Let's see your splitting toys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Split a few BIG red oak rounds with the Gransfors Bruks maul. Counted the pieces of firewood that came out of one of them: about 95. Of course I split into fairly small pieces. From the pictures, it took 8 minutes to do the one I photoed.

I split the rounds right on the ground, so I haven't had to "handle"any of it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20150809_124856110_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150809_124856110_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
Ryan did I read correctly 95 splits out of that one round?! Exactly what is the diameter on that piece? I couldn't swing a maul, Axe or anything of the like 9 times without my back hurting let alone 95. I wish I could that's some killer cycle time... Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ryan did I read correctly 95 splits out of that one round?! Exactly what is the diameter on that piece? I couldn't swing a maul, Axe or anything of the like 9 times without my back hurting let alone 95. I wish I could that's some killer cycle time... Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, about 95. It's about 34" diameter. Again, I split everything really small. We have 2 small woodstoves which like small splits, and anything we aren't going to use there will get used for cooking maple syrup. The faster you can burn wood, the faster you can cook syrup, hence small splits. I split 3 of those rounds this afternoon and then took a break.

The Gransfors Bruks makes it much easier to accomplish. It's much easier to swing a 5.5# weight on a 32" handle than an 8# weight on a 36" handle. The extra sharpness, superior design, and the ability to strike the block with greater accuracy (because it's a lighter more precise tool) means the same amount of wood gets split with less work.

Latest posts

Back