Last Trip To The Woods For The Season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The days are getting long, and while the air is still cold (-9*F or -22*C), the sun is quite warm, which is melting the ice from beneath. This is bad because I have to cross many small sloughs, not wide, but deep and fast moving, to get where I need to go.

Telephoned an acquaintance in Kwethluk, a village 16 miles upriver, for a report on conditions up in the mountains, he told me it is still good, but he has seen some water on the sloughs. Bad sign that. So today will be my final run up that way.

I will head downriver to my wife's village for my sled and saw, a Husky 137, then begin back upriver to Kwethluk, and hang a left off the river towards the mountains 27 miles east. I was going to take my 394xp like usual, but yesterday I was cutting up a log still on the sled, and had an unfortunate encounter with a bolt. My newly sharpened chain, I am saddened to say, is toast. I had done all the cutting and only had two cuts to make, it was all going quite fast and I was being careful, but ZZZZZKKKKKKKkkrkrkrkrctthc!!!! That was that.

8:13 a.m., had some breakfast, now to drag my butt away from the comp to get dressed, warm up the snogo and hit the fuel depot to gas up on the way downriver to Napakiak. Tangerciikamken (means "see you later" in Yup'ik Eskimo)!

Maybe I'll take some pics.

Back