Lets see your 272 muffler mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctd01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been doin some searches on muffler mod ideas for my 272. It seems I might have to cut the top cover to fit another port or make a front exit. What do you guys think? Pics would be great.

I used 5/8 x .050 wall ss tubing inserted at 45 degrees each way about an inch down from the top and protruding out 1/2". I also cut one longer by an inch and plated off the original exit. Polish the pipes and paint the rest muffler black and enjoy. It really breathes nice and is relatively quiet due to the uneven pipe length. If you would like to see it run search youtube for H410 272.
NOTE: This mod is a fantastic bark burner so be careful!!

Here's mine, I made my own deflector.

HPIM3918.jpg

HPIM3921.jpg

HPIM3920.jpg

HPIM3919.jpg

That is so cool, you've got a spark screen!!! Two screws and you can clean the screen. A spark screen is a must for my saws.

Two questions:
  1. How did you make the deflector?
  2. Where did you get the screen?

Thanks for the post.

Here's mine, I made my own deflector.

HPIM3918.jpg

Muffler Screen

Found a source for screen: Stainless 304 Wire Screen

But someone suggested a kitchen strainer, I just happen to have one I've not used in years. :)

Here's what my muffler looks like, I think I just cut out the front, above the bolt holes and add the screen and not bother with a deflector. Comments?

attachment.php

The deflector is fabricated out of some scrap sheet metal I had laying around. It's bent, mig welded and ground smooth. The screen, believe it or not, is from a stainless frying pan splatter screen that I bought at the hardware store for a couple bucks. It was about 14 inches in diameter and probably enough material to make at least 10 nor 15 spark screens.

I also plug welded these threaded slugs into the muffler to attach the deflector so I could use regular threaded screws instead of self-tappers.
HPIM3912.jpg

All I did with mine is cut off the three teeth on the muff side of the deflector and straighten out the wide one on the outside.

Bump... Would like to see more pics

Headed to the camp tomorrow for 9 days of wood cutting/hauling. Anyhow I will be without the net/cell and am planning to mod the 272 and a MS270 while on the trip (assuming we should get at least one rain day). Anyhow stumbled upon this thread while searching and thought I would bump it for ideas prior to leaving.

I'll have a generator to power the dremel, but no access to welding equipment.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back