Leave gas in or out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kidd

Where's Fish?
Reaction score
I typically leave fuel in my saws but with this ethanol bull crap I'm not so sure? I normally run Shell 93 with AST(Amsoil) stabilizer. I'm not so sure a stabilizer will counter the effects of alcohol in the fuel system. Like to have some SEF94, but 12$ a gallon plus haz mat and shipping..well it's a little too rich for my six-shooters.

Lots of info on this one if you search for it... I personly fuel my stuff up at the begining of the season, use it all summer and then run em dry and stoe them dry, the fuel is not good for more than 3 months tops... If I need the saw over the winter, mix up a batch of FRESH gas use it, and run it dry again. I use the old gas in my jeep... it doesnt care what it gets...

Depends on what yur usage plan is.

I have a few old saws just for collecting sake, and drain them every time I run them. Its just not worth it, even though I have available (and use) E0 gas. OTOH, if I used equipment every week, I wouldn't be afraid to leave gas in it, even E10.

I notice a lot of people are keeping track of how old their gas is. Little station I was at a couple weeks ago offered free hang tags to tie on gas cans to help keep track of it.

Says that its a widely-known problem. I saw a pamphlet from an ethanol plant admitting that storing E10 WAS a problem, and I was slightly offended, as it was written from kind of a loony lib point of view; their suggestion was to buy only what you'd need for the weekend. Probably meant for boaters or off-roaders: who'd buy a pint of gas for the weedeater?

My wife's folks have more-or-less abandoned the lake cabin now; its still in the family, and everybody still uses it. As we're closest, we get to go check on it, and do maintenance. Rather than haul a mower, weed whip, etc. back and forth, we keep stuff there. Its 40:fuel time for the Jonsered 2040 and little Husqvarna weedeater. I know its good, won't go bad over the summer, and it really doesn't cost THAT much to have a couple of quarts at the ready. When WE go there, messing with old fuel isn't very high on the priority list. And the other relatives seem to be happy with that plan, too.

I predict the day will soon come that most makers will require a packaged fuel or warranty will be void. I don't see any reason that dozens of packagers cant get on the bandwagon, drive prices down within reason, and make it available everywhere. It can't be any harder to blend than any other petro product.

Lots of info on this one if you search for it... I personly fuel my stuff up at the begining of the season, use it all summer and then run em dry and stoe them dry, the fuel is not good for more than 3 months tops... If I need the saw over the winter, mix up a batch of FRESH gas use it, and run it dry again. I use the old gas in my jeep... it doesnt care what it gets...

More than a month run it dry....

Good advice there. Back before MTBE and ethanol........folks used to talk about carb diaphragms and gaskets "drying out", so they'd leave fuel in the equipment all the time. Nowadays, both 'oxygenates' do more harm than good to the fuel system (softening rubber parts, corroding steel and brass, plus just plain 'going bad') so draining and running dry after a month or so is the best bet. When I was a kid, we used to leave gas in some of the eguipment for years without it going bad. Not anymore...

I'm putting all my small power equipment on the wagon......no more dang alky pump gas. Gonna be only SEF94 and/or avgas from now on...

So, is SEF94 good old fashioned gas? Normal gas components? If so with a stabilizer I can expect many months self life and keep it in my OPE engines?(2&4 cycle)
Like the good O' days.:clap::clap:

Last edited:
Good advice here. I have 2 Echo weedeaters that are around 10 years old, and I have left fuel in them all the time, with no ethanol-removing additives until this year. They both have never failed to run great. I do try to take better care of the saws, however.

Joe,

You're in NC for cryin' out loud. There's gotta be a dirt track or short track within 20 miles of you.:D

Every track has a Pump with Off road Racing gas.
Give 'em a call.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I like to keep most of my saws nice and dry. I dump the fuel, and then leave the cap off for a day or two so the tank will dry out. I also drain the fuel line by pulling if off at the carb, and run the saw to get the gas out of the carb itself.

Part of this thinking is from having a silly amount of saws. I don't want too many saws sitting with fuel, even if there was no E-10 to worry about. Saws that are currently in use or whatever might sit with some fuel for a few weeks.

Dumping the tanks is also a good way to keep them clean, and I don't re-use that fuel in saws. It all goes into the old push mower which runs happily week after week on that stuff. :cheers:

sounds like all you guys just dont run your saws often enough! If you arent using fuel regularly, no big deal. run your saws dry, and dont store gas more than a month. if youve had it that long, put it in your mower, or tip it into your car. no harm in throwing a little premix into a full tank of regular in your car. then start fresh again. fresh fuel=easy starting

Shaun

Latest posts

Back