrickenchit......

Latest posts

Back