Loaning dem tools out, specially the splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a free country, and if that's the answer that he wants to give then what of it? :D

Besides, all he was really saying was that he got the impression that the OP didn't really want to lend out his splitter so he should just say no.

That's my point! :D

:cheers:
mind your own business *******, that question was not directed at you

mind your own business *******, that question was not directed at you

LOL .... relax hanko, this is just an internet forum. :D

After all, his response wasn't directed at you either and that didn't stop you from putting your two cents in there. What rule says that I can't do the same? .... none. :D

I guess when I think about it, two issues really bother me.
One, I have a personal attachment to my tools. Almost like my toothbrush:)
Two, I doubt he would have the cash to fix it if something major went wrong. Sure, a pump can go bad no matter who is operating it, but here comes the argument.....
"It would have broke even if YOU were running it. Why should I have to pay to have it fixed?"

see...that's the catcher. i've been asked about my splitter and i told them the same thing and got the same answer back. my reply was simply that's what you agree to if you borrow it.

now, is borrowing a splitter worth the $300 for a new pump or a $500 engine or a $300 cylinder? in fact, it's written on the tank of my spitter:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/mga_01/?action=view&current=DSCF0210.jpg

Last edited:
LOL .... relax hanko, this is just an internet forum. :D

After all, his response wasn't directed at you either and that didn't stop you from putting your two cents in there. What rule says that I can't do the same? .... none. :D
ya your right. sometimes people ask questions that dont make sense or you think are dumb. I have done the same im sure in my life. Ive allways been the the guy who stood up for the smaller person or the weaker, and I got pissed when the fellow that started the thread was sorta ridiculed. I guess I should just keep my mouth shut, and mind my own business. now lets go drink some beer and chase the gals

ya your right. sometimes people ask questions that dont make sense or you think are dumb. I have done the same im sure in my life. Ive allways been the the guy who stood up for the smaller person or the weaker, and I got pissed when the fellow that started the thread was sorta ridiculed. I guess I should just keep my mouth shut, and mind my own business. now lets go drink some beer and chase the gals

It's all good! I just figured that 55chevy was taking the long way around to saying something and wasn't poking fun at all ..... I was kinda sticking up for him. LOL ... now those 2 guys are probably sitting back and enjoying it! :D

Cheer bud! :cheers:

What do you stand to win if you loan it to him.

What do you have to loose?

I don't loan mine period. I will go help friends split wood. That doesn't mean I do it for them. I help them do the work. :chainsaw:

anybody that knows me well enough to ask is probably going to get to borrow about anything that I have and the few times that I've borrowed,it gets taken back better than I got it

A friend of mine loaned his splitter to a friend, so called friend cut his thumb off with it. sued him, lawyer fees and 15,000 setelment. LOAN OUT MY SPLITTER?? YEA RIGHT.:spam:

Favors

If you wanna do him a favor, lend him your sledge and wedge, The exercise will make him healither, and live longer, Tough Love,... LOLOLOL E,J,

Have him help you split 1/2 of a winters wood, now you have him trained, then go over to his house, and you run the splitter, he feeds and tosses, get him set for one winter's worth of wood.
The advantage here is for everyone, you get some work done with a free grunt, he gets his wood done and learns how it should be done, your splitter is safe and back home, you've spent some time teaching an apparently useful skill to your buddy.
Now, he has the experience to rent a splitter, and get his money's worth.

This is how I would handle it.

NO.

I do not owe anyone an explanation, it is my stuff and they have the nerve to ask, I have the nerve to say, NO. It is YOUR equipment, and you have every right to say no when asked.

Call me hard, call me what you want, answer is still no.

+1

From some of the posts on this topic, I gathered that my question was viewed as being rather stupid. If I dont want to loan tools, then I shouldnt. Let me explain a few things.
I have worked for years as a diesel mechanic, and the shops that I have worked in we made it a regular habit of loaning tools to each other. There was a unwritten law about the loan, it came back in a timely fashion, and in at least as good of condition as when it left. If you proved to be unreliable about this unwritten law, then you were blacklisted. Period.
Now, in the case of the woodcutting arena, I wondered if I was being a little harsh in my judgement about loaning tools. My mechanics tools earn my living, and there is nothing worse than being on a road call in the middle of the night and discovering that the tool you need most was returned broken with no mention of the fact. I dont earn my living cutting wood, it is a nice chunk of spare change, I love the work, and its no emergency if a woodspliter goes down, in at least in my case.
My question in the first place was simple, I wondered if you all feel the same personal attachment to your wood cutting tools as I do. I clean and pamper my woodcutting tools the same as my mechanics tools. My chainsaws are a very private tool for me, I get enraged(sometimes quietly, sometimes not) when a buddy's saw runs out of gas and instead of filling up he grabs one of mine out of the truck and continues sawing. Might as well ask to use my toothbrush.
Every industry has their own set of unwritten codes of conduct, and I wondered if I was being a little selfish in not wanting to loaning a woodsplitter to a guy that is clearly going to need it. Almost all his wood is going to be large 30 inch plus white oak that has been down for over two years, and I seriously doubt that much progress will be made with a splitting maul.
To me, it really doesnt matter who is asking, i dont like to loan power tools to anyone.

Its sometimes easier too stretch the truth a little than risk getting someone hurt or having your equipment torn up......I usually tell folks that the splitter was built and is owned by my dad and my two uncles....which it was!.....Dad is the only one besides myself who burns wood any more so I keep the splitter at my place......I'd like too help ya out but it just doesnt belong too me.
Now in my case...this is true.....but I'm sure you can see that this works!.

I usually will take the splitter myself somewhere and help folks out when I can!.

Chainsaw?...that ones easy!!!.....Just say NO! sorry..but I dont loan out my saws!....trucks either!.

Forgetting whos' gottit?????......I used too be a general contractor and have a lot of tools....I'll loan them out no problem....bring them back in as good a shape as ya got them and sign right here on this list...make sure you bring it back and put it back in my hands...so I can take you off the list!!. If you just drop it off and I dont find it????...well...then you still have it!.

A friend of mine loaned his splitter to a friend, so called friend cut his thumb off with it. sued him, lawyer fees and 15,000 setelment. LOAN OUT MY SPLITTER?? YEA RIGHT.:spam:

holy cow!!!

that alone is enough to make me say NO to any one.

Q Have him help you split 1/2 of a winters wood, now you have him trained, then go over to his house, and you run the splitter, he feeds and tosses, get him set for one winter's worth of wood.
The advantage here is for everyone, you get some work done with a free grunt, he gets his wood done and learns how it should be done, your splitter is safe and back home, you've spent some time teaching an apparently useful skill to your buddy.
Now, he has the experience to rent a splitter, and get his money's worth.

This is how I would handle it. Q

Great idea!
Possessions are blessings we have due to good luck or hard work, but still not to be selfish with what I have. But I have loaned out way too much to people who are idiots, so usually I go with any precision or power tool and work together in the task. I am pretty open to loaning except saws, only one person I would ever let touch them adn I bought my first saw from that guy.
I am stunned how many think they are just the victim of bad luck when some is dulled, chipped, wrecked, or otherwise abused.
Most offer to pay for 'the damage', but never intending to follow through. Or they think the reduciton in value is just a little bit...

1. My neighbor wanted to borrow a saw-to cut out roots in a stump hole! Not. 'Oh, I guess I'll have to use my father in laws saw then, I have that in the garage....'

2. Another neighbor I loaned 4wd truck and 3/4t trailer, against my gut instinct, but he was in a bind. Got call at work at 3pm: 'YOUR trailer is in the shopping mall at xxx with a broken frame. What are YOU going to do about it? " Put 6700 lbs of dirt (I found the weigh tickets) in a trailer made from a 3/4 ton pickup. Blew tire, picked up from the back to change tire. Broke frame in middle, overloaded the picup hitch and broke a main leaf on the pickup.... which was a 76 dodge 3/4t extended, so fairly heavy built.

When I borrow, it goes back in better shape-oiled, welded, washed, or something better. Best way to gaurantee I can borrow again. But apparently that's rare. Generalization, but I do find the people with less stuff and more needs often got that way by not working for, or taking care of, the things they do have.

So I am way willing to help, but usually I go with it, and sometimes 'helping' is not really helping....

k

Latest posts

Back