Old 028 WB difficulties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMay

Enthusiast (all saws}
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on it for a good friend. It started but would not spin up consistently or well. Compression was 145. Found a cracked impulse line and replaced it. Also replaced crankcase seals for good measure. Passed P and V testing well. Points were suspect so installed a chip. Saw then accelerated, started (cold and warm) well and idled Ok. But it would not come down off WOT immediately. Went back at it and snugged up a marginally tight intake boot clamp. Fired it up again but then it quit suddenly. No spark. I had another chip. Installed it and spark was back. However the saw then struggled to start and when it did it died quickly. I then noticed the chips were slightly different. The photo shows the chip that worked for a while then failed. It is marked with a red x. The unmarked replacement chip that did produce spark but made the engine struggle is definitely smaller. Its mounting hole is in a different location and I had to drill it a bit larger to accept the coil bolt. Are these chips designed and produced to differ in performance spec and is one specific to Stihls like an 028 WB?

Attachments

• 187E6CAD-9502-47C3-8BE3-4B24FE126B04.jpeg
    187E6CAD-9502-47C3-8BE3-4B24FE126B04.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I thank you all for your responses. Always get action quickly here. I will emphasize that the coil is not the problem. There is spark with the unmarked chip therefore the coil is working. So question is focused on those two chips. The that failed and the other that won’t enable the saw to start easily or run.

I thank you all for your responses. Always get action quickly here. I will emphasize that the coil is not the problem. There is spark with the unmarked chip therefore the coil is working. So question is focused on those two chips. The that failed and the other that won’t enable the saw to start easily or run.
So running a 029 coil will completely eliminate those chips needed for spark if im remembering right.

I always have a stack of old saws to grab one off of., I also keep the Stihl chips off of the old 011-009s for working on the old 031s.
I'm sure you have seen these SIG-01's . They work fine in an 031. Just bend the tab to fit that contour. I have no idea about longevity. But, most of this is sentimental around here anyway. Not a daily use saw usually.

Been looking at some photos and diagrams of that ignition module 0000 400 1300. In addition to the spark plug lead and the kill switch wire, there is a third wire shown. Appreciate some info on what that wire is for and what its connection points are. Thank you.

Been looking at some photos and diagrams of that ignition module 0000 400 1300. In addition to the spark plug lead and the kill switch wire, there is a third wire shown. Appreciate some info on what that wire is for and what its connection points are. Thank you.
Should be a ground install near coil on other saws it under plastic cover.

Are they unlimited coils Harley?
They are unlimited coils
The Chinese 000 400 1300 coils work fine for this. Don't think I would pay what Stihl wants for one.
So many real deal used Stihl coils why consider a Chi-Com one?

Probably could get a whole dead saw at a dealer for nothing.

1 coils.png

Makes sense that it is a ground. Hopefully I can just route it thru the rubber grommet and connect it to one of the holes for the points that are now open under the flywheel. Thanks again to all for the guidance. I don’t get to work on old Stihls that often. They sure are different animals than Huskys and Jreds.

Makes sense that it is a ground. Hopefully I can just route it thru the rubber grommet and connect it to one of the holes for the points that are now open under the flywheel. Thanks again to all for the guidance. I don’t get to work on old Stihls that often. They sure are different animals than Huskys and Jreds.
The screws that hold down the coil are grounds.

Back