leaf scorch vs. bacterial leaf scorch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedAke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dumb question time. Is leaf scorch the same as bacterial leaf scorch? I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that leaf scorch can be a symptom of many types of tree stressors, while bacteria leaf scorch (Xylella fastidiosa) is a leaf disease.

Maybe it's just a matter of terminology but i need to clarify the differences (if there are any). :dizzy:

Well, hello old friend!

I agree that leaf scorch is a symptomatic disorder and bacterial leaf scorch is a disease.

good to see you in the forums.

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I knew that, but then again I'm never really sure what I know.

Yeah, look at me chatting it up with two whole posts.....woo-hoo! do I get a star or a flat tire by my name or something?

..woo-hoo! do I get a star or a flat tire by my name or something?

I'll give you a rep for taking the time to show up here! Welcome!!! :clap:

I agree with our friend WW. Leaf scorch is a symptom and bacterial leaf scorch a specific disease.

A visual diagnostic between the two (evidently) is the "halo" of yellow between the green leaf and brown edges found with BLS on some species.

Sylvia

Remember early in the year when we were discussing mycor and the inherent benefits? We came across data that stated how mycorr can lead to an increase in plant processes.

"We have also learned that the often higher stomatal conductance of mycorrhizal leaves is tied to slightly higher water potential gradients across leaves, consistent with the higher rates of gas exchange necessary to supply the carbon needs of the fungal symbiont"
(Augé et al. 2008).

We then surmised that since BLS is predisposed by water stress perhaps mycorr could be a companion treatment along with OTC to help suppress symptoms by diluting the pathogen populations within the plant.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2486461

seems to state that it does not matter the populations of pathogen since "Gambetta et al. (2007) used a highly sensitive detection technique to show that PD leaf scorch symptoms can form even in the absence of localized high concentrations of the bacteria and suggested that plant hormones may regulate such a systemic response."

:cheers:

What we have here is positive proof that tomatoes are a brain enhancer.

And WW, you are positive scary in your eloquence.

I think I remember talking about it...not nearly that clearly....I remember talking about mycor at some point. :cry: once, maybe twice.

Latest posts

Back