Limbing above shoulder height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been very fortunate that the incidents I've been involved with have not ended up in loss of life or limb (pun intended). As such, I refuse to operate a chainsaw at or above shoulder height. To me, it's not worth the risk.

JQ
Sure that call is up to the guy making the cut. I think however in some cases it can minimize risks like in the photo del posted fast cutting that branch near the phase. I have done that for many many years it is actually the safest way short of roping everything because in a fast cut the limb is cut off and drops like a spear into the ground instead of hinging toward the line. Yes he could have climbed out a bit but I understand why he made the call to reach cut and I'm certain he knows how to do it safe to where the arc of the dropping saw will not intersect his body and he lets off the trigger asap.

On 2 to 3" live limbs I have a trick that works to decrease the chance of the limb whacking you upside the helmet. I cut it just enough for the limb to slowly droop down parallel to the trunk. Then I cut the limb at a lower point and let this portion fall away. Then finish off the original cut and let the stub portion fall away.

On 2 to 3" live limbs I have a trick that works to decrease the chance of the limb whacking you upside the helmet. I cut it just enough for the limb to slowly droop down parallel to the trunk. Then I cut the limb at a lower point and let this portion fall away. Then finish off the original cut and let the stub portion fall away.
Lol that trick is used more than a 5 dollah hooker but gum ,willow or low modulus of rupture woods don't work :p

So...
Are ladders out of the question?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
First hand experience. Cut a 4-5 “ limb from a latter. Had the ladder to the side of the tree. Undercut and then did the top cut. Limb came down, and the cut end hit the ladder and I dropped to the ground. Luckily it was a small saw and I was only 5 feet up.

Damn......you guys are making me a bit nervous now about limbing above my head. Been using my HT-131 and never a problem or issue.

I do have an old Bell M-2 full-coverage m/c helmet that just sits in a box on a shelf in my storage shed. Think I just might get that thing out and put it on the next time I do some overhead limbing. :yes:

First hand experience. Cut a 4-5 “ limb from a latter. Had the ladder to the side of the tree. Undercut and then did the top cut. Limb came down, and the cut end hit the ladder and I dropped to the ground. Luckily it was a small saw and I was only 5 feet up.
The ladder should be secured to the tree and you should be tied in to the tree as well.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Such ''rules'' are usually promulgated by those who have no real experience and are highlighting their underlying lack of ability.
I understand that is it currently accepted to project your incompetence on others by insisting on silly ass rules.
Using common sense ''rules'' means knowing your own limitations, don't hobble yourself based on someone else's faulty reasoning.

Great discussion but I'm confused on one point. To maximize reach should I jump from both feet or just one to get the branches that are 9' up?

I was taught not to limb above shoulder height.
As I was taught, the rule is not to have your hands and the powerhead above shoulder height - you just don't have the strength or control that you do with your hands lower. The limbs can be higher, but you do have to factor in how they will fall when cut.

Use a pole saw for higher work.

Check out this YouTube video to keep you off of ladders:

Philbert

As I was taught, the rule is not to have your hands and the powerhead above shoulder height - you just don't have the strength or control that you do with your hands lower. The limbs can be higher, but you do have to factor in how they will fall when cut.

Use a pole saw for higher work.

Check out this YouTube video to keep you off of ladders:

Philbert
Incorrect, keep the bar below shoulder height. It's the running chain that will do the damage.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

The rule is based on the least common denominator. I know I can handle saws a certain way and I know I’m being safe. A little voice creeps up on me if I push that limit and I always listen. Each of us has differing experience levels and that’s what I base what I will do on. I cut above my head all the time because doing so may allow me to be positioned in way to give me the best chance to handle shock or avoid a bad rope angle. Apart from one handing in front of yourself, I’ve chosen to refrain from commenting on how people use saws in a tree. On the ground it only matters to me that chaps are on and both hands on the saw and one and a half bar lengths away from others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i always think of my buddy that stopped by to drink a beer. he had a big gauze bandage wrapped around what was left of his jeans. he was cutting a few small limbs off a couple of apple trees. a branch kicked back and pushed the saw into his thigh. watched my neighbor cutting up a walnut tree this evening. had my phone on speed dial for 911. he was cutting limbs shoulder high with a ms390. :crazy2:
I try not to watch my neighbors cut wood after being told off for stopping the young son from making a cut useing the tip of the bar. I don' want to see the outcome when Darwin comes calling.

Back