Loaded Tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porta mill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a johndeere 6x4 gator it helps move fire wood to the owb. to be honest in the snow it is almost worthless unless there is a load of wood in the dump box. with a load of wood in the box i cannot steer it . I was thinking of loading the front tires to weight the front down a bit . was wondering if anyone has done this to there gator tires thank you

I have never tried it on a gator, but it couldnt hurt much as long as you dont go at super high speeds(wheel bearings might not take that much abuse). I would use beet pulp and not calcium chloride as not to rust the rims in the event of a tube failure

I would be worried that the steering linkage wont not be able to take the added strain.

I know a guy with one of those 6 wheel gators and he ended up taking 2 wheels off so it would steer. He also uses it on a golf course so it might have been tearing up the turf as well.

I have a johndeere 6x4 gator it helps move fire wood to the owb. to be honest in the snow it is almost worthless unless there is a load of wood in the dump box. with a load of wood in the box i cannot steer it . I was thinking of loading the front tires to weight the front down a bit . was wondering if anyone has done this to there gator tires thank you

Porta,

Loading the front tires wont help your steering much as they are unspung weight. You would be better served by adding weight to the front of the Gator frame to load the front suspension. Adding unsprung weight will increase wear to your suspension and steering gear, and isn't a good idea generally.

I have seen some pretty ingenious gizmos mounted on the front of Gators, so a frame for a briefcase weight, or Box to fill with Lead wouldn't be too hard to fab up.

Best of luck to ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Chains may be the answer.

If you try chains on the front tires strap 'em tight and always keep extra monkey links and bungee straps with you. You'll hear 'em when they bust or get lose, fix them right away and your front CV boots will be happier. With chains tighter is better.

Chains may be the answer.

If you try chains on the front tires strap 'em tight and always keep extra monkey links and bungee straps with you. You'll hear 'em when they bust or get lose, fix them right away and your front CV boots will be happier. With chains tighter is better.
+1 on the bungee cords I use the thick black rubber ones on my truck. To the OP maybe build a heavy duty winch bumper for the front of the Gator it will give you weight and a winch.

John Deere offers a "front receiver hitch", if you bought or better yet (IMHO)built one of those, it would be easy to attach all kinds of stuff,including a weight box. Just a thought.

Back