Little Milling Saw Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up this gnarly 281 here on the forum. Looks like it's lived a hard life, but still makes good compression and starts and runs well. This is going to be mostly dedicated to milling and maybe bucking big logs that outclass my 630. This isn't going to be a huge in depth project.

The picture pretty well shows the condition the day I got it. Needs a bath like nothing else! Starter cord was broken and the reel was pretty rough, so I threw in the guts from a 625 starter I have. Still feels like something is catching/dragging, so I need to pull the whole thing apart and clean it really well. There's mismatched fasteners all over, so I'll be replacing those as I go.

It came with two metal chain brakes, and I'll try to build one out of both. It looks like I'm missing both the springs and probably need a band, as this one has some kinks in it.

Need to pull apart the tank handle and see what's jamming up and keeping the saw from going full throttle. I'll have to find some studs for the air cleaner elbow. The saw is set up for the light duty filter and I'll be ditching the hi rise cover. I think I'll also ditch the full wrap and bucking sprike/extra spring. As is, the saw is very bulky, I'd like to slim it down and basically convert it to a 288xp lite.

Still debating on whether I want to move to a 288 p&c. Seems to make good compression as is, so my gut's telling to not to mess with it for a few cc's.

If anyone has any parts, please let me know!
IMG_20180722_100102.jpg IMG_20180722_095916.jpg

Good luck on the brake band, nla im quite sure for the metal handle brakes. Pretty typical issue on the throttle is the little roller on the throttle shaft and the throttle trigger itself get worn and just doesnt have enough throw to get to full throttle. I put a piece of 3/8” (i think..) automotive fuel line over the throttle arm itself and that solved it for me. Ill buy that 281 top end and wrap handle if you decide to part with them :cool:

I would have a nice top handle in trade toward the full wrap, cant help ya w the low top cover, but personally, for milling apps, id stick with the hd filter.

Maybe I can straighten out the band I have a little bit. I think the springs are still available.

I'll try that on the throttle shaft.

Although I have the hi top cover, this saw is set up for the regular filter. I have an extra jonseJon filter, so I just need to find some studs for the filter mount to start cutting. The high top cover is pretty beat up and not worth keeping (imo), without the help filter.

Might take you up on that half handle. This full wrap has a weld in it, not sure if that's stock or a repair or if you care.

Got a replacement half wrap in the mail and fitted it up. Does this look right to y'all? Looks really tight to the starter and there's a lot of space on the clutch side. This thing get racked over?

Took a shot next to my 630 to kind of compare.
IMG_20180810_163513.jpg

Latest posts

Back