Let ALICE carry it!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nikocker

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok - so it's winter and I'm bored. I've been thinking of a way to get all my saw gear back in the bush for making trails on my property. It's a PITA to hand carry all the stuff. Finally came up with an idea. . . . let ALICE carry it all!
For you guys that were in the ARMY like I was, you know ALICE - - great pack system. So starting with the basic ALICE frame and optional shelf, and using stuff I had laying around - I came up with this compact and light backpack to get my saw, brush axe, fuel and oil and a kit that will hold chains, bar wrench, extra plug etc. and other necessities back in the sticks.
Best part is I built it for under $50 and that included buying the frame.
I talked my son into wearing it for me.

Al:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

SilverBox

SilverBox

ArboristSite Guru
Right off I'd say you need a water bottle for the operater and a rag to wipe down your saw after you used it, cause that board won't look so good after you strap a saw with 2 tanks thru it onto it, lol.

litefoot

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
As a backpacker, when I read the title post, I was prepared to poo-poo your ALICE idea. I was going to say that I know good packs and ALICE is not one of them (I was in the Army, too). However, after seeing your pics, that is one clean professional-looking setup you have there. Good job! Oh and congrats on raising your son the right way...his ball cap isn't on backwards.:)

nikocker

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
You're right!

Right off I'd say you need a water bottle for the operater and a rag to wipe down your saw after you used it, cause that board won't look so good after you strap a saw with 2 tanks thru it onto it, lol.

Probably need a way to bungie my chaps on there rolled up too. Anyway I suppose I'll be messing with this for some time as there is always more that COULD be added. . . I just don't want it to get too heay.

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
nikocker

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks.

As a backpacker, when I read the title post, I was prepared to poo-poo your ALICE idea. I was going to say that I know good packs and ALICE is not one of them (I was in the Army, too). However, after seeing your pics, that is one clean professional-looking setup you have there. Good job! Oh and congrats on raising your son the right way...his ball cap isn't on backwards.:)

I probably should have said Great Pack for $25!! Sure, there are better packs but good Old ALICE fit the budget!

slowp
I looked at the alice packs on line, and they wanted a lot more for them. I think just the basic frame was eighty or ninety dollars. Did you find it locally? I've got one started out of a regular backpack frame but haven't quite figured it out. I need to get it figured by snowmelt or it'll be pack The Barbie Saw on the shoulder again, and that hurts after a while. :cry:

Yours is great. :clap:

nikocker

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got Mine in Ohio. Army surplus

I looked at the alice packs on line, and they wanted a lot more for them. I think just the basic frame was eighty or ninety dollars. Did you find it locally? I've got one started out of a regular backpack frame but haven't quite figured it out. I need to get it figured by snowmelt or it'll be pack The Barbie Saw on the shoulder again, and that hurts after a while. :cry:

Yours is great. :clap:

SLOWP - Google Gunny's Supply. Pack frame with straps was $20 and shelf was another $3-$4. Shelf just clips to frame - I added two pop rivets to hold it in place. The shelf carries the weight of the saw while the board carries the accessories.

Latest posts