Loaning dem tools out, specially the splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I have a dilema, and wondering what all you guys think or do in this situation. I have a neighbor that is kinda lazy(okay, really lazy) who has no apparent means of support. But, on the bright side he is a great borrower. He has never asked to borrow any of mine, but I see a constant flow of fishing boats, lawn tractors, etc flowing into his yard. He mentions from time to time that he borrowed it/them for the day, etc.
For whatever reason, he scurried up enough gumption to install a woodstove, and has been mentioning the fact that he sure could make a lot more firewood if he had a splitter. (casting an eye at mine all the while) I know it is just a matter of time before he asks to borrow mine.
Now, what is your policy about borrowing tools? I hesitate to loan mine out even to friends because it seems that everytime they come back tore up. I borrowed a friends woodsplitter until I bought mine, but I feel that was only fair after I have rebuilt his entire fleet of weedeaters, tractors, chainsaws, etc. But the thought of my tools going out the door, well, I hate the thought!
What do you say when they ask?

If he's as lazy as he sounds how much wood could he possibly cut? Offer to split it for him.

1. i rarely loan them out because i rarely get them back. (my kids are notorious for that.)

2. IF...IF..i loan anything out, my general rule is: if you break it, you fix it.

3. i try not to loan anything out because i forget who has it!

ya.. I loaned out a full size Case backhoe once to a good friend... flat forgot about it. a few years later I try to get it back. he had loaded backhoe to a friend of his.

anyways.. he did a few repairs on backhoe and thought it now belonged to him :cry:

lost a good friend over this... if you do loan a large piece of equipment DON'T forget about it.... good friends are much harder to come by than a backhoe...

3. i try not to loan anything out because i forget who has it!

I guess when I think about it, two issues really bother me.
One, I have a personal attachment to my tools. Almost like my toothbrush:)
Two, I doubt he would have the cash to fix it if something major went wrong. Sure, a pump can go bad no matter who is operating it, but here comes the argument.....
"It would have broke even if YOU were running it. Why should I have to pay to have it fixed?"

depends..

For me it depends on the person, it doesn't sound like this is the kind of guy you want to loan stuff out to. When I borrow something from someone it comes back as good or better than I got it. My neighbor lets me borrow stuff, he usually makes the offer, and I always make sure of this. He let me borrow a tile saw, i put a new blade on it, let me borrow his lawn vac, i put a new canvas bag on it.....etc. And I know when I let this guy borrow something it's the same way.

If I loan anything out that has a replacement value of more than $300 there is typically some sort of coladderal involved to gaurantee its return home.

I know the dilema

We really want to "help" out when possible. Problems develop when stuff gets tore up, or missing, or isn't returned.

I have loaned my splitter, rarely.
I almost never loan my saw.
Forget even asking about the truck...:censored:

Once in awhile people are genuine. Things will get taken care of, and returned in better condition. Sometimes things are not.

I do not know your exact situation, and you will have to make the final decision. One time I had to re-po my splitter. That will not happen again.

-Pat

Work out a deal with him offer to help him split his firewood if he helps you . Just make sure you have a years supply for him to help you split and if hes as lazy as you says he is he probably wont want to borrow it again.

I am not big on lending unless I trust the person to care for the item and to fix it properly if it breaks. I can't name one of those types of people off the top of my head so I guess my answer would be no.

Sure, I like being a nice guy and helping people out, but too many times they get to thinking that you have to help them out again and again or that if something breaks then it ain't their fault.

I have a dilema, and wondering what all you guys think or do in this situation. I have a neighbor that is kinda lazy(okay, really lazy) who has no apparent means of support. But, on the bright side he is a great borrower. He has never asked to borrow any of mine, but I see a constant flow of fishing boats, lawn tractors, etc flowing into his yard. He mentions from time to time that he borrowed it/them for the day, etc.
For whatever reason, he scurried up enough gumption to install a woodstove, and has been mentioning the fact that he sure could make a lot more firewood if he had a splitter. (casting an eye at mine all the while) I know it is just a matter of time before he asks to borrow mine.
Now, what is your policy about borrowing tools? I hesitate to loan mine out even to friends because it seems that everytime they come back tore up. I borrowed a friends woodsplitter until I bought mine, but I feel that was only fair after I have rebuilt his entire fleet of weedeaters, tractors, chainsaws, etc. But the thought of my tools going out the door, well, I hate the thought!
When he comes to borrow your splitter loan him your splitting mull, tell him when he learns to use it you will loan him your splitter he wont ask you again LOL

JUST SAY NO!
He most likely won't check the oil or the Hydraulic fluid. He may not understand the trouble a tiny bit of water in an old gas-can can do. He may pinch a finger off and sue you!

And you're probably already paying his rent!

I try not to loan anything with a motor and/or a blade. Every time it has been a problem. I' rather go and do it for him. There is probably a reason that he can't seem to get his own equipment. It is kinda like loaning a lady out. He could leave a lady as a deposit!!!

You can quote me if you wish:
"Technically it isn't really my splitter. My friend Bob built it and now he no longer burns wood so he asked to 'store' it at my place. Said I could use it as my own but not to loan it out. I blew the motor up so I bought and installed a new one but it really isn't my splitter"

Works every time :)

There are three things in life you under no circumstances do you loan out. #1 your chainsaw, #2 log splitter, #3old lady. now the old lady is negotiable. Ouch I got caught writting this. OOh Ah the pain. No really #### him tell him to buy his own ####

It would seem that you dislike the idea of loaning the splitter in the first place otherwise you would not have posted the question. If there is any question as to whether or not to loan something, then really there is no question.

NO

I once loaned my favorite splitting maul to one of my best friends after I had a few..I couldn't find it for a couple years and it drove me nuts, nothing split like that maul did..

well, guess what.. I found it in his garage one day while I was visiting..he swore up and down I had "given it" to him. I know that was BS because I would NEVER have "given" that maul to anyone. And the kicker was, he wasn't even burning wood anymore, I asked that seeing as he didn't burn wood anymore if I could "have" MY maul back and he said......

ready for this...??.....

NO.

yup, no.

I also loaned an impact gun to my brother in law, who is no longer my brother in law because of divorce and now I am divorced from my impact gun.
So yeah, the answer to anyone that asks to borrow anything at all is..

NO.

I do not owe anyone an explanation, it is my stuff and they have the nerve to ask, I have the nerve to say, NO. It is YOUR equipment, and you have every right to say no when asked.

Call me hard, call me what you want, answer is still no.

It would seem that you dislike the idea of loaning the splitter in the first place otherwise you would not have posted the question. If there is any question as to whether or not to loan something, then really there is no question.
Ya so whats your point? its a free country, if he wants to ask a question let him ask it with out giving him a bunch of sheet

Ya so whats your point? its a free country, if he wants to ask a question let him ask it with out giving him a bunch of sheet

It's a free country, and if that's the answer that he wants to give then what of it? :D

Besides, all he was really saying was that he got the impression that the OP didn't really want to lend out his splitter so he should just say no.

That's my point! :D

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back