leyland cypress or thuja (green giant)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifnbrian

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok im looking to plant one or the other i live in south central pa so could someone tell me the good and bad for both or recommendations. im looking to plant about 300 around the property. thanks

Leyland is deer resistant and they grow extremely fast.
I'm in the process of screening my propery borders, planting 6ft apart. They can make a solid hedge if have time to trim.

Leyland is deer resistant and they grow extremely fast.
I'm in the process of screening my propery borders, planting 6ft apart. They can make a solid hedge if have time to trim.

yes thats what im planning on doing and from what i read the other is about the same so would one be better than the other for my area? or they about the same? i know the green giant grows up to 3feet a year and both are about the same price. how about snow and ice? one hold up better than the other? thanks

Leyland grows thicker. If you plant them close enough, your hedge can tolerate a dead tree without any visible gaps.
Where as if you have a dead GT, you will definitely see a dead tree or a gap.
Leyland are very tough but they don't like wet feet. Same as the GT.
I see alot of people from my area would let their Leyland screen grow out and top off to a desire height.

To be sure if they can survive the extreme weather from your area, I suggest to drive around town and check out how your neighbor's trees. That would be a sure bet.

Latest posts

Back