Leaking oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedtree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a Husky 262XP and it leaks a fair amount of oil when sitting unused. I store it upright, and the oil appears to be coming from the bar/drive sprocket area (where the pump outlet is). It's not leaking from the filler cap, and I don't think the case is cracked or anything like that.

Is this normal or si there some seal I need to replace?

Thanks,

Peter

Oil leak

After using the saw, unscrew the oil cap and release the pressure then store it!

Thanks guys! I've had the same problem with my new (to me) 372XP as well. Though I did notice today that I had oil coming out of the side around the bar studs/nuts.... I'll have to track that down now. I've got a feeling it may be due to some dirt/dust, etc.

Dan

doc874 said:
After using the saw, unscrew the oil cap and release the pressure then store it!
That will fix it. The oil tanks have a little pressure in them. Homelite put duckbill valves in some of there saws to keep them from leaking. Good call Doc!!!

Regardless of saw brand or model, when a customer brings a saw into the shop complaining of oil leakage I do a simple test. Remove the bar and chain, fill the oil tank, do a quick start up to make sure oil is coming from oil outlet(to make sure oil is in the line). Then I loosen the oil cap to relieve any pressure and wipe off the entire area around where the bar mounts and set the saw on the floor on a piece of cardboard overnight.

Majority of time it has no leak. What the customer called a leak was nothing more then drip off of oil left on bar and chain and under the side cover when the saw was last used. If there is a leak, it's source can most times be seen at this time.

Back