let's design wood hauling trailer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaksmoke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, i'm looking for opinions on building a trailer to haul a full cord to 1.25 cords of the heaviest wood out there. let's figure stacked and blocked wood and loose tossed wood for trailer dimensions. I would like to keep it to a single axle w\brakes maybe 5200# to 7000# axle. Any ideas or experience would be most helpful. Also it would be nice to keep it short so we can turn it around in the toolies. I would like to be able to put as much wood (of any species) without overloading it. Does anyone build such a trailer?
Thanks for your help,
Mike

Last edited:
Does anyone build such a trailer?

Dixie Custom Trailers & Hitch (727) 544-7989
Pinellas Park,Fl
If ya got the cha-ching call these folk.

Baddest single axle dumps you seen.
1 axle with payload and and applicable second axle.Be sure to ask about backlog cuzz they are busy(good work always breeds more work)They also have some designs for side ramps wit dump beds from some lawn trailers

(unless yer buildin it yerself)

Then just buy a "nice single axle" and upgrade it.

JMO

l2edneck said:
Dixie Custom Trailers & Hitch (727) 544-7989
Pinellas Park,Fl
If ya got the cha-ching call these folk.

Baddest single axle dumps you seen.
1 axle with payload and and applicable second axle.Be sure to ask about backlog cuzz they are busy(good work always breeds more work)They also have some designs for side ramps wit dump beds from some lawn trailers

(unless yer buildin it yerself)

Then just buy a "nice single axle" and upgrade it.

JMO

And whatever you do, make sure it is a DUMP trailer.

Harry K

Just my .02....If you want to build a single axle with the capacity you stated, use a torsion axle. If you use leafs, it will be one bouncy mofo when empty. I built a single axle and put a 3500# axle under it, empty it weighs just over 900#, and bounces all over the place.

Build it heavy, dont skimp on the steel. I like to overbuild, but thats me.

What are you going to be towing it with? You may be better off just buying a used 1-ton with a dumping flatbed body, build some sides out of wood, or do the same mods to your existing truck and eliminate all of the inconveniences of a trailer in tight quarters.

let's build a wood hauler

Thanks for all the replies. I have no need for a 1ton truck as I cut only about 5cords a year. I will use the trailer to haul moss rock, flagstone, pipe, and other fairly heavy stuff during the year. I do like the idea of torsion axles as a fix for trailer hop. it would be nice to use eight bolt sixteen inch rims so i could use my truck tire as a spare though. more thoughts please, I have a 97 suburban with a 6.5 dsl and 3:73 gears that does ok for pullin' but the rig is kinda long when you put a 12 foot trailer on the back of it. really limits my turning radius. I also like the idea of a dump bed, but that adds alot of weight to the single axle total payload?
thanks,
mike

You would be surprised how fast you get used to a trailer and the places you can take them. If you can fit your your to vehicle in a place you can get the trailer there to. Get a dual axel with dual breaks. They pull much better and don't wonder as much. They weight will be less of an issue. Also with your suburbin being a long vehicle the shorter you go with the trailer the harder it is to back up. I can put my 16' trailer anywhere I want it, but put the stupid Jetski on the back and I'm lucky to back it onto a football field with my truck. Hook the jet ski up to the Wrangler and no problems.

Just my .02

Won't hold as much as you'd like, but I've been dreaming of a white Christmas.... no wait... that's not it. A 6x10 tandem axel trailer with brakes and 24-36" sides. Of course, my 4 cyl Chevy Tracker would spit it's engine and tranny all over the road if I tried to pull it with anything in it (1500lb tow capacity) I wanna V8 Dodge Dakota (7000lb tow capacity) but dem bastiges want me to give them money for one. The nerve. :biggrinbounce2:

Ian

you really need a tandem axles trailer with brakes on at least one axle. better on both axles.

it may pull just fine without brakes, but in an emergency stop. could get in serious trouble!

trying to stop 7,000+ lbs without brakes is a really bad idea.

find a local trailer dealer that stocks them is the best way to go.

I haul one cord at a time in an Anderson 12k dump trailer. The box is 12' x 6' 4" x 24" and has an empty weight of about 2700 pounds. I wish I had the split tailgate, but otherwise I'm very happy with it. I've delivered well over 100 cord with it.

Those anderson trailers are sweet... They must cost a small fortune. As wide as they are, an 8' 7k capacity would suit me just fine. the smallest one they offer is a 10'er. I'd be near dead cutting and hand-splitting enough to fill it. Bad out of shape I am.

Ian

Haywire Haywood said:
Those anderson trailers are sweet... They must cost a small fortune. As wide as they are, an 8' 7k capacity would suit me just fine. the smallest one they offer is a 10'er.

I bought mine on eBay. I kept searching for about six months, bid on a few, and finally lucked out. This one was a year old and sitting in SC. No one seemed to be bidding on it. So I waited till 30 seconds to go in the auction and put in a bid up to the max that I was willing to pay. Lucky me, I got it for $2900. I also got an email from some bozo that got real nasty when he did the same thing but didn't bid quite as high. :laugh:

I picked up a project trailer about 12 years ago that someone had started. It was a pickup truck slide in dump setup mounted on a homemade tandem axle car hauler. Over the years I perfected the setup for hauling wood. I shortened the bed so it was the same length as the dump unit (8'), moved the axles around, added side boards, and made a couple tailgates. With the side boards it fit a perfect cord of 16" split wood tossed in by hand or conveyor. The trailer was super light and towed well with 2wd 6.2 diesel with 3.73's. I sold the trailer 2 years ago after buying a larger trailer to haul two cord behind my duramax. I missed that trailer so much I just bought it back.

buddy made one with a longer "tounge" area and mounted his log splitter to the trailer and plumb off the hydro pump so he could split rounds in the field if need be rather than load big rounds or split by hand.

wood hauling trailer

oaksmoke said:
Hello, i'm looking for opinions on building a trailer to haul a full cord to 1.25 cords of the heaviest wood out there. let's figure stacked and blocked wood and loose tossed wood for trailer dimensions. I would like to keep it to a single axle w\brakes maybe 5200# to 7000# axle. Any ideas or experience would be most helpful. Also it would be nice to keep it short so we can turn it around in the toolies. I would like to be able to put as much wood (of any species) without overloading it. Does anyone build such a trailer?
Thanks for your help,
Mike

another great thing , i know that i would love to have is a dump trailer
:hmm3grin2orange:

wood hauling trailer

oaksmoke said:
Thanks for your help,
Mike

another great thing , i know that i would love to have is a dump trailer
:hmm3grin2orange: as for now i have just my 3/4 ton truck and a home made trailer that was a old 1/2 t truck bed , but that trailer has been loaded
:greenchainsaw:

I'd make sure you have brakes on all the axles and a good brake controller or you'll fry rotors quicker than you can put them on :bang: Even with my 6x12 enclosed trailer I use only to haul a line striper (asphalt maintenance) I wish I had gotten the brakes! I put new rotors on just about every spring. But I tow that trailer almost all summer. Personally, with my 5.9L gas engine and 3.73 gears I tow a tandem 6.5'x12' dump with 4' extensions up the sides for my firewood. Not sure of the exact amount it holds, but it's quite a bit and my truck has never had any problems towing it. I also agree with the longer trailers being easier to back up. Brand new it cost me $4900 and is worth it for me... just my .02

JC

So here is the trailer I had mentioned earlier. It is very light, nimble, tows well and isn't bad off road. Brakes are a must, as it holds a cut and split cord loose thrown.

Back