letting trees leaf dry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The old timers around here say to let the tree sit on the ground with the branches and leaves still on it. they say that the leaves will draw the juices out of the tree drying it quicker. Is this true or just an old wise tail.

If I know I'm going to cut it I will cut before leaves are there (winter) and let it sit until I'm ready to get at it, makes for much easier work. But makes sense.

The old timers around here say to let the tree sit on the ground with the branches and leaves still on it. they say that the leaves will draw the juices out of the tree drying it quicker. Is this true or just an old wise tail.

Its a true old wives' tale. My neighbor's dad used to cut them down in the spring after leaf-out, then cut them up in the fall. Results are not totally seasoned (<20% moisture), but better than otherwise. I seem to remember that a large maple tree could aspirate (evaporate) 2500 gallons of water a day, but my memory is suspect.:dizzy:

It would be interesting to know if, after 3 years of drying, the harvest time is still reflected in the moisture content even on very small scales. For example, I 've heard of people that cut according to the phases of the moon as well as the seasons. Will this result in moisture variations (even slight ones)?
In this part of the Northeast cut wood/lumber takes on a moisture content of around 11% after it has been acclimated to the climate.
Does this apply to firewood regardless of when it was taken down? I would say probabaly given enough time.
Are there slight variations in moisture content in the long-term based on harvest time? I'm not sure.

Bill

Last edited:
I've been tolded hey dry faster if you fell it and leave it.. makes sense,, majority of the moisture goes up to the smaller limbs in the tree to promote growth.. if they retain most of the water after they fall then it should work

I bet a felled tree seasons faster if it is cut up than it does left laying with it's leaves on until fall.

Very true. Then leaves are only connected through those tiny tubes to the sap wood. They don't draw moisture from the heartwood which is by far the majority of the wood in the tree if it is of any size.

Any gain from leaving it lay is so minor as to be of no consequence.

Just another of those things 'everyone knows' that a bit of thought shows to be at least partially wrong.

Harry K

They'll definately dry out faster that way, but why not cut then down before they pump all the sap up in spring? Cut them in winter, and they'll be drier already, and you don't have to mess around waiting forever.

Very true. Then leaves are only connected through those tiny tubes to the sap wood. They don't draw moisture from the heartwood which is by far the majority of the wood in the tree if it is of any size.

Any gain from leaving it lay is so minor as to be of no consequence.

Just another of those things 'everyone knows' that a bit of thought shows to be at least partially wrong.

Harry K

This makes sense to me. When I've leaf dried, it's been because I know I won't need or be able to process the tree until the following year. In which case limbing at the time of felling is just time I could be spending doing something else -firewood related or not. In the meantime, I'll let the tree suck itself to a level of dryness greater than might have otherwise been te case.

I bet a felled tree seasons faster if it is cut up than it does left laying with it's leaves on until fall.

+1 That's my take on it also. Felled, bucked and split is going to dry faster than anything left long. Branches, leaves or not.
I know about the fell it and leave it theory because allot of the old timers still do it around here and maybe left with branches/leaves will dry faster than felled and limbed? But not as fast as bucked and split. It's all about the moisture wicking out of the fibers and evaporating into air. It only makes sense that the more open surfaces you have, the faster the moisture will escape.

well they are going to get a little leaf drying. I cut them down mamorial weekend but I won't get a chance to cut them up untill next Sunday.

well they are going to get a little leaf drying. I cut them down mamorial weekend but I won't get a chance to cut them up untill next Sunday.

Which is just about all the time the leaves will aid in drying. As soon as they die (2-3 days) any minor effect they have ends.

Leaving aside the effect of deterioration on a log left lay for months, that 'theory' is an old wives tale that should have been buried back in the 1800s.

Harry K

It's all about the moisture wicking out of the fibers and evaporating into air. It only makes sense that the more open surfaces you have, the faster the moisture will escape.

Huzzah to that. Especially where it's been sooooooooooo dry here in NH. Steveip, I know right where Milton is - 2 towns from me - and it's been mighty arid, as you know. It's going to be tough on those who need hay for livestock.

But pertaining to firewood: I've got some split maple left stacked in a sunny place since March that I'd have no qualms about burning no if I had to - split real small and in a sunny location. I've even re-split some of my red oak to see how moist it is at center and even I was surprised to see none of the dark, dark wet red moisture in there.:jawdrop:

I understand it to be true - but only for how long the leaves are alive. Once they wilt, their work is done. So a week-ten days might help with the leaves on but after that it is time to cut.

Latest posts

Back