Liability for damage when grinding stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marine1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a solid practice of informing the customer of the possibility of damage (septic tank lines, irrigation, thrown debris, water lines etc) when grinding stumps? I genrally have a verbal conversation regarding possible damage before I grind but I would like to know if there is a better way to covey the message before starting..........Marine1

Use screens, call 1-800-locate, have the customer mark the septic tank
and put every warning in writing, or it never existed

Draw up a waiver and have the customer sign it, and give them a copy.

Good Luck ! :cheers:

Steve-Maine

We allways wrote we are not responsible for any lawn damage or damage to any underground utilities not marked by Dig Safe. Of coarse we were liable for any personnell injury or property damage which was covered by our insurance. Make sure your policy states stump grinding. Good luck

I've been thinking of getting 3 or 4 4'x4' sheets of plywood and hinging them all together using hinges that have easy to pop hinge pins. If you hinge them on alternating sides, they should fold up and be pretty easy for one or two people to carry. I can also use them for window protection, etc in addition to grinding. Preventing damage is more important than who is responsible. Stuff can easily fly and hit a window or car.

As was stated above, if not it writing, it doesn't matter, it never happened.

Last edited:
Back