Little wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
New use for an old unwanted golf cart. Old owner said "you can have it for nothing just get it out of my garage". Not running until I cleaned 3-year-old fuel out of the tank, lines and carb, now it runs great. Fabbed up a hitch and I was in business.
Only a 20 mph top speed, but the low gearing gives you great pulling power. Pulled that little trailer stacked full of hardwood like it wasn't even there. I don't doubt it will pull a 4x8 trailer full of wood on level ground with no problem. Pretty rough ride compared to a new quad, but the turning circle is way tighter, and it has a very comfortable seating position in its favor.
$20 invested in it so far but it's getting treated to a new drive belt and probably some aggressive rear tires in the future.IMG_20210911_154251.jpgIMG_20210911_154314.jpg

It's great when you can repurpose something unwanted into something that can help you get the job done, and for free :) or close to it..

Most golf carts have heavy duty replacement rear springs available if you decide to put a back deck on the cart to haul some wood, and eliminate the trailer.

Surprisingly low fuel consumption for a 2 stroke, only about 2/3 of an imperial gallon per hour at full throttle 95 percent of the time. Nets about 30 mpg if you have the patience to drive on a level road for a good stretch.
Really great manouvering in tight areas with it. Traction on wet grass is the main limiting factor right now, probably going to be a lot worse in a bit of snow. Found some tires to get for it, surprisingly a lot of parts out there to customize a cart.
Might wind up doing double duty during deer season.
6000198056403.jpg

That's a steal, around here a non running golf cart in cosmetically good shape fetches at least $500.00. Not amazingly powerful, but those little engines ran forever with a bit of attention.

I have those R1 ag tires on some of my lawn tractors. 8" wheel on one mower, and a set of 12" on another. If run them pretty low, 6-8 psi I think. If not, they will give you kidney failure with the chatter on hard ground. But they look awesome.

My suggestion would be a atv mx style tire. Good grip, and smoother ride. I probably shoud have gone that route.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 5
Runtothehills, that's good to know about the tire chatter. The knobby tires look like a good option. May go the chain route for winter, I know they are a huge help on my snowblower.
It's very well mannered on hills so far, good climbing and decent behavior. My friend who drives a rig was impressed that it stays "geared down" with out the need for brakes if you start your decent at low speed. The brakes also perform well with the ability to lock up the tires.
Going to have to look into modding the rear cargo area to hold wood cutting equipment more securely though.

I bet it has 1,000lb load capacity being it is designed to haul two fat guys and their clubs around a golf course 18hrs a day 7 days a week. The real question is can the cylinder be ported :rock2:. The down hill threat will become apparent with it loaded with weight or if a kid gets into it and corners too quickly. Those are great carts that lasted 20+ years in a everyday hard use environment before needing replacement, often even longer. They really do stop and turn better with 100+lbs on the azz end.

Some people have all the luck . I have been on the hunt for some thing like that or a quad for some time now. Plenty of electric carts around but I don't want that . My neighbor has one one similar to yours with the gas engine . That thing is so quiet you would never believe it had a gas engine it. Good luck with your new toy.

Latest posts

Back