Large Popular removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidowMaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a large Popular I am going to have remove this fall, its over 100' tall with about a 40 " stump.
I intend to have the dropped, the limbs and brush chipped and the stump. As most popular there are lots of sucker shoots coming from the running roots. What is the best way to kill these and the roots? I'm thinking I'' drill several holes angled down into the trunk and fill them with a herbiced about a month before have the tree removed. question is what herbicide to use???

If I have the limbs and brush chipped and spread thee chips over my field and disc or tilled in, will I have to fight sprouts for years to come???

Any help/advise appreicated.

WidowMaker

poplar is a weed that will try to regrow for a dozen years. The best way is to have the roots and stump ground out I'd think. I've got a cert to spray stumps with garlon ultra plus and that's good for stump suckers but not so much for roots.

What kind of Poplar? I would go the spray route first to get some herbicide into the root system. Have seen Locust root system put out sprouts for a few years on a removal we did in late winter one year after grinding the stump.

Do you intend to be there when it is cut? If you are , take a paint brush and brush the stump with glyphosate 41% concentrate within about 15 minutes of it being cut. Or you can drill it like you had mentioned and use the concentrate in the holes, 3/4 to 1" holes angled down and 6-8" deep.

Back