light and functional saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OTG BOSTON

OTG BOSTON

Addicted to ArboristSite

Well you make a very good point there OTG. Everyone has had alot of good stuff to say about the dragonfly/butterfly,glide and the versatile. But that dam treeflex is calling me.

I went to TCIA with the intention of buying the flex. Tried the flex, motion, and sequoia. I decided to wait because my dragonfly is less than a year old and with the way saddle innovations are going, anything you buy today will be old news by next week.

flying frog

flying frog

ArboristSite Lurker
Tree Flex critique

Bought a Tree Flex saddle for X-mas. As far as I know I'm the first owner cause I haven't seen anyone else claiming to have used one. But, this is my first week of use and so is my critique. I'm Graduating from a Master Classic and that was my first saddle, so that's what I'm compairing it to.

So Far, positives are the light weight and hip support, plenty of accessable gear loops. Very easy to get on and off, and belt adjustment can be easily made. I'm really enjoying the floating ring and the lower center of gravity tie-in has made a world of differance in ease of climbing and manuevering.

Negatives are leg loops have totally mystified me, I have a 32 in waist and bought the small saddle.
The elastic rear straps I've had to detatch competely to keep the straps from riding up my leg. Also the leg pads are stitched unevenly and tend to dig into the hamstrings rather than support my thighs. I need to contact TF and see what's up with that.
Since my waist is so small the adjustment strap tend to dangle out in the way. So I need to find a way to stow them. Side Dees are not secure and are spinning and the flat side ends up out.
I've briefly experienced the tension on the waist straps loosening up with the weight of the saw on my side but I think this goes back to having the excess strap stowed properly.

Personally, I'm not to comfortable with the shackles holdiing the suspension bridge as the ring slides over them completely, and in my mind could loosen the pins or get hung up.
Since my old saddle had snaps on the side for chainsaw attatchment and this doesn't I'm still working on an alternative attatchment.

Like I said I've got to call the Makers and go over my problems and see what their answer is. but that's all for now. Hope it helps

beowulf343

beowulf343

Addicted to ArboristSite
You look at any of newtribe's saddles? Had a progear that i used for a couple months that was extremely comfortable. The only reason i don't use it much anymore is because i actually like a heavier saddle. Not uncommon for me to have 40+ pounds of gear hanging off the saddle and the progear just didn't seem to like carrying a big saw.

countryboypa31

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
You were the one being unreasonable, not Sherrill .
I've dealt with both them and Wespur hundreds of times, I wouldn't expect ether of them , or any company for that matter
to accept a return on a item that wasn't in perfect condition or defective.

Grow up man, Would you want someone to buy something from you, use it for 2 weeks and bring it back just because they didn't like it ?
What would you tell them if they wanted a 100 % refund after you told them up front the item had to be in new condition ? And it wasn't.

How do they expect you to get a correct feel for a saddle without using it? You think hanging a rope from a rafter and swinging on gets you an appropriate idea of how the saddle will wear in a work enviroment? You don't buy a car without test driving it do you? How are supposed to buy a saddle with out doing the same? So some saw dust gets on it, it didn't get marked up, didn't pull any stitching out. If they (sherrill) are going to tell you "go ahead give it a shot if you don't like it send it back" what they heck do they think your going to go do with it? Try it on and look in the mirror say, "hey don't that looks swell" NO you need to work in a saddle to understand how it responds in different situations.

You think someone try's a saddle doesn't like it they go somewhere else with their business? No the supplier still makes a sale on whatever saddle the buyer desides on then. Costumer service is appriciated and people come back with their business when they find excellent costumer service.

Yeah if i was in the arborist supply business and you needed to try something to see how you like it, i would have "test" equipment set aside for exactly that purpose. You are looking to sell the saddle, you do what it takes to make the costumer happy. If someone asks to try a saddle uses it says they don't like it, take it back refund the money set the saddle aside in case anyone else wants to try it, let them know if they like the saddle send back the "test" and they will recieve a brand new one upon recieving the return. Then when a new model comes out sell the "test" saddle at a discounted price, they mark the saddles up so they really won't lose any money just break even on that one saddle, and in the process potentially sell more because guy's actually got to USE the saddle and found they really liked it!

Goes to show how little you know about satisfying a costumer.

countryboypa31

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
Have you tried either of these above mentioned?

I would really like to try a treeflex...I think the more i look at the tree motion i tend to think it may not work for me.

I have tryed the treeMotion on, feels good but as i said i just tryed it on. Couldn't tell you anything about how it responds in a work enviroment. If you like using SRT system i would suggest the treeFlex or sequoia srt friendly model. I heard the TM is kinda hard to set up for SRT. Once again didn't try any so this is all second hand info, i'm looking at buying a TM right now though off of a friend. If i get it i'll let you know how it is.

reachtreeservi

reachtreeservi

Addicted to ArboristSite
How do they expect you to get a correct feel for a saddle without using it? You think hanging a rope from a rafter and swinging on gets you an appropriate idea of how the saddle will wear in a work enviroment? You don't buy a car without test driving it do you? How are supposed to buy a saddle with out doing the same? So some saw dust gets on it, it didn't get marked up, didn't pull any stitching out. If they (sherrill) are going to tell you "go ahead give it a shot if you don't like it send it back" what they heck do they think your going to go do with it? Try it on and look in the mirror say, "hey don't that looks swell" NO you need to work in a saddle to understand how it responds in different situations.

You think someone try's a saddle doesn't like it they go somewhere else with their business? No the supplier still makes a sale on whatever saddle the buyer desides on then. Costumer service is appriciated and people come back with their business when they find excellent costumer service.

Yeah if i was in the arborist supply business and you needed to try something to see how you like it, i would have "test" equipment set aside for exactly that purpose. You are looking to sell the saddle, you do what it takes to make the costumer happy. If someone asks to try a saddle uses it says they don't like it, take it back refund the money set the saddle aside in case anyone else wants to try it, let them know if they like the saddle send back the "test" and they will recieve a brand new one upon recieving the return. Then when a new model comes out sell the "test" saddle at a discounted price, they mark the saddles up so they really won't lose any money just break even on that one saddle, and in the process potentially sell more because guy's actually got to USE the saddle and found they really liked it!

Goes to show how little you know about satisfying a costumer.

Like you said you are not in the Arborist Supply Business. If you were, you would know some customers can't be satisfied. Because their demands are unreasonable. Sounds like you are one of those customers. Expecting everyone in the Arborist World to pay for your misinformed equipment purchasing decisions and then whining about it doesn't change the facts. If you think Sherrill didn't treat you fairly, do them a favor and don't trade with them anymore. I'm sure that will put a hurting on them.... LOL

countryboypa31

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
Haha, your right one individual means very little to their business outcome. Your right also i'm not in the arbor supply business, and so maybe there is more behind it then what i'm seeing. I just don't like when you talk to two different individuals and get two different answers. Either way, i still think sherrill is a good company, they didn't become as sucessful as they are with out doing things right. I have seen what representatives have posted on other threads and like what they've had to say.

I'm not saying they are a bad company i was simply informing others to my experience with trying to "test" saddles and return them. It was not inteded to be a slam on sherrill or anything like that. Simply informative towards trying to buy and return saddles.

I still think they should think of putting a saddle aside for each models for people to "try-out." Honestly i think it would be greatly appreciated by those looking to purchase. I also know it would be a lot more difficult then i'm making it sound. So maybe it isn't reasonable.

But back to the real topic, not wanting to highjack. I would highly recomend trying to find indivduals within a reasonable distance as you and either ask if you could give it a shot sometime, or set up a climb with them (rec climb maybe a pruning, whatever) That way you can try each others gear, view each climbing style, ext. who knows maybe you have something they really wanted to try. I think you can learn a lot by trading stories and climbing with others! Hope that puts us back on line

Last edited:
countryboypa31

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
Call Sherrill, and ask them to ship you a few and then send back the ones you dont like. Its tough when there are no retail shops close by.

This is the quote i'm refering to. I would not advise doing this, instead try what i said at the bottom of my last post, hope this clears things up

lync

ArboristSite Operative
bosun seat

I worked for years in a master II, and got my jewels crushed, the butterfly was better, but for comfort and flexibility(sliding d fixxed, 2 point with split tail )get the versitile!! You won't regret it. Tell you what buy it in x-large size and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you as a spare!!
Corey

countryboypa31

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
I learned on a versatile, they are great saddles, but in terms of light they are def not. But a good buy if weight isn't your main focus, ohhh and they normally have the seat, i prefer leg straps. Thats another thing you want to address

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
b2 for me. its both light and functional. ive been through 2 versatile bucks and i agree it is a good saddle, but im all for leg straps because i mostly do removals. if i was doing more pruning and cables or getting paid by the hour id want a seat. its rare if im on my azz in a tree butt if i need a seat ill just cut one:). i did buy the dragonfly seat to try on my b2 and after 2 trees i gave it away!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts