What to buy...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I think I might be in analysis paralysis. ;-) (Poulan, Remington, Husqvarna, Stihl)

I've been wanting to buy a chainsaw for a little while. Couple reasons:

Convenience... Nice to have one when needed. I've sometimes used my saws-all with a long blade, since i haven't had one handy, since my wife's little electric one went out.

Preparedness... Between living in Pacific Northwest (where the Cascadia Suduction zone quake is expected... some day), and the craziness of the geo/political climate these days, I've been of the mindset to put a little more effort into disaster preparedness.

Moving more rural... In the next month or so, I'll be moving from the suburbs to a place with a little over 10 acres, which is mostly (80%+) wooded with a variety of types of trees. There are definitely trees I'll want to cut down to improve the view of the valley, a couple dead ones that need to come down, and then I'll want to fell/buck some for firewood* from time to time.

*(LOL, when I first typed this, I typed "firewall" instead of "firewood." Yeah, I'm a IT guy by trade, but also mechanically inclined. I've rebuilt single cylinder motorcycles, clutches, do my most of my own car maintenance, etc.)

So, here's my story so far... A few months ago, I saw a Poulan Wild Thing on sale for only $120, and it was the last one (at Bi-Mart), so I impulse bought it, figuring I could take it back if I didn't want it. I had it for a few days, then started my initial research for "Best chainsaw for under $200." After following that research path for a while, I had decided on a Remington RM5118r. I returned the Wild Thing, still in the box, and had the Remington on my mind as "the plan" for quite a while.

During the recent winter storm here in Oregon, we had a lot of snow (about 9" at my current place, which is WAY more than we normally ever get) and one of the trees in my year started slowly falling over; I heard a weird sound at about midnight that repeated ever minute or so, and it turned out the tree was leaning against the roof/side of the house, and it kept slipping another inch or two. I got up on the roof and used my saws-all to cut the top ~6' or so, stopping just as I heard the slightest crack, then let if fall very slowly as it kept cracking. I then cut off a few more 2' sections, until it seemed light enough to not have further problems for the rest of the night. In the morning, I was back to "Yeah, I REALLY should go buy a chainsaw to finish cutting down this tree, and because I've been wanting one for quite a while.

So, I start looking at prices on the Remington, then start wondering, "I wonder if I could maybe get a used Husqvarna or Still for around the same price...? Maybe I'd be better off with one of those, long term, including from the preparedness point of view, that it would be good to have a higher quality, longer lasting saw, in the event that I couldn't just go buy another or get parts (e.g. after a natural disaster) if it stopped working.

While doing further research, I ran across this site and have been doing TONS of reading on here (and some other sites, but this site seems to have the most useful info, though sometimes clouded with brand wars and pro vs non-pro wars, hehe).

Anyway, I'd really like to keep it inexpensive as possible (buying a new house, all the inspections, earnes money, appraisals, etc has kept spending money to a minimum lately), but don't mind paying a bit more for a better tool, if it's truly worth it from a quality/longevity point of view. After searching around, here's options I've found in the local area:

New:
-Poulan Pro PP5020AV: ~$150 (Rated great for a home saw at some sites, but not at all on others)
-Remington RM5118r: ~180 (Rated well for inexpensive home saw, but maybe lacking some features)

Used (all Husqvarna):
-Husky 440: $150 firm, "lightly used (one winder season to cut wood for fireplace), selling to cover medical bills"
-Husky 353 E-Tech: $200 (Listed at $275, but later in the text says "don't offer less than $200"), got in trade, ran it through the shop, 160psi compression, checked all functions and adjusted new chain and oiler; top notch condition, will take broken saws and power equipment in trade; an old retired technician trying to keep busy and avoid honey do list.
-Husky 455 Rancher: $250, "Like new barely used."
-Husky 455 Rancher: $300, "Barely used, country boy moved to city" (pics look a little nicer/cleaner then the $250 one) (I'd probably offer $250, as I'd like to stay under that for now, at least until I get moved, then maybe I'll have extra money and see how regularly I'll be using them)

Analysis so far: Looks like the 440 has notably more power (and maybe lighter) than either of the new ones, and is attractively priced; If I could have gotten by with either of the new ones, the 440 would probably be quite a bit nicer than either of them... The 353 and 455, have notably more power (nearly the same) than the 440, but do I need it? There are definitely some larger trees on the property I'm buying, and a 18"-20" bar is what I've been leaning toward. In some placed, the 353 is quoted as being more of a "pro level" saw (though I'm sure many people would say "it's not an XP series, so it's not pro level) than the 455, but I also don't see as many 353s around, and it's an e-Tech saw, so I've read that they're somewhat prone to overheating, if you don't get rid of the cat exhaust. Likewise, it seems maybe the 353 is an older gen saw than the 455s, but maybe also maybe lighter/easier to handle, and less vibration than the 455. I think I also read that the 353 is a split magnesium case saw, which seems to be a generally preferred option to clamshell designs. Feature-wise, the only differences I'm seeing is that MAYBE the 440 might have a visible fuel level (which doesn't seem like a big deal to me... if/when my weed-eater runs out of gas, it stop, and I fill it), and the 353 doesn't have felling marks (but don't see any reason to care about that), and finally, the 455 and 353 have side mount chain tensioning, but not sure about the 440 (might be tool less, but maybe that's just the e-series), and I don't think the 440 has an adjustable oil pump (useful or not big deal?).

As I've read many times on this site, you can always get a little better saw for a little more money, and that seems to be part of the issue I'm seeing here, but I'm just note where they best VALUE is here. At $150 for the 440, would I be better off buying one of the new saws? If I add another $50, is it worth the extra $50 for the 353? Is the little bit of extra HP, an X-Torq engine, and the ability to run 3/8 chain pitch instead of .325 (but also the cost of a little more weight) worth yet another $50-100 to move to the 455? Are any of these likely to last way longer then others?

Thoughts on these options? Thanks.

P.S. Here's a quick reference on the specs of the Husky saws I mentioned above...

Note: This spec includes the 440 e-series, but I think the saw I listed above for $150 is just a regular 440 (it doesn't seem to say "e-series" anywhere), if that makes a difference.

HusqvarnaSpecs.jpg

Like i've mentioned many times before on this forum, I just love my 353. Never missed a beat. I've been using it for 6 or 7 years now. And it has been put to work hard. And still it is my "go to" saw as soon as a 15" blade will do.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Here's a couple pics of the specific used saws I've mentioned above:

440 for $150:
Husky440.jpg

353 for $200:
Husky353.png

455r for $250
Husky455-250.jpg

455r for $300
Husky455-300.png

Like i've mentioned many times before on this forum, I just love my 353. Never missed a beat. I've been using it for 6 or 7 years now. And it has been put to work hard. And still it is my "go to" saw as soon as a 15" blade will do.

I can't tell from the picture for sure, but to me looks like an 18"-20" bar on it, and the specs say it can handle up to a 20" bar. Do you think it works great with a 15" bar, but might question it to run an 18" bar?

In addition, there is one downside on starting off with a pro type saw (353 is basically a 346xp with half a hp less). I was looking for an extra saw (who doesn't) and tried some saws from the dealer and from friends, and you immediately notice what the homeowner saws are. The 400 series husky's just feel wrong. To much weeblewoble in every part. You get used to quality very easily. I don't even understand the stihl type numbering, but I could quickly tell if it was a home owner or a pro saw after playing with it. Buy a 353/555 or any husky xp/stihl pro saw and never regret the extra money spend. Or save a couple of bucks and buy an pro dolmar/makita/echo. I've heard you can pick up an ex rental makita 6400 series in the states. Since it basically been replaced by the 6100. For not a lot. Don't go home owner if you appreciate a nice tool.

I would say about 10cm bar per hp. (Easier when you are from europe). 4" per hp I guess. 20" will just make it bogg down and make it feel like an underpowered tool. It's not a powerfull saw anyway.

Any Echo CS 590's around there, that should be a fair 20" bar saw you may find in your price range. If you have a disaster and need to cut up some big trees, you will be at it a lot longer with smaller saws and more likely to exceed their mechanical limits. 455 Rancher, may be, I haven't much experienced them. I have come across a high percentage of the smaller Husky saws around here, with scored pistons over the last 10 years or so. That said I have a Jonsered 2141, which I think it is the same engine as a Husky 340, with an 18" bar and it pulls it fine but I seldom use it when my wood is over 12". I keep the carb fined tuned and run an richer oil mix and feel confident how I use it which isn't a real lot but it will cut a small pick up load of firewood for me once in a while or help when I have a lot of limbing on tree jobs. I wouldn't want to rely on it to cut up 15" and + diameter trees all day long especially in warm or hot weather. Might be OK but I would be much more confident and get the job done quicker with a larger displacement saw 60ish + cc.

+1 for the bigger saw as a 1 saw plan.

I run a 24 on mine all the time i use this more than my big saws over four years now. 369.00 free ship ebay$_1.JPG

What is it? Or are you pulling my leg?

Dolmar 5105 just in a different color were sold out now they have more if i didn't have like six 50cc saws id buy one lol

Those are the nice things to know! The 5105 is a nice little saw. But that is the biggest they sell.

The 590 isn't being sold in Germany or the Netherlands. But I did try the 620. Which should be comparable. That was nicely build! A bit heavy for the power and silly expensive over here. Mor than a 372xp.

I don't need it at all but I've been looking at the shindaiwa 600sx same as the 620 echoes doing a price drop on these saws as well.

Well, now that people have brought a couple other ideas to the table:

-I see a local craigslist posting for a "new in-box echo 20" 59.8 cc" "has receipt for full 5 yr warranty" with a link showing the CS-590 for $490 on HomeDepot.com, but they're asking $320

-The Maruyama Amazon MCV51 (aka Dolmar PS-5105) looks to be a nice saw too, for $329 on Amazon

So, those are a couple other nice, options, at a reasonable price for new saws... Not sure I'm getting any closer to deciding on something, now that there are more reasonably good options on the table, but options are nice, though it's always just another $50*, LOL. ;-)

*But maybe another $50 is worth it, to get a brand new saw?

Recap now (basically in order of price):
New (local stores):
-Poulan Pro PP5020AV: ~$150
-Remington RM5118r: ~$180

Used (all Husqvarna, local, craigslist):
-Husky 440: $150 firm, "lightly used"
-Husky 353 E-Tech: $200, "got in trade, old retired technician trying to keep busy"
-Husky 455 Rancher: $250, "Like new barely used."
-Husky 455 Rancher: $300, "Barely used, country boy moved to city" (pics look nicer/cleaner, probably offer $250)

New-ish/Bigger:
Echo CS-590, $320, "New in Box" with receipt (local, craigslist)
Maruyama MCV51 (Dolmar PS-5105), $329 (new on Amazon, free shipping)

As to the "1 saw plan" mentioned above, yeah, as you guessed, I'm tending (at least for now) to want a good quality all-purpose saw that will be my only saw, at least for a while... Who knows, maybe I'll want to get a smaller, lighter saw for my wife at some point, if she wants one, and maybe I'll want something bigger that I could hook up to a small mill or something (some day down the road), but for now I'm looking for a "1 saw to rule them all" saw for the time being.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. :)

P.S. If there are any on this list that just don't make any sense, given others on the list, let me know. For example, if I had a used 25cc, 1HP, Black and Decker that weighed 20 lbs and cost $500, on this list, it just wouldn't make any sense compared to the other options, so likewise, if there are options above that are not as good (or just plain a bad idea/option), but cost more, then help me knock them off my list. :D

Ok. Skip the first two and the husky 400 series. Far to expensive compared to a new 5105 or 590. Btw what kind of trees do you expect to cut with it?

Back