Lakeside, O great and wonderful Guru of the Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is MUCH worse than chainsaw disease.. and much more expensive...

A Friggin Men!

Anyone got a coolant pump for a 1955 Steinel mill?

Andy, why not try something difficult like a Vari speed J head mill? Ive seen our maintenence guys completely stumped working on these......And they have done it before!

(Begin Babble.....)

Way way back when machinery had "Oil fittings" on them (as on my Steinel) there was a coresponding Oiler that went with them. As time passed people forgot about this technology, and thinking that the oil fittings looked just like modern grease fittings, they went ahead and GREASED THINGS!!!

This worked for the first month or two, then the machine mysteriously slowed to a crawn and died. 20 Odd yrs later, some enterprising individual (thats me) comes along and decides to rebuild this beautiful machine.

And in the process, I found out something very interesting, Grease when left to sit for long periods eventually turns into WOOD! I had to scrape this wooden crap out of every oriface you could imagine, then soak everything in WD-40 for a month untill I could finally get oil to flow again.:dizzy:

Im a sick, sick man and Andy your getting to this stage too.....

The terminal stage is when you start messing with Steam engines, at that point theirs no hope for you.......

Last edited:
Hey, *I just looked again, is that a 36" table?

Nope.. a 42x12.... The beginning of the saggy sizes...

My first mill is a vari-speed (you can see the head in the above pic to the left of the - rollaway). No big deal - stripped it all down a couple of weeks ago, repacked and adjusted, and put it all back togther. They can be a pain, but I didn't think they were as bad as their rep. My motor has some shaft wear that will be a bit noisy at some speeds. I'm going to grind the motor shaft down in my lathe (with tool post grinder) without disassembing the motor, and powering it though a VFD to spin it between live centers. lolol.. then machine new oversize delrin bushings for the varidisk.

I did get a couple of sets of leadscrews from 1996 conversion of 1 year old BP to CNC - they sat on the shelf for 11 years.. like new :)

Yep.. the latest BP (today's haul - $500...:cheers: ) has zerks that have been greased - lots of hard muck. Luckily it also has a one-shot Bijur... so it got oil anyhow.

Sure wish you were local - everyone around here thinks I'm nuts. :monkey:

Easy.... I have a VFD that runs from 220 -gives me three phase and variable speed, programable braking, reverse etc..
The 1305’s convert single to 3 phase also. The small one pictured above the drill press runs an RCBS case tumbler, that was $39 on ebay (for the drive only), the 12 amp one on the drill press was $100 on flea Bay.
1305s.jpg

I have an old 1 hp pulley top that runs with a phase converter and it works well. You loose around 25% of the power, but it is still a Bridgeport.

Do you mean a static phase converter? - the VFD doen't loose anything at all. Or... It also possible to just add a capacior (or more then one) to the "third leg" of a three phase motor - basically make it a "self" rotary converter - but again you loose about 1/3 of the power. Doing the same thing with an external 3 phase motor make a true rotary converter that can then run the target motor(s) at at 100% power.

Which model BP do you have?

They have their place, I did a 3-phase overhead door and used a static converter. A Bridgeport would be ideal for a freq drive because of the variable speed and low cost.

This is MUCH worse than chainsaw disease.. and much more expensive...[/QUOTE]

Sooooo right you are,I WAS feeling a little better about myself since I found this site,spending A LOT less on toys THEN, I see this thread:censored: I'm DOOMED!!!

Lake.....I'm guessing....you are not married.;)

With my gun collection I walk out of the house with 2 guns and 3 cases...come back with 3 cases and..three guns. (this works best after you pass the 30 or 40 mark)

But....HOW.....do you smuggle in..... Bridgeports, though?

Hey Lake what you really need is a nice Cincinnati mill. They are way better than a bridgeport in my opinion. Some have a horizontal drive built into the column.

Cinci's are nice, but... 380,000 BP's plus clones can't be all wrong. For what I want, the BP(s) will be perfect! In any case, I have power feeds on all axis...

Lake.....I'm guessing....you are not married.;)

With my gun collection I walk out of the house with 2 guns and 3 cases...come back with 3 cases and..three guns. (this works best after you pass the 30 or 40 mark)

But....HOW.....do you smuggle in..... Bridgeports, though?

Been with the woman for 28 years! One BP is the same as two to her. She just avoids the mess and when they are both in a zillion parts, I bet I can squeeze a third in somewhere:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Been with the woman for 28 years! One BP is the same as two to her. She just avoids the mess and when they are both in a zillion parts, I bet I can squeeze a third in somewhere:greenchainsaw:

Mine sleeps heavy. You wouldn't believe what I've got by her in the last 24 years. At this point, either would she.:clap:

Latest posts

Back