lilacs and ?????willows

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rguseman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have several lilacs that are overgrown which has cut down on the blooms. In order to shape the shrub am I better off cutting them down to the ground or simply cutting out the bigger branches over time and then reshaping them. Similar question with the ?????willows. Personally, I would cut the ?????willows down and grind out the stump but my wife is kind of partial to them.

Oops never considered that there might be a problem with the term p***y willow. Sorry!:hmm3grin2orange:

Lilac Blooms

Lilacs need to be "dead headed". This entails removing the blossom ends soon after the bloom is over, otherwise the plant puts all its energy into forming the seed clusters. remove the spent blooms and you will see an increase in flowers each year. Don't cut them to the ground or you will get nothing but suckers, (tall spindly shoots) growing up from the root stock. Lilacs are hard to kill so I suggest also selectively removing some of the older wood to get the shape you want.This will encourage new growth and more flowering for next year. A shot of all purpose shrub fertilizer aruond the roots and drip line couldn't hurt.

Back