legal question .... tree dropped on fence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this year, we had a firebug going around and setting the highway road banks on fire. One such fire got out of control in a hurry and almost burn my house down. I had a lot of grade work done around my place, mostly fill. I have several plastic crain lines that ran down the embankment to carry water away from the slopes. Of course the fires melted the drain lines. The firefighters came in and drove thru my lawn and fell thru my septic tank. I was left with a potentially very serious erosion issue with the melted drain lines, All the vegetation was burn off to bare ground. One call to the insurance company and the next day they had an adjuster out at my property. They paid for all new drain lines and the hydroseeding for control erosion. The septic tank was replaced by the fire departments insurance company. My rates didnt go up, the adjuster wrote me a check right then and there, and it was more than enough to cover the damage, Plus the deductable. I had enough money left over to put a new roof on my shop. Now the reason I had money left over was because I did all the work myself and didnt have to hire anybody. I pay for insurance to take care of things like this, why shouldnt I use it when needed.
Giving this a like only because they got you back to square 1.

Firebugs annoy me. We had one here a few years back that destroyed several historic buildings including a church and a Finnish square log cabin.

Yea it would probably be $500 or so to fix if done right. Yea insurance deductible is $250 if i remember right. But they will hold that small of a claim against you in the future cost of your insurance. Its the fact that i should not have happened at all, people just in a hurry and being lazy. I absolutely guarantee with their equipment and I am no pro arborrist by any mean I could have taken it without a problem.

I don't know who your insurance company is, but I speak from experience.
I have had the same insurance company for 20 years. At our old house we had a brand new roof put on. About 1/3 of it was a flat roof on a full dormer, contractor used some kind of rubber stuff, said it would last longer than roll roofing. Well of course, 6 months later a bad wind storm peeled up that section of roof to the tune of about $2000. Ins. co. rep. was out to inspect within 3 days, had the check the following week.
About 8 years later, mice chewed up the wiring in my wifes SUV to the tune of about $2500. or $2800. if I remember correctly. Dealer said it was close to starting a fire. Insurance co. sent a check (minus the deductible) to the dealer for repairs.
My HO & car ins. has been bundled together with that same co. My rates did not go up.
As I said, your ins.co. should pay, and they will get back their $ from your neighbors ins. co. That's why you pay them.

Here in Ohio, public service entities such as fire departments, police and such do NOT pay for damages they cause. Homeowners insurance has to pay. If they crash into you on the road, you pay for your damage.

The fire department was doing its job, saving my house, altho I do question the judgment of the driver for driving thru the yard in the first place. I would rather have to replace the septic system than have to rebuild the house. I wasnt at home during the fire, but the fire department got in touch and said they carried insurance just for this sort of thing and they would take care of it. They did, I didnt even have to make a phone call. Septic tank company even let me borrow their mini track hoe to bury some of the drain lines. I was mad about the fire, but have to give credit where credit is due. I came out better than I was before the fire.

Latest posts

Back