Laser Brand Piston Rings from Cutter's Choice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone put these $2 piston rings into their saw? If so, what were the results? They are certainly less expensive than Stihl rings but how good are they?

Reports on any experiences with these rings .would be appreciated...

Well considering that Stihl rings are about $15 each, Laser rings seem like a good alternative. I just got some from them and they are made by Tecomec. In a side by side comparison with new Stihl rings I could not tell the difference and they are working real well in the saw I put them in. The only unfortunate thing is that I only have a couple hours on them so I don`t know how they will hold up but I have no reason to believe that they won`t last well.

Russ

Hi Russ, I was just wondering how long it would take me to drive this skidder from Arizona to Toronto? Can anyone identify this skidder? Clark maybe?
John

John,

It would take you quite a while a few weeks possiblly..The machine looks like a Clark or maybe a Pettibone or something like that.

Rob.

Originally posted by jokers
Well considering that Stihl rings are about $15 each, Laser rings seem like a good alternative. I just got some from them and they are made by Tecomec. In a side by side comparison with new Stihl rings I could not tell the difference and they are working real well in the saw I put them in. The only unfortunate thing is that I only have a couple hours on them so I don`t know how they will hold up but I have no reason to believe that they won`t last well.

Russ

Thanks for the reply.

I'm putting together an order to C.C. and am going to order some of these rings and will try them out too.

Hey Gypo, you would be wise to get one of the guys to power tune it for you first and make sure that you have ample running lights. We actually had an older lady run into one from behind on a dead straight stretch of road at about 5pm on a summer night a few years ago, claimed she couldn`t see it until it was too late because it blended with the surroundings. Massive lawsuit which of course she won.

I think Magnum may be right, does look alot like a Pettibone. They used to build them not too far from me. Could also be a really old Clark but then I am no expert. Do you know what it is?

Russ

Last edited:
John,

So how much did it cost you ? I know you would not ask about travel unless you bought it. If you are serious I would advise not running it wide open on the road.

Bill

Hi Russ, not sure if its a Clark or not, but it should have turf tires for those quick exits into the rubbarb patch, or someones front lawn. It would be fun to do such a trip as one could find work along the way. Rob, I was thinking it might be an old tree farmer. Massey Ferguson once made a skidder too I think. The picture was taken from 1500 ft.. Hi Bill, I know what you mean about high speed road travel, just one pot hole and it could go into a speed wobble. Detroits are too noisy I think and pigs on fuel.
John

Yeah John it could be a old Tree Farmer and you are correct Massey Ferguson did build a skidder way back when,I remember seeing pictures of one in a old logging magazine I have around here somewhere.Speaking of Tree Farmers I'm going to look at a C 6 or C 7 can't remember which but I'am probably gonna buy it and don't anyone worry I'll be sure to post some pics of me operating it on a upcoming Pine harvest..So John where are you now ??Still in NH or what?

Later Rob.

Wow that is strange now that you blew it up thats a pretty old machine to be set up with a grapple or atleast a hydrauliclly operate arch..

Later Rob.

In the motorcyclr industry one company (ART) makes piston and ring sets for Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha. A marketing company out of California buys surplus part from ART and then re sells them under their house brand (Pro-X) at a cheaper cost than buying the same piston from a branded dealer. The Laser rings in question may be the same sort of deal as I know Husky and stihl use some of the same vendors for cylinders and piston/ring sets. The laser rings could simply be oem rings without the markup. Of course they could be junk mfg in central Uganda also. Try them and let us know.

Last edited:
Rings

I have used them for over 3 years and I haven't had any problems with them.
Later
Dan

Dozerdan sold me some

dozerdan hooked me up with the Tecomec piston and rings for my 026 PRO and they work fine. The piston looks VERY high quality - as good as the Stihl stuff. You will not be disappointed - get dozerdan to hook you up with some.

My money is on the tree farmer....it has the same front end as our old one...the ROPS structure looks to be the same design as well...come on Gypo...tell us what it is...

Back on topic...I personally haven't had good luck (pistons) with Tecomec but got slammed last time I said anything bad...lol...Mike Acres sells it and swears by it as well as alot of members here have had good luck. Possibly things have changed since I used them...(5? years ago)

Latest posts

Back