Lewis Tree quality company?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiredp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I currently live in Western Mass and am laid off from the tree company I was working for. I now work a low paying and crappy fill in job, but I see that Lewis Tree is hiring up near the NH border above Boston. I have seen a lot of their trucks lately as they have been out here for the storm clean up and it has put it in my head. What kind of reputation do they have and is it worth my time to apply? I am not married, but do live with a serious girlfriend of almost 5 years so I don't want to move away from her for a company that is going to treat me like :spam: I have some experience as a groundman, but not a whole lot. I would like to work for a company that will teach me all the skills I need to be a great groundman, but will allow me to grow beyond if I show that I am capable. If anyone can provide guidance, I would appreciate it.

Pete

If I were you I would take the job.From what I know It's a basic line trimmer operation with occasional large tree removal strictly municipality around here.Even though the ice storm caused devastation around here these guys have full time work year round.Guys I spoke with would like more pay and hours but who doesn't?I do not think you will learn much more than ehap and line clearance but you might pay rent this winter.Not sure if any offices are around you but I seems like most guys travel a bit.I hate to say it but if you are serious about a career in arboriculture most of the big guys are the way to go for the first few years.You might want to check out Bartlett in Worcester maybe Auburn I forgot.Anyway I know thay are bringing in out of state guys for clean up so thay might be hiring local as well.

lewis tree is excelant i no the owner tom trees

Really?....... well #1 its an employee owned company, as far as how they are to work for, Not Bad...just dont get hurt they will really screw ya then!

I know most of the big shots as they use to work out of the same local as me, a bunch of lazy get out of work types who would hide behind the union when they got busted!

now they`re GF`s & regional managers that scream production! so be warned!

LXT.............

Status Report

Well, I applied tonight so we will see what comes of that. I have been applying for any kind of tree work in either my area or the Boston area. My girlfriend says that she doesn't want to quit her job until this fall, but I know I could talk her into moving to Boston because she has always wanted to live there. I wish this was a better time of year for a job search, but at the moment I am doing overnights at Wal-mart for 9.20 an hour:cry: It is only a temporary position although I have no doubt it will flourish into full time after the first of the year. I don't mind it other than the pay, but would rather be learning more about tree work which is why I am always on here. Thanks for all your comments as I do like to get a feeling about a company before I apply, especially one that large. I also sent my resume to D&B tree in Quincy and C&C Maltby tree in Stoughton. I have applied for a few other things, but I will keep my eyes out.

Pete

Well, I applied tonight so we will see what comes of that. I have been applying for any kind of tree work in either my area or the Boston area. My girlfriend says that she doesn't want to quit her job until this fall, but I know I could talk her into moving to Boston because she has always wanted to live there. I wish this was a better time of year for a job search, but at the moment I am doing overnights at Wal-mart for 9.20 an hour:cry: It is only a temporary position although I have no doubt it will flourish into full time after the first of the year. I don't mind it other than the pay, but would rather be learning more about tree work which is why I am always on here. Thanks for all your comments as I do like to get a feeling about a company before I apply, especially one that large. I also sent my resume to D&B tree in Quincy and C&C Maltby tree in Stoughton. I have applied for a few other things, but I will keep my eyes out.

Pete
I would try to stay away from line trimming companies if you want to learn more about treework. Maltby, now there is a company you should try for, I think I've seen them featured in TCIA a while back.
But if Lewis is gonna hire you try that first sinse it is winter - at least its treework. Its nothing personal against line trimming, its just that you could work there for years and still not learn squat. Residential is the way to go, as long as its a decent company, it doesnt have to be huge and have a crane and all that - just a skilled progressive climber thats safety orientated and will give you a chance to learn. This is what you want.
The losers I hire at least have the oppertunity to learn alot every single day, they just have mostly been losers so far is all. You can work at lewis for years and still never learn something as simple as how to tie a portawrap onto the base of a tree - my losers learn this stuff right off. Do you see what I'm saying?
Anyways, good luck man!

take the job!!

if you dont like it than dont work there

Groundman needed in the Boston area anywhere??

I honestly don't know Spanish although I did learn it for a few years in high school. I had the same experience with Portuguese. I learn them and can't retain anything. I am not really a language person.

I found on another site a member that discouraged someone moving to Massachusetts from working for the D&B company listed above, but they did not say way. I did apply, but am now wondering what the problem is with that company so again I ask if anyone has heard anything. I do appreciate all the suggestions and comments. I will continue my search for a tree company that needs a good groundman in the Boston area.

Work on your CDL

The possibility to get hired will more than double if you show them you are working on a CDL even if it is the written part to get your permit. Commercieal Drivers License, Class B.

Thank you for that suggestion. I have been researching it and will probably give that a try. I still need to look into cost, but the Mass rmv website seems to have all the information I will need to pass the tests. Which endorsements would I need for treework? I know air brakes, but is that all??? That would actually be great because I could get the written portion done during the winter when I have daytimes free.

I believe they are a pretty big company although I do not believe they are nationwide. They were started in New York and have expanded from there. I do not know where their territory ends although you have piqued my interest to find out.

Im in Cleveland Ohio and have been seeing Lewis trucks around lately. Is it the same company? If so they must be pretty big.:)

yes lewis has 4500 employs is all over i am waiting for a forms man job in st pete fla my sons take over my tree service here on L I tom trees:clap:

I am glad to see it is getting passed down. You guys and gals seem to be breeding the next generation of arborists.

Latest posts

Back