My first bad build..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntaholic

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been involved deeply for several months now rebuilding saws, some were simple with just a P&C change, others were complete basket cases that took multiple saws to make one good runner. After going through all the "good professional saws" I could lay my hands on, I was finally down to a couple husqvarnas, a 51 and a 55. Of course I elected to make it a 55 lol. I confess now and up front that it was a farmertec P&C that I used but Ive had good luck with them before on some other low cost builds. This time however, NOT SO MUCH! I got it all together and after much more cranking and cussing than usual, it fired up. I was in the process of adjusting the carb when it just died like killing the switch. I cranked it back up and tried again but it died again, this time locking up tight! I thought oh crap, that's what I get for using 1 Chinese circlip. I ruined the OEM one taking it out so I had to improvise and use AM. I tore it back down and both clips were still snug and tight but in the bottom of the crankcase was whats best described as about 3/8ths of an inch of a sewing needle! I cant for the life of me figure out where it came from! All bearing cages are good, no sign of missing metal anywhere. Unless it was slag or slivers left in the cylinder from machining, I have no idea but its too hard to be aluminum, I cant bend the little piece of steel with my hands without it cutting me.

Sew (pun intended) what damage was done to “lock it up tight”?

Pictures?

Unless the sliver is a piece of broken tooling from drilling jug base holes or reaming the bore, I wouldn't think it would be from the Chinee cylinder.

More possible to be debris that was stuck up inside the piston dome.

Both wrist pin clips were still in and tight. Whatever it was came in on the intake side and scored 3 deep lines up the piston. The cylinder actually looks salvageable but as cheap as farmertec kits are I will replace it all. If it was a saw I was planning on using for work I would clean up the best factory jug and slap a meteor piston in it but its just a wood saw or trading material with full disclosure of whats inside it of course. I didn't even think to take any pics because I still haven't mastered the art of getting them posted here from my phone.

Ok, my first bad build just turned into my 2nd! I ordered another famertec P&C. It came in yesterday. Last night I smoothed it all out with scothbrite, washed it and had it ready to go together today. After work today I came in and went over the whole rotating assembly, crankcase, bearings, etc.... and put it back together. It fired on the 3rd pull, ran maybe 20 seconds and locked up AGAIN! :chainsaw::cry: I pulled it back apart and this P&C is scored in exactly the same place as the 1st one! :angry::wtf: WHAT AM I MISSING???? I would throw the damn thing over the hill now except its became a matter of principle to get it running. Im using a 55 P&C on a 51 crank and bottom end, is that an issue? It looks to me like every single part interchanges and is the same except for the larger displacement. Am I wrong?

I forgot to add, the scoring is 2 lines, almost half inch apart, and go from the bottom of the intake port all the way to the skirt. Its almost like its got 2 screw heads sticking through the cylinder making these gouges! But theres nothing there to do it! HELP!!!!

All I do is hit the “upload a file”tab at the bottom right of the reply box you type in. I don’t understand why others have to go to all these other “hosting sites”

Piece of bearing cage or metal coming up from the crank case if you are 100% sure there was no slivers that could flake off the cylinder or piston. Piston and cylinder will flatten and straighten metal after a few strokes.

Thanks Harley! That cleared it all up! :D Yeah Im sure there was NOTHING in the P&C this time around. I think Im going to do the 55 case instead of the 51 next time around until I scrape up the $$ to do a complete teardown and replacement on the 51. Like I said earlier, I would throw it over the hill if it wasn't a matter of principle now to make it run!

could it be the little pins that keep the rings from spinning?
Its not, trust me I looked at the 1st one that went bad AND the 2nd one too. Yall are right, its got to be something that Im missing and its almost got to be something in the bottom end. As soon as I get time Im going to build the other 55 case and let this one be for the time being.

Latest posts

Back