Leaky STIHL ms200t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderArborist

Reaction score
I recently purchased a brand new ms200t. Also bought a plastic tray to use to transport it in my vehicle. By the time I got home I noticed a tiny bit of bar oil on the bottom of the saw. I wiped it clean, started the saw, ran it at low to mid rpm's for a few minutes, shut it off, and placed it in the tray. The next morning there was a puddle (2-3 inches diameter) of bar oil under the saw in the tray. Cleaned the saw, ran it again the same way again, set it in the tray, checked it a few hours later, and same thing resulted.... a small puddle of bar oil under the saw. I took the saw back to the dealer (STIHL authorized). Their reply was that "all saws leak bar oil".

Now.... I have worked as an arborist for 6 years and used many, many different STIHL saws. Other then the ones that were damaged by dropping them or otherwise, I have never had an ms200t or any other saw leak in this way, let alone a brand new one that hasn't even made a cut yet.

Without getting into the usual bashing between saw manufacturers, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem.

Thank you much in advance.

Yes, all saws will get a bit of drip back of bar oil, if your running it not in the wood just revving it up you'll get more oil collecting in the clutch cover, and when you put it down it will drip back out of there allot more.

If you got doubts and you are still under the 90 day mark then I would ask for a fix or another saw if it is more than a normal amount. The oiler is set a little high on my ms200 but not enough to make a puddle. It may be a simple oiler adjustment. I would look in to either or. It is your dealers job to get the merch to you in the best possible running condition, their obligation is in the first 90 days though if you are running it commercially. Good luck

Usually if the inside of you car is hot the oil will expand and push small amounts out the oil tank vent hole. This is common if the saw is sitting outside at 20 degrees, then you place the saw into a 85 degree enviroment.. The gas will also expand and cause pressure bleeds but this is way more common than the oil tank depressurizing.

Pretty much all saws will leak bar oil if you aren't running them in wood. The wood chips soak up extra oil. Run it in wood and you'll see the problem go away guaranteed.

Leaky MS200T

I have the same experience. Bought a new Stihl MS200T 2 years ago, also bought a new MS660 mag. at the same time. Both leak bar oil. The 200 seems to leak more than the 660, but both do leak. I also noticed it on my backup 029, but that saw is about 10 years old. I ask about the leak when talking with my Stihl dealer, he said they all leak a little, and not to worry about it. It really has not caused a problem other than the small puddle needing cleaned up. Come to think of it my Husqvarna 61 also leaves a small puddle in the case between jobs. I found a similar issue addressed before here on this site. Guy had an 038, said the plug was chewed up...replaced plug...fixed problem...I don't think this is our problem, not on new saws.

Pretty much all saws will leak bar oil if you aren't running them in wood. The wood chips soak up extra oil. Run it in wood and you'll see the problem go away guaranteed.

+1

It seems like if I clean all the chips out of the cover and around the sprocket, and then DON'T use it, it will leak a little... After there's some chips built up in there a little bit, it doesn't leak at all...

Thanks!!!

Wanted to say thank you much to everyone for their input!!! My first posting experience on this site was most helpful.

Stupid me for not even thinking that without actually cutting wood the oil has no where to go/ be absorbed, except all over the inside of the cover. Having never owned my own saw, things like breaking the engine in properly were a concern of mine. It's not anything I have ever had to think about, working for someone else. Running it thru various low to mid rpm ranges first, without cutting wood, was how I proceeded thinking that it would be good not to put a load on the engine initially. It just didn't dawn on me what results by doing that. Putting money out for my own saw caused a little paranoia obviously! Ha ha!

I had emailed STIHL about the issue and they did ask what bar oil was being used, due to different possible viscosities. The dealer used Echo bar oil (why I don't know- cheap bastards. Ha ha!). So that probably didn't help either. Once again thanks everybody!!

funny that you mention that...as i am currently facing the same problem with my 200t

I recently purchased a brand new ms200t. Also bought a plastic tray to use to transport it in my vehicle. By the time I got home I noticed a tiny bit of bar oil on the bottom of the saw. I wiped it clean, started the saw, ran it at low to mid rpm's for a few minutes, shut it off, and placed it in the tray. The next morning there was a puddle (2-3 inches diameter) of bar oil under the saw in the tray. Cleaned the saw, ran it again the same way again, set it in the tray, checked it a few hours later, and same thing resulted.... a small puddle of bar oil under the saw. I took the saw back to the dealer (STIHL authorized). Their reply was that "all saws leak bar oil".

Now.... I have worked as an arborist for 6 years and used many, many different STIHL saws. Other then the ones that were damaged by dropping them or otherwise, I have never had an ms200t or any other saw leak in this way, let alone a brand new one that hasn't even made a cut yet.

Without getting into the usual bashing between saw manufacturers, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem.

i must say my 372XP and my 338XPT have never leaked a drop,even with winter weight oil...dont know what else to say...

200T460660001.jpg

I just put my solution to the leaks under the saw. LOL

Yes, all saws will get a bit of drip back of bar oil, if your running it not in the wood just revving it up you'll get more oil collecting in the clutch cover, and when you put it down it will drip back out of there allot more.

Yes, this sounds perfectly normal!

stihl ms 200t oil leak problems solved

Oil leak problems? ..As we all know diagnosis is the tuff part ...here is a lil something to clear that up...just another late night in the kitchen.. (watch the 4 youtube videos i made)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44qjDB2vN5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxIq6xcwfxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfhcheLK0Uo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BjIGRT6Y5U

Last edited:
Oil leak problems? ..As we all know diagnosis is the tuff part ...here is a lil something to clear that up...just another late night in the kitchen.. (watch the 4 youtube videos i made)

20110219230313.mpg - YouTube

20110220000423.mpg - YouTube

20110219230506.mpg - YouTube

20110220000227.mpg - YouTube

So the fix is a new oil line to seal against the pump and housing where it goes through? Or the rubber grommet is causing the leak? I've got one that has less than a tank on it and it's doing the same thing. Over a couple weeks I bet it leaked 2 or 3 ounces. I don't have any other saws that leak that much - a few drops sure, but not ounces. Thanks.

Waylan

So the fix is a new oil line to seal against the pump and housing where it goes through? Or the rubber grommet is causing the leak? I've got one that has less than a tank on it and it's doing the same thing. Over a couple weeks I bet it leaked 2 or 3 ounces. I don't have any other saws that leak that much - a few drops sure, but not ounces. Thanks.

Waylan

His leak was coming from the "connector" (as stihl calls it) part# 1129 647 5701. The round rubber between the ouput of the pump and the oiler orifice for the bar.

Latest posts

Back