Let's Go Guys, Stihl 090, Should I Go Get It?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent score! I've got the same issue with my 090. I even replaced the clutch springs and the chain still spins unless I have it idle so slow it'll hardly run any longer.

Could this be a common thing with this particular model or do you know of someone who has the 090 and their chain stops at idle? I don't know anyone who has one otherwise.

I was a little surprised at how much the motor sounds like a dirt bike engine.

chain won't stop

When it settled back down to idle the chain kept on trucking. As the idle settled down a bit the chain slowed down, but not to a stand still. Not being a Stihl guy I didn't know what to make of that.

My ebay Stihl 075 did the exact same thing when I first checked it out. I bought new clutch springs and a bearing thinking that was the problem. When I tore it down, it turned out that the bearing hadn't been greased in so long that it was sticking. I cleaned and greased the original bearing and it was good to go.

To be honest, I am not a Stihl guy per say, but I know the 090 is the Holy Grail.....is it not? It looks like an older model, so I wsn't 100% sure it would be wirth the price. 99.9% sure though!!!
The 090's have the killer looks, but a well tuned 084 will drop the cookies faster.

The 090's have the killer looks, but a well tuned 084 will drop the cookies faster.

Maybe till the cookies start comin off of a 36" piece of oak or other hardwood.
A lot of people will never see the kind of wood where an 090 is the #1 big dog.

To get a better feel for what these ole boys have been actually selling for in the last month I checked some completed listings on Ebay. What does the "G" denote on a 090 G ? I found this one and it fetched one heck-of-a price, I'd let mine go in a heartbeat for that!

http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-090-G-cha...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f09e03be

The young man I got this one from thought it was about 23 years old which would make it a 1987, does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Maybe till the cookies start comin off of a 36" piece of oak or other hardwood.
A lot of people will never see the kind of wood where an 090 is the #1 big dog.
It's probably got to be alot bigger than 36" before an 090's displacement shows...at least from what I've seen.

attachment.php

It's probably got to be alot bigger than 36" before an 090's displacement shows...at least from what I've seen.

attachment.php

I own several healthy versions of both the 090 and the 084. I like the 084 very much, but in the larger hardwood the 084's have never run with the same authority as the 090's and this includes my buddy Tom's (a gold stihltech) almost new MS880. Maybe he'll chim in here, but this is what my experiance has been. Of course i'm talkin un-modded saws here. I have seen some hot modded 084's, but never seen a modded 090 so I could not speak to hot versions.

The 090's are certainly a prize, one should feel proud to own one. I like my 084 stock, when I first got it I put a new piston in it but thats it. The 090's that I've seen had bars less than 36" which is probably way too small for that saw.

It came with the 32" bar/chain, but I have a new one ready to bolt on. I plan to replace the rubber handle on the recoil as well as the rubber on the top handle if you can replace that by itself without changing out the whole handle?

someone said a while back--get the garbage off of the handle,clean handle real well--and go get some industrial heat shrink tube!!! ne said to be quick about it on the corners--as it might bunch--someone on this forum--

The 090's are certainly a prize, one should feel proud to own one. I like my 084 stock, when I first got it I put a new piston in it but thats it. The 090's that I've seen had bars less than 36" which is probably way too small for that saw.

jerry beranek--had one--tuned a bit--and had a special 84?? inch br made for it--said it never slowed down. he carried that monster 200 ft up, a 300 ft tree--to knock off the top 100 ft!!!!!! shorter bar tho----howd like to pick fight with him???!!!!!! hes on a certain pukes forum--but jerrys a heck of a guy--he wrote some good books--high climbers and tree fallers is one

Absolutely fantastic.
You did great Moss.
Sweeeet saw. I'm jealous as
i don't have one that style.
Like someone stated, Check the
bearing in the clutch drum first. :cheers:

Lee

To get a better feel for what these ole boys have been actually selling for in the last month I checked some completed listings on Ebay. What does the "G" denote on a 090 G ? I found this one and it fetched one heck-of-a price, I'd let mine go in a heartbeat for that!

The young man I got this one from thought it was about 23 years old which would make it a 1987, does that sound about right?

The 'G' denotes the 090 gear-drive, which is a special animal above and beyond the direct drive 090s and is usually worth more than double what a comparable 090 is worth.

That style of 090AV was made long before 1987, probably closer to 1977.

Could this be a common thing with this particular model or do you know of someone who has the 090 and their chain stops at idle? I don't know anyone who has one otherwise.

I was a little surprised at how much the motor sounds like a dirt bike engine.

Mine will idle through a whole tank of gas with the chain still once it's up to temperature; mind you it will idle so low you'd swear it's going to stall but it never does. Took a lot of very finicky fine-tuning to get it there though. I also had to swap the clutch spring out.

someone said a while back--get the garbage off of the handle,clean handle real well--and go get some industrial heat shrink tube!!! ne said to be quick about it on the corners--as it might bunch--someone on this forum--

You need compressed air. Get a long length of hose, tie one end into a compressed air line, shove the other end onto the handlebar, the compressed air expands the hose and "lubricates" it. It is still a job that requires strong hands....

I've just got an 090 - and it needs new handlebar hose. I'll do it next week and put some pics up.

On idling - my current 090 and all 3 of my 070s idle fine with a stationary chain. In nearly all of them the sprocket bearing was trashed when I got it (so draggy) and the clutch was weak. Fixing these gives a stationary chain.

Last edited:
The 090 is the largestone man saw around at 137cc and direct drive. The 00G is a 106cc saw with a 2 to 1 gear ratio. I have read here that STIHL used an 070 displacement and the gear reduction to make a saw that is an equal of the 090. What is possible is to change the jug to the 090 and you can have a 137cc gear reduction saw - a very real monster at that point.

These are from Chain Saw Collectors Corner site:http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...d8d083a8d741e3db88256c9b00780d89?OpenDocument

AN 090G:

Model: 090 G

MANUFACTURED BY:
STIHL ANDREAS MASCHINENFABRIK
STUTTGART, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:
YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
106ccm (6.47 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:
CYLINDER BORE:
58mm (2.32 in.)
PISTON STROKE:
40mm (1.6 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE:
Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD:
Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:

WEIGHT :
15kg with 63cm bar & chain
33 lbs. with 25 in. bar & chain
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:
One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:
Anti-vibration
CHAIN BRAKE:
none
CLUTCH:
Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:
Gear Reduction 2:1 ratio
CONSTRUCTION:
Die cast mangesium
MAGNETO TYPE:
Bosch
CARBURETOR:
Tillotson HL-244A series
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
RK-113HL
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
DG-5HL
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
Flocked wire screen element
STARTER TYPE:
Stihl automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:
Automatic with manual assist
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING:
3mm (0.12 in.) before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
0.4 mm (0.016 in.)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
Position if fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE:
Bosch WSR6F
SPARK PLUG GAP:
0.5mm (0.020 in.)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS:
needle roller
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:
1.2 litres
FUEL OIL RATIO:
25:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:
Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:
Stihl two-cycle chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH:
1/2 in. optional .404 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
Stihl
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:

SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
63cm (25 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
150cm (60 in.)

AN 090:

Model: 090 AV

MANUFACTURED BY:
STIHL ANDREAS MASCHINENFABRIK
STUTTGART, GERMANY
YEAR INTRODUCED:

YEAR DISCONTINUED:

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
137ccm (8.36 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:
CYLINDER BORE:
66mm (2.6 in.)
PISTON STROKE:
40mm (1.57mm)
CYLINDER TYPE:
INTAKE METHOD:
Piston ported

WEIGHT :
14.7kg with 53cm bar & chain
32.4 lbs. with 21 in. bar & chain
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:
One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:
Anti-vibration
CHAIN BRAKE:
none
CLUTCH:
Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:
Direct
CONSTRUCTION:
Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE:
Bosch electronic
CARBURETOR:
Tillotson HL-244A, HL-324A series
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
RK-113HL
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
DG-5HL
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
Nylon mesh cartridge
STARTER TYPE:
Stihl automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:
Automatic with manual assist
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING:
fixed
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
none
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:

SPARK PLUG TYPE:
Bosch WSR6F
SPARK PLUG GAP:
0.5mm (0.020 in.)
Needle roller
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:
2.29 pints
FUEL OIL RATIO:
40:1 with Stihl oil
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:
Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:
Stihl two-cycle chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH:
.404 in. optional 1/2 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
Stihl
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:

53cm (21 in.)
150cm (59 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME:
Stihl Grey enamel with Red top cover

Hal

The Solo Super REX is 142 cc's and the Skil 1690 is 139 cc's. I have never seen a Solo Super Rex except in pics, but Lee has seen one first hand. Lee and I both have running 1690's (Lee has two I think). The one I bought was the first one I had seen for sale in all my years collecting. The 090 is in the top three, but not quite the top dog. So I guess you could say that the 090 is the bbiggest one man saw most people are likely to see.

The Solo Super REX is 142 cc's and the Skil 1690 is 139 cc's. I have never seen a Solo Super Rex except in pics, but Lee has seen one first hand. Lee and I both have running 1690's (Lee has two I think). The one I bought was the first one I had seen for sale in all my years collecting. The 090 is in the top three, but not quite the top dog. So I guess you could say that the 090 is the bbiggest one man saw most people are likely to see.

I stand corrected:

Model: SUPER REX

MANUFACTURED BY:
SOLO KLEINMOTOREN GmbH
STUTTGART, GERMANY

YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
142cc (8.6 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:
CYLINDER BORE:
58mm (2.28 in.)
PISTON STROKE:
54mm (2.12 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE:
INTAKE METHOD:
Piston ported
WEIGHT :
11.7 kg with 53 cm bar 7 chain
26 lbs. with 21 in. bar 7 chain
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:
One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:
Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE:
none
CLUTCH:
centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:
Direct
CONSTRUCTION:
Die cast magnesium and injection molded plastic
MAGNETO TYPE:
Bosch
CARBURETOR:
Tillotson HL-154A
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:

MINOR REPAIR KIT:
DG-2HL, DG-5HL
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
Mesh screen
STARTER TYPE:
SOLO automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:
Manual
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING:
fixed
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
0.5 mm (0.020 in.)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE:
Champion J8J, Bosch W175
SPARK PLUG GAP:
0.63 mm (0.025 in.)
Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:
1.3 litres
FUEL OIL RATIO:
20:1 for break in, 24:1 thereafter
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:
Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:
Two-cycle mix oil
CHAIN PITCH:
.404 in. or 7/16 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
Oregon 52C or 62C
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:

43 cm (17 in.)
91 cm (36 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME:
SOLO Blue enamel

Model: 1690

MANUFACTURED BY:
SKIL CORPORATION
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, U.S.A.

YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
8.5 cu. in. (139 cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:
CYLINDER BORE:
2.6875 in. (68.2 mm)
PISTON STROKE:
1.50 in. (38 mm)
CYLINDER TYPE:
Aluminum with cast iron sleeve
INTAKE METHOD:
Piston ported

WEIGHT :
24 lbs. powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:
One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:
Anti vibration
CHAIN BRAKE:
none
CLUTCH:
Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:
Direct
CONSTRUCTION:
Sand cast mangesium
MAGNETO TYPE:
Conventional flywheel magneto
CARBURETOR:
Tillotson HL series
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:

MINOR REPAIR KIT:

AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
Flocked wire element
STARTER TYPE:
Fairbanks Morse automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:
Automatic with manual override
OPERATING RPM:

IGNITION TIMING:
Fixed
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
0.015 in. (0.38 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
Position is fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE:
Champion J6J
SPARK PLUG GAP:
0.025 in. (0.635 mm)
Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:
3 U.S. pints (1420 ml)
FUEL OIL RATIO:
16:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:
Regular grade 72 to 83
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:
SKIL Chain Saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH:
.404 in.
CHAIN TYPE:

BAR MOUNT PATTERN:

16 in. (40cm)
60 in. (152cm)
COLOUR SCHEME:
White with Black top cover
PAINT CODES:

ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:

SERVICE MANUAL:

Those are rare BIG saws! Sure would like to see pictures or a video of them.

Hal

Back