Let's talk 1133 Stihls, MS 280/270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go .325 20" myself.that set up was crowding my 270 even with a muffler mod.your only gaining 5cc with the 280.

I would go .325 20" myself.that set up was crowding my 270 even with a muffler mod.your only gaining 5cc with the 280.
Sounds like good advice as most of my small saws (026's) are set up with .325 and I have spare sprockets. I don't need a 20" very often, so may drop to 18". Thanks

These saws have 3 very large weaknesses I've worked on several and seen many...

1.) AV is so soft it tears the intake boots b/c the chassis streches so much
Treemonkey makes plastic AV plugs that replace the cable AV system. This stiffens the chassis so you wont tear a boot.

2.) screws backing out behind the flywheel.
This can cause shredding of the backing plate and people to think they are "locked up" simple solution is some blue loc-tite.

3.) ignitions fail on them. $60 OEM or good luck finding one used.

My overall opinion is that they are better than the 290-390-310 series but have to many manufactures defects to last long in production. IE: the reason they already ended the run. The ms270 is too week for the weight and the ms280 is better being 50cc. It's an OK middle weight contender but if I were buying new I'd get a Rancher 455. Same weight, more power, less problems. If you already own one the plugs are $25-$30 from treemonkey and loc-tite is only a couple bucks. I'd buy a Dolmar 520/540 or Stihl 026/260 before these but then we're talking a pro class vs rancher/homeowner. Good saw for the weekend warrior that is capable of some DIY fixes but not a good full time firewood cutter.

...Rancher 455. Same weight, more power, less problems. If you already own one the plugs are $25-$30 from treemonkey and loc-tite is only a couple bucks. I'd buy a Dolmar 520/540 or Stihl 026/260 before these but then we're talking a pro class vs rancher/homeowner. Good saw for the weekend warrior that is capable of some DIY fixes but not a good full time firewood cutter.

270/280's are close to a pound lighter than 455's.

Yes, I would chose any of the other's, but they are pro construction saws and you are comparing oranges to tangerines.

They are capable saws. Personally, I've never seen a 270/280 with a torn boot. I have seen plenty of other saws with ripped intakes (doesn't make it any better or worse, but sometimes a saw gets a certain reputation while another saw with the same problem and frequency doesn't get pegged the same way.)

A family member has one and has replaced the carb boot 5 times due to the soft AV mounts. This last one I did and used treemonkey's AV remedy. So far no problems. He brought it in under warranty and his dealer said that it was his fault, that he was pinching the bar and applying too much force and wouldn't cover it. $175 later his dealer had him back in business. He got the busiiness all right!

These saws have 3 very large weaknesses I've worked on several and seen many...

1.) AV is so soft it tears the intake boots b/c the chassis streches so much
Treemonkey makes plastic AV plugs that replace the cable AV system. This stiffens the chassis so you wont tear a boot.

2.) screws backing out behind the flywheel.
This can cause shredding of the backing plate and people to think they are "locked up" simple solution is some blue loc-tite.

3.) ignitions fail on them. $60 OEM or good luck finding one used.

My overall opinion is that they are better than the 290-390-310 series but have to many manufactures defects to last long in production. IE: the reason they already ended the run. The ms270 is too week for the weight and the ms280 is better being 50cc. It's an OK middle weight contender but if I were buying new I'd get a Rancher 455. Same weight, more power, less problems. If you already own one the plugs are $25-$30 from treemonkey and loc-tite is only a couple bucks. I'd buy a Dolmar 520/540 or Stihl 026/260 before these but then we're talking a pro class vs rancher/homeowner. Good saw for the weekend warrior that is capable of some DIY fixes but not a good full time firewood cutter.
AHHHH...$75 dealer took me for a ride on the ignition coil I guess. Luckily (knock on wood) I haven't experienced the torn intake boot...yet I guess... I had thought about selling mine and getting the 460 rancher but I don't feel like buying just to buy. I had talked on here about possibly buying a good 'ol 290 before they totally disappeared but I have since washed that idea down the drain. Maybe just save a little more and buy a Husky XP saw and hide it from the wife...

I had talked on here about possibly buying a good 'ol 290 before they totally disappeared but I have since washed that idea down the drain...
The last two things on Earth will be cockroaches and 290's...not a lot of difference.

Just buy a 261 and run it a couple of times and the wifey won't know the difference.

AHHHH...$75 dealer took me for a ride on the ignition coil I guess. Luckily (knock on wood) I haven't experienced the torn intake boot...yet I guess... I had thought about selling mine and getting the 460 rancher but I don't feel like buying just to buy. I had talked on here about possibly buying a good 'ol 290 before they totally disappeared but I have since washed that idea down the drain. Maybe just save a little more and buy a Husky XP saw and hide it from the wife...

So the reason the 280/270 is so nice to cut with is the suspension is so soft it soaks up all the vibration ?

So the reason the 280/270 is so nice to cut with is the suspension is so soft it soaks up all the vibration ?
Yes the cable suspension is soft and smooth but is the same reason the intake boots tear.

Back