Leg mounted saw scabbard ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
tweaked Zubat

Got interested in trying a leg scabbard for my Zubat after having seen one at another website, can't seem to remeber the name of it Tom Dunlap probably knows where :)
So last night I pulled out my sewing kit and got to work.
Some elastic ribbon and some plastic locks and some sewing.
The metal sign on the Zubat can be loosened and the ribbon put under it. Also removed the the belt holder completely.
Anyway here is how it turned out

That's a good looking scabbard. I set my Zubat up with straps too. For now I've used electrician's tape to hold the straps on. This allows me to move the strap up and down to see if that makes a difference.

On mine I put the male end really close to the scabbard so the buckles are on the front of my shin/leg. If I need to snug the buckle, the tail of the strap is easier to pull to the left when it's on the front.

Lately I've been putting the top strap above my knee and the lower strap just above my calf. My tape allows the scabbard and my knee to pivot so it doesn't act like a splint. I don't notice that it makes any difference in how I get around in the tree. The difference is that the saw is always at hand and out of the way too.

Buckingham makes a leg scabbard.

Tom

Ever since making the first cut while wearing a leg scabbard, I'll never go back. I changed mine into a knee scabbard. One strp is above the knee and one is above my calf. The straps hinge just a little so the scabbard doesn't act like a splint. Having a leg scabbard is very natural.

Tom

Leg scabbard

Very happy with mine. Its definatly a refinement that has made climbing smoother. I did move my lanyard/flipline to the opposite side to stop any tangling with the saws handle.
Tom ...how about a pic???...I think I know what you mean though.

I'm not as sold on it as Tom and Rob. It's different, but I don't like it better. Perhaps if I wore it above my knee?
I find the tail of my rope hooked on it regularly and also find it snaging on tree parts. It's not always within easy reach either.
I do have to say it looks cool though. After using it for a week or so, I hung it back in the truck and got out the hip scabbard. I may go back to it when the other scabbard wears out, or if someone is going to take my picture.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
I find the tail of my rope hooked on it regularly and also find it snaging on tree parts. It's not always within easy reach either.

This is what I worry about. I plan to try it out when I can get the bits & pieces together, but I can imagine ot getting caught up a lot in dense trees..my scabbard does that even hanging from a harness loop. I hate to think what would happen if it got caught just as you accidentally take a swing or slip. At least the harness takes the force if the scabbard is clipped there, if it's on your leg, the force is absorbed by your knee...ouch:eek:

I love my leg scabbard also. I have modfied my Zubat scabbard to work with only one strap right below my knee. It is very secure. Does get snagged now and then, but good out weighs the bad. Check out this link it has a pic of the Mod Hillbilly came up with. I used a nylon dog collar for the top strap, works great!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using a weaver leather leg scabbard I added one extra strap 3 total 2 just below my knee and 1 around my boot, the strap fits through the little loop on the back of my boot, very secure I'll never go back to a hip scabbard.

I've evolved from the scabbard issue

I used scabards from 7 years ago, up to 2 years ago as I was exhaustively testing the brands and styles of hand saws availavble to arborists. I smile fondly in reading this thread, seeing the innovations.... I really enjoyed those periods of modifying something to work better than it was designed as many of us do.

I still am constantly modifying gear to be more efficient and effective, but as far as the handsaw thing, I don't use a scabbard anymore. Same complaints as what I hear from you (hanging up on rope, branches, etc) The GREAT thing about a scabbarded saw it that it's right there - Quickdraw McGraw. My Silky Zubat was my favorite as I found the slightly larger Ibuki, well, a little too big for what I was doing. Also, both of these are curved blade saws.

I moved on to the straight blade Masaru, the same length and tooth style as the Zubat, and also in a scabbard. This excelled at doing face-cut wedges and back cuts for getting branches and small limbs to fell the direction you want them, and to snap off predictably. Still, the scabbard caused me the mild annoyance that I could see no way around (still, it's a rather minor annoyance. Couldn't re-scabbard the saw completely 'by feel' (without looking).

Then I entered into the Silky GOMBOY family. These are four folding saws, each a little bigger than the previous, and all have the awesome Zubat-style teeth. The biggest is 330 mm and this is currently my favorite folding saw. Early on, I just threw it down the front of my shirt and did the climb. Now what I've done is put two wraps of 14 gauge stainless steel wire through the hole at the end of the handle to create a stiff, one inch loop. This then can be clipped to the rear of my saddle. I can 'on' and 'off' it one handed, unfolding the blade is almost instantaneous and folding it up and clipping it back on takes maybe a couple seconds longer than a scabbard. But, I can do it without looking.

This system has become such a smooth and efficient mainstay for me, that I gave up using a top-handle chainsaw about 6 months ago in leiu of one with a bit more weight and a lot more power (Husky 346XP). With this setup, I have never been more effective up in a tree. In limbing, like John Paul, I like to make my face cuts, start my back cut, shut off the saw and finish the back cut with the hand saw. Much better control. Much safer, much more boiled down. I've since mounted a scabbard on the chipper and it's right there to Quickdraw McGraw the forked limbs that aren't like likely to collapse going in. A quick relief cut at the fork, and continue the feed. It's either that, or wrestle with the limb or fire up a chainsaw. I thoroughly love my Silky Saws.

TM-
I have the smallest of the Silky handsaws, used it almost all day today. I had a thread on it here titled 'Silky Super Accel'. Most of the advice I received was to buy a scabbarded saw, which I ignored. Glad I did, I hate scabbards. I found a perfect ring to put on the handle, I use a large split ring (keyring). It works great and I can grab or hang up the saw one handed. I don't always fold it up if I'm still working a lead, I usually only fold it up if I won't need it for a while. It works great and cuts a LOT faster than any Corona I've ever owned. I think my next one will be a larger folding saw also, this one is just a tad too small once in a while.

Super Accel, great Silky saw

Yes, it was actually the Super Accel that I referred to earlier that I would toss down the front of my shirt and do the climb. I loved that saw.

The Gomboy 330 mm is the replicate bigger brother to the Super Accel. The price on replacement blades are reasonable, too. If the Super Accel is just a bit too wee for some places, you'll just really like the Gomboy 330. Great idea on the ring through the hole in the saw's handle. Is it rigid and stationary, or does it 'pivot' ? If it is rigid and stationary, you can clip it back on to your saddle holding the folded body of the saw, rather than having to hold the ring.

Sherrill only lists the 240mm and 300mm Gomboy. 300mm is 11.81", so that should be good enough for my next one. The Accell is 210mm or 8".
The key ring on my handle pivots, so I actually have to hold the ring to clip it on. Haven't engineered a solid mounted ring yet. The Accell also fits nicely in the leg pocket of my one pair of Arborwear pants. It's about the only thing I've found that fits in that pocket. My phone is too wide for it, as is my cigarette pack.

dang Brian, cell phone, smokes, what else you carry in a tree?? Laptop for getting onto Asite? Get you one of those holders for a paint can. they seem to hold a tall boy perfectly.:D Uhhh...I heard!

I used to pack the cell phone with me too but it would ring and I wouldn't answer it - I figured it could do that in the truck just the same.

"hello, this is Nate, Im up in a tree right now so please leave a mesage... yes, we give free estimates."

Sounds lazy but I use whether they leave a mssg or not as a qualifier.

Never tried the leg scabbard - "Funda" in espanol

Latest posts

Back