Leaning Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright so I'm new to the forum, but terribly not new to tree work, but I had a question that maybe you guys could help me with. I went to estimate a job last week, and it was a maple that was absolutely dead as a doornail. It is leaning toward the house but not over it. The guy doesnt want to pay for a crane and i cannot rig it to itself or i might become a pro tree rider if you know what i mean. There are no other trees close enough to rig it into and Im not sure why i took the job since i dont have a bucket truck. Anyway ive gotta do it and i can only get about 10 ft from the top it looks like without it being too thin to climb on. My plan is to climb as high as possible and put 2 ropes in it, one just tied to a tree directly opposite of the house and the other tied to a tree at like 120 degrees from the house and then put a come along on that rope and jack the heck out of it. The top is the only section in worried about and i will probably just cut it enough and let the groundsman break it off his direction with the come along and i may even climb down for that. Im not normally worried but this tree is SOOO dead. Unless anyone has better ideas. Oh also i forgot to mention the tree is about 40-50ft tall and im going to be cutting the top out probably 20 ft down with my rope about 8-9 ft from the very top. I have a big shot but i can climb just as high with spurs as i could get a useful rope in it. Thanks replies will be much appreciated

Alright so I'm new to the forum, but terribly not new to tree work, but I had a question that maybe you guys could help me with. I went to estimate a job last week, and it was a maple that was absolutely dead as a doornail. It is leaning toward the house but not over it. The guy doesnt want to pay for a crane and i cannot rig it to itself or i might become a pro tree rider if you know what i mean. There are no other trees close enough to rig it into and Im not sure why i took the job since i dont have a bucket truck. Anyway ive gotta do it and i can only get about 10 ft from the top it looks like without it being too thin to climb on. My plan is to climb as high as possible and put 2 ropes in it, one just tied to a tree directly opposite of the house and the other tied to a tree at like 120 degrees from the house and then put a come along on that rope and jack the heck out of it. The top is the only section in worried about and i will probably just cut it enough and let the groundsman break it off his direction with the come along and i may even climb down for that. Im not normally worried but this tree is SOOO dead. Unless anyone has better ideas. Oh also i forgot to mention the tree is about 40-50ft tall and im going to be cutting the top out probably 20 ft down with my rope about 8-9 ft from the very top. I have a big shot but i can climb just as high with spurs as i could get a useful rope in it. Thanks replies will be much appreciated

ya i would do all that , then give him the price for the crane to come out,
and give him your number and have him give you a call after he has saved up enough

This could be spam.

This time of year? I would say the guy obviously doesn't have enough to challenge him.

No, it wouldn't surprise me if another newbie hasn't got himself in over his head. I used to do the same but I would get myself out THEN brag about it. Not go begging advice from those I knew to be better men.
Anyway:

Good for you dude. Did you at least underbid it? I would have to say that you are gonna have to post some pics of this things otherwise alls we have to tell you is goodbye and hope it don't hurt forever.

As TreeVet would say "pics, or it didnt happen" Gotta have pics dude, cant give advice on a fake image in our little brains.

I castrated the twin goat kids yesterday, and not sure if I should post pic...

Sounds to me like a job for an ASV skidsteer, a fancy cut and a redirect... anyone know anybody good at that?

alright guys i appreciate all the help... oh wait. No im just kidding but basically isnt that what the forum is for? to help people who need it. I am not in over my head either i just went ahead and told the guy hes gonna need a crane if im gonna do it. Ill put up some pictures tomorrow and i mean i just dont understand why you all have to be so critical isnt the point of this whole thing to help people. Even if i am new ish to tree work excuse me for not knowing all the tricks of the trade and not always planning out a job correctly at 19. Thanks for the help i did get. Ill show pics tomorrow and im not sure if hes gonna go for it or not since i included the crane price. Im gonna do a smaller tree for him pretty cheap because i feel bad for telling him the original price wrong. I think thats how you get people to trust you. But hey, learn from mistakes. ps: really looking forward to getting my tits ripped off every time i ask a question on here

The thicker your skin is the better off you'll be here. Nobody is here to discourage you from doing tree work,however most of us have been there and done that and know how fast $hit can get REAL serious and nobody here wants you killed or crippled. Have you ever done a crane removal before?

The thicker your skin is the better off you'll be here. Nobody is here to discourage you from doing tree work,however most of us have been there and done that and know how fast $hit can get REAL serious and nobody here wants you killed or crippled. Have you ever done a crane removal before?

yeah one got any tips? it was small. Thanks i understand

ss, good call on backing out of climbing dead tree, doesnt matter if you gave price, dont fell bad, your life is worth way more man

yeah one got any tips? it was small. Thanks i understand

If the crane guy knows tree work he'll let you know where to put your straps and make the cuts. It'll cost a little more time wise for the crane having to instruct you a little. I lived in Boone NC back in the early 90s beautiful country.

As others have said, post some pics for better advice, but still expect a little tough love, you are now dealing with pros who have done this stuff all day every day for longer than you've been on the planet! Not that I'm one of em, mind you... There is great wisdom AND humor AND b.s. here, good luck sorting it out! :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Don't give up on Arborist 101. It is a great site for learning tree work from pros. Some of the guys are helpful and some are hilarious because it is the nature of this type of work.

Most trees can be pulled (use two pull points in long dead trees) or use gin point in near by trees to lower. Dont mind these old farts with pms. Meaning old farts with way to much time on there hands. And check out the other tree websites.

Reading the original posting, you stated the tree is only 50' tall and you can climb within 10' of the top. Why not just climb it and piece it down? Unless if was previously broken, that 10' top won't be that heavy. Use a stick saw/pole pruner to cut small pieces if need be. A crane seems like overkill on this, if you can climb that high. If you can only climb 10' into the tree, then a different strategy would be required.

We really need pics.

Back