Leg scabbard for zubat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone use a leg scabbard for your hand saw? I've always hung mine off my belt, but it gets wrapped up in my saw lanyard a lot. Thinking about ordering a new scabbard for my zubat with the leg bands, to strap it to my calf. Seems like my climbing line might get wrapped in it that way though. Thoughts?

Anyone use a leg scabbard for your hand saw? I've always hung mine off my belt, but it gets wrapped up in my saw lanyard a lot. Thinking about ordering a new scabbard for my zubat with the leg bands, to strap it to my calf. Seems like my climbing line might get wrapped in it that way though. Thoughts?

I personally never even considered putting mine on my calf. It just seems kind of weird and that it might work itself off. That being said, you could probably give it a try and if it doesn't work out, go back to wearing it on your saddle.

I am right handed and wear my hand saw on the right because I use it more than my chainsaw MOST of the time. I wear my chainsaw on the left and it stays out of my way better that way. I also tie my climbing knot on the left. I try to balance things out a little bit when I am up there.

I personally never even considered putting mine on my calf. It just seems kind of weird and that it might work itself off. That being said, you could probably give it a try and if it doesn't work out, go back to wearing it on your saddle.

I am right handed and wear my hand saw on the right because I use it more than my chainsaw MOST of the time. I wear my chainsaw on the left and it stays out of my way better that way. I also tie my climbing knot on the left. I try to balance things out a little bit when I am up there.

I wear my sughoi on my outside left calf, butt forward, and love it there. I used to carry it right, butt the butt would twist and catch under my knee.

Same here. My hand saw is on the right, well now to the right rear with this new belt lol, and chainsaw on the left. Been that way since day one and don't think I could get used to any other way.

I guess the first thing I'll try is moving my chainsaw to the left side. I do find myself reaching for the hand saw more often. I may try the left leg, butt forward technique too. Thanks.

I've tried leg straps with a sugoi and a zubat. Guys either love it or hate it. I hate it. I've tried all positions on both legs. Give it a try though, you may love it. I think the sugoi is probably a better leg saw than a zubat.

I use my zubat every day and love it. I often use it to finish topping cuts, or finish the back cut on delicate hinges. It's a lot safer than using the chainsaw. I also reach for it a lot on palms, and smaller limbs. I go through a blade about every 3-4 months. I carry my 200T on my right side, hung on a dale jury bungee lanyard hooked off the saw attachment point on a treemotion and then short hung on a large petzl carritool beener on the right side. Crap does get caught up around the saw and beener, like your pole strap, climb line etc. Not so much as you might think once you get used to it. It works well short hung, and I like it there.

I carry the zubat on the left side of the harness with the butt facing forward. I can reach across my body with my right hand and easily draw it. Of particular mention is that I don't hold the scabbard with my left hand when replacing the saw. I've gotten cut up a few times in past doing it. I now sheath the saw by just guiding it back into the scabbard with my right hand only. Those things are just too sharp when new and go right through gloves.

Shaun

I wear my zubat the same as imagineero. i am right handed and prefer to keep my chainsaw hung on the right. i find it easier and prolly safer to cross over with the zubat.

I like the 200T on the right side and the hand saws on the left side of the saddle.

Dont want it on my calf, have to reach down to get it everytime, and not a good place to keep it when foot locking......just my .02

I tried a leg scabbard a few years back, kept losing the saw out of it when moving around the tree, or it would get jammed in crotches when going through. Don't really use a handsaw much these days.

My scabbard came with leg straps also although I never tried them. I think it was some kind of a deal from Sherrill. You might want to check, I think they might be available as an accessory. Can't cost much, certainly cheaper than a new scabbard.

Saw pods are worth a mention too. I've tried one and it didn't do much for me but guys who use them swear by them. They spread the strap force over a wider area of your leg and you don't need to tighten them as much. They hold the saw more securely and stop it rotating around your leg. I'm sure an AS sponsor will have them. I think from memory they are about $30?
attachment.php

I run the same exact set up except my climbing hitch is on the right (away from chainsaw).

The saw pod got my $. Used it 1 day then gave it away. When your stretched out and need to cut a limb the last place you want to reach is all the way down on your lower leg.....in my opinion.

What I've done with my big hand saw is cut a v notch in the top of the handle. Then I took one of the retrieval balls. Its the 4-5" round piece of bungee with a plastic ball. Well loose the ball. Connect the bungee on scabbard so that you just lift it onto the vee notch. That wasy it doesn't fall out and it stops rope from getting caught.

Last edited:
I run the same exact set up except my climbing hitch is on the right (away from chainsaw).

The saw pod got my $. Used it 1 day then gave it away. When your stretched out and need to cut a limb the last place you want to reach is all the way down on your lower leg.....in my opinion.

What I've done with my big hand saw is cut a v notch in the top of the handle. Then I took one of the retrieval balls. Its the 4-5" round piece of bungee with a plastic ball. Well loose the ball. Connect the bungee on scabbard so that you just lift it onto the vee notch. That wasy it doesn't fall out and it stops rope from getting caught.

Good point on being stretched out and having to get your saw, didn't think about that one.

I really like that idea using the homemade handsaw retainer clip. I have noticed that my Sugoi likes to make inappropriate exits from time to time without telling me. That in itself is a danger to the ground guy but I was doing an emergency removal one night this past January and it disappeared early on. I was not happy about that and was not able to find it until I came back down and cleared some brush. Of course it had positioned itself under something that was about to be cut....

Back