legal question .... tree dropped on fence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its possible if the guy who dropped the tree has homeowners insurance that they will pay under certain circumstances. I'm covered under my home owners ins. if I'm cutting at someone else's place and have a covered mishap.
should have calle dPolice and g
It wasn't an act of god so you have the right to sue tree company and homeowner
Technically you are correct.

If you're not going to use your insurance you should cancel it, there is no hassle just a phone call, fixing someone elses damage is a hassle, you are not a victim you are a volunteer.

If you're not going to use your insurance you should cancel it, there is no hassle just a phone call, fixing someone elses damage is a hassle, you are not a victim you are a volunteer.

true but isn't insurance supposed to be for catastrophic events like tornados, car accidents, huge medical bills etc? Not small everyday expenses.

what if his deductible is higher than the claim? doesn't make sense to file anything then as its less money just to fix the fence

true but isn't insurance supposed to be for catastrophic events like tornados, car accidents, huge medical bills etc? Not small everyday expenses.

what if his deductible is higher than the claim? doesn't make sense to file anything then as its less money just to fix the fence
The homeowner (neighbor) is responsible for the deductible, it was his tree that he cut down on his property.

I read all 3 pages to find out what the damage amount was. That's 5 minutes I'll never get back...
Homeowners insurance-use it-believe me, they will get their $ back from your neighbors company, and should also get back your deductible.

I read all 3 pages to find out what the damage amount was. That's 5 minutes I'll never get back...
Homeowners insurance-use it-believe me, they will get their $ back from your neighbors company, and should also get back your deductible.

Yea it would probably be $500 or so to fix if done right. Yea insurance deductible is $250 if i remember right. But they will hold that small of a claim against you in the future cost of your insurance. Its the fact that i should not have happened at all, people just in a hurry and being lazy. I absolutely guarantee with their equipment and I am no pro arborrist by any mean I could have taken it without a problem.

I don't know how it is today, but in the late 1990's my neighbor had 2 homeowners insurance claims within a year. 1) Branch came off a tree in their back yard during a storm and broke a bunch of roof tiles.
About 10 months later they were on vacation and came home to a soggy house. (house is built on a slab). Plumbing fixture came apart in the bathroom....

Not a month after their 2nd claim was fixed, they got a notice saying that they were being dropped. They had a LOT of scrambling to do to find insurancein time, and had a hard time finding some because of being dropped. The first claim was for less than $500, I don't know what the 2nd one was for.

3 years after I moved from there, I found out that the owner had to gut my old house, and completely re-do the plumbing. It seems the builder used the wrong type of copper pipe for direct burial under the slab and after 20+ years it rotted away. They had to basically pull up 50% of the slab, replumb and repack before pouring a new slab. Contractor went out of business when the development was completed, which was common practice in Southern California at the time the house was built. (late 70's) - or at least that's what I was told.

Why on earth does someone spend the money for a $250 deductible when they're afraid the insurance company is going to raise their rates if they put in a claim?

Boost it up to $1000 or $5000 and save yourself some money. Probably enough in the first year to pay to fix the fence.

Do you know the company name of the hack? I'm assuming you're neighbor found him on Craigslist. Run adds over and over with pictures and state their not insured and won't help... This is happening in my area the hacks will always be hacks and Craigslist is all they have. .. The so called tree service changes their name every 2 or 3 months...
Where do you live? Lol sounds like my neck if the woods here in southwest Ohio .we get all kinds if uninsured jack wagons around here lol

Yea it would probably be $500 or so to fix if done right. Yea insurance deductible is $250 if i remember right. But they will hold that small of a claim against you in the future cost of your insurance.

I feel bad when I hear something like "I've gone 30 years without an insurance claim!" Good for them for being safe but financially a bad idea. Add up what you paid for all those years and subtract what you got back. Definitely not in your favor. Better yet, think about what your money is doing when it's not coming back to you. Is it in the bank earning interest? Is it helping the homeless? Fighting the plague? No. It's helping keep top level execs comfortable while paying for someone else's claim. Do you really want to be paying someone else's benefits and getting nothing back? Would you feel better to learn that a certain amount of payout is calculated into every policy, and that never using the payout is like giving the insurance company "free" money?

I feel bad when I hear something like "I've gone 30 years without an insurance claim!" Good for them for being safe but financially a bad idea. Add up what you paid for all those years and subtract what you got back. Definitely not in your favor. Better yet, think about what your money is doing when it's not coming back to you. IS IT IN THE BANK EARNING INTEREST? Is it helping the homeless? Fighting the plague? No. It's helping keep top level execs comfortable while paying for someone else's claim. Do you really want to be paying someone else's benefits and getting nothing back? Would you feel better to learn that a certain amount of payout is calculated into every policy, and that never using the payout is like giving the insurance company "free" money?

What's this interest you speak of? Money in the bank will not even keep up with inflation anymore with the "Interest" you receive. Sad but true.

Earlier this year, we had a firebug going around and setting the highway road banks on fire. One such fire got out of control in a hurry and almost burn my house down. I had a lot of grade work done around my place, mostly fill. I have several plastic crain lines that ran down the embankment to carry water away from the slopes. Of course the fires melted the drain lines. The firefighters came in and drove thru my lawn and fell thru my septic tank. I was left with a potentially very serious erosion issue with the melted drain lines, All the vegetation was burn off to bare ground. One call to the insurance company and the next day they had an adjuster out at my property. They paid for all new drain lines and the hydroseeding for control erosion. The septic tank was replaced by the fire departments insurance company. My rates didnt go up, the adjuster wrote me a check right then and there, and it was more than enough to cover the damage, Plus the deductable. I had enough money left over to put a new roof on my shop. Now the reason I had money left over was because I did all the work myself and didnt have to hire anybody. I pay for insurance to take care of things like this, why shouldnt I use it when needed.

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 0326141556.jpg
    0326141556.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2014 03 26_0413.jpg
    2014 03 26_0413.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 19
I've always wondered how lawyers, doctors, politicians, insurance companies, car mechanics, and anybody else can be so brazen and rape the people that put money in their pockets, and now I know. We let them.

Earlier this year, we had a firebug going around and setting the highway road banks on fire. One such fire got out of control in a hurry and almost burn my house down. I had a lot of grade work done around my place, mostly fill. I have several plastic crain lines that ran down the embankment to carry water away from the slopes. Of course the fires melted the drain lines. The firefighters came in and drove thru my lawn and fell thru my septic tank. I was left with a potentially very serious erosion issue with the melted drain lines, All the vegetation was burn off to bare ground. One call to the insurance company and the next day they had an adjuster out at my property. They paid for all new drain lines and the hydroseeding for control erosion. The septic tank was replaced by the fire departments insurance company. My rates didnt go up, the adjuster wrote me a check right then and there, and it was more than enough to cover the damage, Plus the deductable. I had enough money left over to put a new roof on my shop. Now the reason I had money left over was because I did all the work myself and didnt have to hire anybody. I pay for insurance to take care of things like this, why shouldnt I use it when needed.

Here in Ohio, public service entities such as fire departments, police and such do NOT pay for damages they cause. Homeowners insurance has to pay. If they crash into you on the road, you pay for your damage.

Worst one I personally know of is a guy at work had a cop come to his house to take a witness statement on an accident his son was in. His son was the innocent side of it. Cop pulls up in front of his garage and takes the report. As he goes to leave, "says" his foot slipped of brake and went through his garage door. Homeowners insurance had to pay as they say police are not liable. When they came out again he told them to park on the road!

Back