Let`s say you are an 12 hours/day Lumberjack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
you go every day in the woods, cut only 16 inch oak, buck it, split it with the axe (or noodle) and load it into the truck.

what saw,bar and chain would you rather have ?
(brand, size, type, one or more choices etc.)

I might do this in the summer for 3 months.
Thanks

Husqvarna 3120 with 60" bar and .404" full chisel skip.

You can then cut down 4 trees at once :)

Nah I'd probably go something smaller like a 346XP with an 18" bar. I have a 5100-S Dolmar that will easily run an 18" bar and 3/8" full chisel buried in our hardwoods. Always relaxing when I pull out that little saw compared to the bigger ones :cheers:

I would use something around the 60-70cc range, enough power to chew through smaller wood fast, but still light. My personal choices would be a 036,
or a 372 with a 18" Windsor Speed tip bar, Stihl RMC Chain (semi chisel, no bumper link), 7 tooth sprocket. I like semi chisel chain because around here seems like every tree has barbed wire, bullets, nails, staples in them and it will trash a full chisel chain quickly.

By the way this a Lumberjack, what your talking about is logging, not lumberjacking. It's like the difference between doing Rodeo, and being a real Cowboy.
fan1.jpg

Last edited:
or a 372 with a 18" Windsor Speed tip bar, Stihl RMC Chain (semi chisel, no bumper link), 7 tooth sprocket. I like semi chisel chain because around here seems like every tree has barbed wire, bullets, nails, staples in them and it will trash a full chisel chain quickly.

Good choice but I'd go an 8 tooth sprocket on a saw like that with an 18" bar. Agreed on the semi chisel :)

12 hours/day Lumberjackin in summer oh man your gonna be knacker. Hey boss if you want me do that get me one of these please.

[video=youtube;dfqYCbcQcpY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfqYCbcQcpY[/video]

that or ma Motor schlagen 26 but dont expect me to be doin 6am till 6pm for ya sport 8 hours is a long day hanging off a saw 12 and ya stuffed.

12 hours/day Lumberjackin in summer oh man your gonna be knacker. Hey boss if you want me do that get me one of these please.

[video=youtube;dfqYCbcQcpY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfqYCbcQcpY[/video]

that or ma Motor schlagen 26 but dont expect me to be doin 6am till 6pm for ya sport 8 hours is a long day hanging off a saw 12 and ya stuffed.

Nice machine but for steep terrain, a track machine is the only way to go.

With the first tree where he was getting hung up, he should have opened the knives, run down the log and come back up to remove the limb. Not only is it quicker but easier on the head.

Oh yeah I used to do up to 14hrs a day sometimes on those!

If I was driving the forwarder for the day (10hrs), I'd jump in the harvester from 4 in the arvo till 11 that evening.

Last edited:
MS460 with 20'' bar would be my choice. It makes short order with this size of wood and loves to noodle.

I couldn't carry a 460 for 12 hours. I'd take a 034 super and a 20 inch bar, full skip.

MCW, that is probably a good choice, EXCEPT, the amount of bending over is alot less with a 20 than 18. Sounds minimal, but 12 hours is 12 hours.......

Just my lazy opinion. :)

MCW, that is probably a good choice, EXCEPT, the amount of bending over is alot less with a 20 than 18. Sounds minimal, but 12 hours is 12 hours.......

Just my lazy opinion. :)

You may be right but he might also be 4'6" tall :D

OK then, a 346XP or 5100-S with 20" bar.

Probably a better choice with trees that size than a 70cc saw with 24" bar though. Remember the OP is from Europe though, he'll make 28 fancy cuts to drop a 12" tree so swinging a larger saw around at the tree is where he may spend 10 out of his 12 hours :cheers:

I would use something around the 60-70cc range, enough power to chew through smaller wood fast, but still light. My personal choices would be a 036,

By the way this a Lumberjack, what your talking about is logging, not lumberjacking. It's like the difference between doing Rodeo, and being a real Cowboy.
fan1.jpg

not sure; i thought logging is when big logs are taken out;
what I`m talking is making bucks 30 cm long for firewood. and the bucks are split to fit in the stove;I think I`ve mentioned splitting them with the ax.

but you might be right though...my english is confuse.

You may be right but he might also be 4'6" tall :D

OK then, a 346XP or 5100-S with 20" bar.

Probably a better choice with trees that size than a 70cc saw with 24" bar though. Remember the OP is from Europe though, he'll make 28 fancy cuts to drop a 12" tree so swinging a larger saw around at the tree is where he may spend 10 out of his 12 hours :cheers:

Naughty, naughty.

:buttkick:

Latest posts

Back