Lilac Tree How big does it get??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Oak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Lilac tree that is about 4 foot tall and would like to move it, my question is How tall does it get and how wide does it span out?

I live in Northwest Ohio zone 5 and my soil is clay and is alkaline 7.7 ph.I also would like to know if it will look right with a Oak, Maple, Crabapple and a Washington Hawthorn trees?

Regular lilac or tree lilac? Common lilac will go to plus or minus 15' and can be pruned to whatever height you wish. Tree lilac (Syrina reticulata) will go to 35' and will actually trunk out at plus or minus 6". Common lilacs have suckering roots and will (with time) make a clump up to 10' wide.

Once again I must watch where I plant this tree for I have electric power-lines that they keep clear of trees and they stop at no means of cutting half the tree out. :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

This means that I must keep it at less the spread of the tree away from them if you want your tree to look beautiful like it should.

You gave the height but not the spread of the tree?

Once again I must watch where I plant this tree for I have electric power-lines that they keep clear of trees and they stop at no means of cutting half the tree out. :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

This means that I must keep it at less the spread of the tree away from them if you want your tree to look beautiful like it should.

You gave the height but not the spread of the tree?

I have a moture one that is around 15 feet tall, 10 feet wide and probably 10 feet front to back at the widest point. I hate it most of the year because I have to cut the grass around it and the limbs are low and everywhere. Makes a good barrier from the neighbor though, at least 3 seasons of the year.

Not to hi-jack, but I think this goes along with your topic anyway. Is there anything for fertilizer that would work good on lilacs? I ripped out all the hedges and rodos that were at the front of my house (Literally ripped, with my truck and a tow strap then decided to re-plant and they lived) and I transplanted some lilacs there. The lilac is doing ok, but the front of my house is shaded.
Also, if you do have a recommended fertilizer are there any plants that should be avoided in the area with the particular fertilizer?

Not to hi-jack, but I think this goes along with your topic anyway. Is there anything for fertilizer that would work good on lilacs? I ripped out all the hedges and rodos that were at the front of my house (Literally ripped, with my truck and a tow strap then decided to re-plant and they lived) and I transplanted some lilacs there. The lilac is doing ok, but the front of my house is shaded.
Also, if you do have a recommended fertilizer are there any plants that should be avoided in the area with the particular fertilizer?

I just use the tree spikes from Lowes. Haven't seen much change but they are all healthy.

I have a moture one that is around 15 feet tall, 10 feet wide and probably 10 feet front to back at the widest point. I hate it most of the year because I have to cut the grass around it and the limbs are low and everywhere. Makes a good barrier from the neighbor though, at least 3 seasons of the year.

how about just killing the grass out to the dripline and mulching so you don't have to mow under there.

the proper care for rejuvenating a perennial shrub is to cut out 1/3 of the oldest set of leaders each year all the way to the base.

how about just killing the grass out to the dripline and mulching so you don't have to mow under there.

the proper care for rejuvenating a perennial shrub is to cut out 1/3 of the oldest set of leaders each year all the way to the base.

Busted. I did that this fall. Made a big much bed with a border and planted a chokecherry and a couple ever greens.

Latest posts

Back