limb walking......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
seems like i've been up in alot of spread out live oaks
lately. any tricks of the trade would be grately appreciated!!!!
my a$$ is getting sore:D
thanks boys,
budroe:cool:

Doin' the 'shiney heiney'? Seems like we all do too much of that. First of all, buy more jeans now. That way when your work pants wear out you can downgrade good jeans to work jeans. :p

But seriously, it's something that comes with time, experience and practice. A good tie-in is essential. Too low and you can't go out very far. Using your lifeline as a 'third leg' to give you stability is a key. Finding footing is important also. Someone (Froggy I think) mentioned using loop straps as an extra foothold on those long leads without limbs. Many guys use a pole saw to reach the tips better.

I did 2 live oaks yesterday and two more today. Exhausting climbing, but some of the most rewarding trimming I can do. I try to plan the entire tree before starting. Finding my tie-ins (usually more than one on live oaks), figuring out where to start and how I will progress around the tree. Try to envision each section as a separate tree, work it completely, then move to the next one. They can be very challenging and difficult. I spent 4½ hours in a 50' tall tree today with 3 tie-ins plus a couple redirects.

Sounds like you are doing great, Spencer. Can't wait to get down there again and see you in action. :D

Spencer, I would have to second what Brian says about having MTIP. I myself am waiting to get a second life line so that I can double crotch with less hassles. With 1 TIP you can go wherever you want almost, but you have less stability. With 2 or 3 TIP's you will become centered and have less mobility, but more stability.

One of my trix is to run an extra line to about/at your destination and have a stabilizing belay from the ground, as long as i have proper lifeline /lanyard system(s) active i may even use a rigging line for this, especially if i am going to use it in work when i get to the destinations(s).

Once arriving and working a zone i may put in a temporary redirect sling; and or take the static end of my splittail lifeline system and put it through a good crotch. i may even walk back with that in place shuffling the line, with out having to adjust it! Then, pull it out by pulling on my line above the friction hitch letting the styatic end fall back to me as it clears that 2nd crotch, 1 trick that worx in 'wide' trees nicely!

I never ever use a pole saw to pull myself out to a tip on a flat limbwalk;)

VT has made it much eaier to walk out and back, or make a good swing transfer.

Lcimbing over and downclimbing or rapping on a redirect may be better then walking the limb.

Using the NewTribe grappel to set seconday TIP works from time to time.

ensuring the line runs straight to the TIP before starting the walk:rolleyes:. Cannot over emphisise the importance of high TIP. the flatter the angle of the rope, the less stability.

Small feet like Kenny's so that the limbs are like sidewalks.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
I never ever use a pole saw to pull myself out to a tip on a flat limbwalk;)

Where did you get that? Neither would I, and I would never recommend it as a safe method. I simply meant that some tip trimming/deadwooding can be done from 12'-15' away without climbing out to the tip by using a pole saw.

I was insinuating that no one has seen me using a polesaw as a climbing aide becuase I only do it when no one is looking. I concider it one of those discresionary moves that I do if there is no other safe method, and the hook will stay.

i might use a polesaw to 'cheat' as JP reflects, but not with any real pressure on it (like i could muster any!), as i consider that would be adding power to the deadly blade, also too chicken to trust that head from coming off. i might use it as light balancing off some limb compounding the stability of my lifeline. i am picturing a 'wider' than tall tree for these examples, whereby high TIP is not available, and as you go out, the lifeline support angle approaches flat, like a certain 7' gi-ants head.

Another help i have found is a TIP from spread crothces so that instead of both legs of the lifeline being pairallel coming to me, they form a triangle as they come to me, for more side to side support/buffering. Sometimes, not having the TIP on the same axis as the walk can be achieved, then i can walk side ways with my weight leaning back perpendicular to travel, the lifeline acting as a stop, saying that i can't go over but so far, using the forces of the restriction of the line and the pull of gravity pitted against each other to keep me locked in place.

If the walk is fairly a clean limb, i run my lanyard under the limb as a 2nd safety; but also have it sized where if i tighten up my lil'knees, the lanyard is so tight that it is stabilizing me, then i walk with bent knees; only tightening them to stabilize at critical points. i have also sometimes used a choked sling as a sliding handle, and have tried to concieve of one with a wire inside that would self open the choke when not loaded to slide more easily in between stabilizing activity!

After the diameter of the limb gets less than 1" my feats hang over on either side as my shoes are now wider than the limb, so that the sidewalk effect is less effective, effectively for that effect that JP refers to. i showed it to him when we went two diffrent schools yogether, in diffrent states. For those extremes i willingly violate OSHA, Labor and SPCA precepts as i ride on the back of my pet ferret, which also saves energy for the work, though not for the ferret, hence the conflicts with danged govern-mental boyz.

First liar (t)ain't gotta chance 'round these partz! Ya shoulda lernt dat bye now!:D

-KC

Back