Lessons from "Fast-file Freddie"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Reaction score
Got bored while visiting the inlaws, and spent the $5 on eBay to get the 1959 Oregon booklet. I thought I'd share a couple of things I found useful. Maybe it's old news for everybody else, and probably available elsewhere, but it was news to me!

Seems obvious now, but I had never thought to "funnel" the bar groove at the chain entry (the diagram shows a square chisel file being used) to avoid having the chain contact the sides. Might even help that chain-tossing 141 of mine.

There's also a chart for minimum bar groove depths:

Pitch_____minimum depth
3/8 ---------> 7/32"
.404 --------> 21/64"
7/16 --------> 5/16"
1/2 ---------> 21/64"
9/16 --------> 11/32"
5/8 ---------> 3/8"
3/4 ---------> 7/16"

(I'd love to see a 3/4" setup in action)

Checking for spread rails: if you can lay a straightedge flat on the bar (perpendicular to the long axis of the bar, with one end on the bar) by pushing the chain over with the top of the straightedge, the rails are too splayed. If you have any clearance at all (chain prevents straightedge from laying flat), the rails still are good.

Top plate angle on square chain should increase from 20 degrees to 25 degrees as the cutter is filed back.

Past the halfway point on the cutter, you should drop a file size (1/4" -> 7/32" or 7/32" to 3/16") on narrow kerf chains.

One thing I see people joking about a lot is soaking chains in bar oil. Times and lubricants may have changed, but in 1959 the oil on a new chain was only for rust prevention, and Oregon recommended soaking a new chain overnight, working oil into the moving parts, and oiling the bar groove prior to the first run.

And remember: "Chisel chain requires expert filing!"

Almost forgot: In addition to keeping the sides of the drive links flat and smooth (which I do), Oregon recommended sharpening the drive link tangs to keep the bar groove clean (which I have never done).

On your above post about lubing the chain before installing it. A thing to keep in mind that ALL of the chainsaws back then only had manual oilers and the manufacture may be trying to make sure that the chain had enough oil...Just a thought...

Almost forgot: In addition to keeping the sides of the drive links flat and smooth (which I do), Oregon recommended sharpening the drive link tangs to keep the bar groove clean (which I have never done).

Some where I also read about sharpening the drive links to keep the groove clean. I also thought that was a bit exstream!

On your above post about lubing the chain before installing it. A thing to keep in mind that ALL of the chainsaws back then only had manual oilers and the manufacture may be trying to make sure that the chain had enough oil...Just a thought...

Some where I also read about sharpening the drive links to keep the groove clean. I also thought that was a bit exstream!

I'm guessing you're right about the manual oilers!

If you have ever thrown a chain you'll often times have to file the spurs off the tang to get it to move freely in the bar. I have done it a few times due to necessity, but I have never sharpened them for maintenance purposes like you describe.

Some pictures to go with the concepts...

First, sharpening of the drive-link tang:

attachment.php

Next, using the straightedge to check chain fit:

attachment.php

Third, how to "funnel" the motor end of the bar:

attachment.php

And lastly, one I had forgotten. How to modify the cutter if you do a lot of boring:

attachment.php

Thats a lot of good information I'll have to try sharpening the drivers as my bar seems to pick up a lot of trash while cutting. I also thought some of the modern saw bars came pre funneled.

From 1959 to the present one, they are a good read, but alas like owners manuals very few ever do read them.

I see so many spur and rim sprockets worn beyond belief, even to the point of failure. Always nice seeing a new drive tang getting hammered on a worn sprocket.

I scanned it at work today...be glad to send a copy on Monday or Tuesday if you PM me your e-mail address.

Latest posts

Back