last made in America saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homie SXL.

My Father-in-law did a trip to the bush to help a village harvest firewood. He said everybody had old saws ( Stihls, Huskys, Macs) He worked on everybodys saw while they used his.

Too bad Homelite had that horrible name.

GPH85 said:
AHHH, you don't have to worry about it. You can keep the extra. I just paid whatever ebay told me to pay :dizzy:

Thanks Again,
Greg

HUH:jawdrop:

Well, Now I will need to sell you more parts so I can deduct the extra from your invoice. Seroiusly, just ask if you need anything.

Pitkas, I allways wondered about Homelites name, I thought it was ment to reflect that they made lightweight saws for homeowners, LOL, Wrong!

Homelite started off making Generators (Aka, "Light plants") for the homeowner/farmer market back when Electricity was new. In those days it was common for the power to go out and even more common for houses to be built with electric when there was no service yet in the area.

Since their needs were only for "Home Lighting" these early Light plants were 110v DC. They work very well for running lightbulbs, just dont plug anything else into them!

I have a pic around here somewhere of My Homie Light plant, lemmie find it.

Here they are.......

Notice that its not only happily purring away (After 60yrs) But its also making electricity.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fascinating Stuff Guys

You guys make me fell like a kid again, and I'm 47. Back in 73 I began my career in palms here in California, and was soon using the Homelite Super 2 dual trigger top handle trim saws, and to this day have never seen another dual trigger trim saw. I loved those saws and it was only when I got into hardwoods that I reluctantly switched to the Stihl 020.

I remember doing palm removals with a Homelite XL925 split case that got so hot it caught on fire. Aahhh to be a teenager again.

Great and informative post guys, keep it going!

jomoco

RaisedByWolves said:
HUH:jawdrop:
Well, Now I will need to sell you more parts so I can deduct the extra from your invoice. Seroiusly, just ask if you need anything.

Got any parts for the C-Series saws :D I'm always looking for some good parts ;) Especially coil assembly's and anything else :laugh:

I never had the luxury of running a SXL925 or any big super Homelite saw, but I do know that the SDC74 walbro carb for the Super 1050 made a world of difference on my modified saw, so I would assume that the "Super's" were great saws...

Just a quick thought... How long is the connecting rod on the 1050 compared to the connecting rod on the C-Series saws "they all used the same one"?

Thanks Again,
Greg

The Mac 10-10's are great... and many still doing an honest day's work... But don't forget the Mac 250. A great all-around workhorse!! I've got two of 'em.... both unrestored.... both still runnin' strong. The Mac 250 and the Homelite XL12... long in production and solid in reputation.

My Mac 610 is my daily user.... Yes, she's got some plastic on her.... but last Saturday she cut some long curlicues out of some 30-year-dead pear logs in an old orchard I'm clearing... while pouring chips out the back like a waterfall.... 610, 650, Timberbeast... great saws!!

Dang... I wish the mail service around here worked like this all the time. It usually takes a week at the least, just if you mail something to your neighbor around here.

Recieved the piston and cylinder and very nice packaging job, plus the parts were in great shape.

I was looking at the ports on the 1050 cylinder and realized that this is pretty much the same profile as what I've been porting out my C-Series saws to. They narrowed up the divider in the exhaust port and ran the ports straight in on the outside edges. Of course I do clean things up a tad bit better than this and will more than likely do the same to this cylinder, but in all, it's a fairly well planned out setup...

Now as long as it works on my C9, I'll be really happy :D

Lets not forget the old 10-10/700 McCulloch saws all metal no anti-vibe system and where still being sold up until their demise!!!!:greenchainsaw:

As well as the beloved 600-series platform (605/610/650/Eager Beaver/Timber Bear) that were made at the same time up until the late-90's when the latter models were made in Mexico, then finally dropped and the company was bought out by an overseas company. I'm not sure if the later 10-10's used the same engine as the 605, or if it was different, but at least similar CC, and in the same horizontal form.

Last edited:
My Poulan 330 is probably one of the last quality Made in USA saws. Serial number says its an 05 model, and it has plastic top covers but a mag crakcase and I think a mag or aluminum starter housing assembly. It's an old design to still be in production in the early 2000's, going back over 20 yrs to the older Pioneer/Partners. My only beefs are the plastic clutch cover and that it has a chrome cylinder instead of NikaSil, but oh well. And it has that same annoying Pull-on "whrrrrr" that the WoodSharks and WildThings have, only a bit deeper, a muffler mod should take care of that once and for all.

Latest posts

Back