Lets here it for some splitting maul advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how is it you justify a maul needing replacement?

its a simple device really. only thing on it that can break is the handle and thats designed to be replaceable.

whats a maul besides a wedge shaped peice of metal on the end of a stick? and honestly ive found that the older they are the better. some of the newer castings are shaped differently. ive got two mauls that are older than i am (at 24 thats not saying much) but they work just fine.

i say rehandle the old girl and put her back in the line up.

I always used an 8 lb maul. Started using the 4.25lb Fiskars last year, rarely use the 8lb maul now.

how is it you justify a maul needing replacement?

its a simple device really. only thing on it that can break is the handle and thats designed to be replaceable.

whats a maul besides a wedge shaped peice of metal on the end of a stick? and honestly ive found that the older they are the better. some of the newer castings are shaped differently. ive got two mauls that are older than i am (at 24 thats not saying much) but they work just fine.

i say rehandle the old girl and put her back in the line up.

what he said

And whatever you do, don't buy a Chinese one. Poor steel and when you start hitting wedges they will chip.

OK just to qualify myself here. its a tru temper super splitter, and IMHO it only does a half A$$ job of splitting, therefore it needs replaced. So I just wanted to know what everyone else was using and why they liked it.

It's a hybrid axe/maul combo, I want a true maul to split larger and harder to split woods. Maybe its just me but I'm thinking that a hybrid/combo tool is made to do the job of several tools. I want a dedicated splitting maul, besides that it was given to me and it had been left outside for lord knows how long and it look all dry rotted in and around the opening.

OK just to qualify myself here. its a tru temper super splitter, and IMHO it only does a half A$$ job of splitting, therefore it needs replaced. So I just wanted to know what everyone else was using and why they liked it.

I have one of those and it works good for me , but I prefer my FISKARS

misc179.jpg

and it made short work of this
misc201.jpg

Was a confirmed Monster Maul guy from way back. Tried the Fiskars splitting axe. That is my favorite, thanks to the guys on this forum for pointing me in the right direction. Was never very good with the old 8 lb. maul. Maybe you don't have to be with the other tools I mentioned. Anyway, I am using the Fiskars on almost everything. Then I might do 2-3 swings with the Monster---then the hydraulic comes out--unless I get tired sooner. No matter what you use it really helps to "read" the wood which only comes with practice.

+1 Fiskars all the way! It's almost cheating!

Most people find the short handle can be compensated (as long as your aim is fair) by putting the round your splitting on top of another round. I had always done this even before the Fiskars purchase, so it was not that big of a deal for me.

+2 on the fiskers. I have 2 of them. One for me and one for the kids to swing. I bring mine with for felling trees. Nice and light and works good for driving the plastic wedges. I wouldn't use it for driving steel tho. Sounds like the ones that have are the only ones that have broken it. It also works good for knocking off small branches.

Is it just me, or is the fiskars surpassing the 361 as the most recommended tool on this site?

I guess, Ill just have to break down and buy one.:cheers:

fiskars

if you dont have a fiskars you may as well leave this site I think it is a requirment. but the best splitting axe for the money.

Helko Tomahawk is worth looking at.

I have used many of the traditional mauls. Then I discovered the Fiskars 2-3/4 lb. splitting axe which was a wonderful improvement, and worked superbly for the size and type of wood I was splitting (red maple and cherry, generally less than 12 in. dia.), during the winter, nice and frozen. I agree the handle is too short. Full attention at all times is required. One swing-by would be costly.

However, my most recent purchase was a Helko Tomahawk 2300G (5 lb.) splitting axe. It was $61 and free shipping if order is over $75, from www.hartvilletool.com . Handle is around 31 in. It surpasses any manual splitting tool I have ever used. Very well engineered. Made in Germany. Just check to make sure the cap screws holding the head remain tight. The Helko Vario series has hickory handles. Catalog says they are 36 inches long. I prefer the synthetic.

With temps in NH in the teens this weekend, splitting wood was a joy. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back