Local hacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just making that reply to industry about the Line clearance guys, I did realize that was the work of local tree clowns, still a shame no matter who performed the work, I wouldnt of thought that would happen in your neck of the woods Boston, you guys seem to have some better regulation & standards out your way!!

Take care Be safe!

LXT...........

Noone has commented on the disposal of their waste (chips). At the base of a city owned tree 4' deep!

They did a bunch of other trees in the area, and they all look the same. My neighbor said they come around every year.

The co. name is great too, perfect for them. But posting it may be in poor form.....:cry:

I am not sure of the rules but if its not against them I feel it ok to post the name of the company. You would be closer to getting an answer to the reason they did the job the way they did. In fact I would think it just fine to call the company and ask about it. It would give them a oppurtunity to defend themselves which is nicer than poking fun behind their backs. If you are that animate about it that it would be your duty to question them personally and head on. I think it more in poor form to do it without them knowing it. Who knows, you might bring them around, hell they might bring you around. Whatever the outcome it would be a good learning experience for everybody. Of course if you did do it I suggest trying to be nice about before you hear their reasoning. If you want I'll do it.

They had an old linesman truck that advertised 36' bucket service on the side.

You know, maybe that is why these trees were topped so low-anything over 36' is out of reach.

After these two steps are completed you can tell all the trimmers out there working for S**T money (vs. res. guys) that they had BETTER care about the health and well being of each and every tree they come across or ELSE.
I guess I'm just anxious to see how far anyone gets into the process.

Industry, you ever think of getting out of line clearance and going to residential? Three years of row was more than enough for me.

Why is this of line clearance??? I know i am about to make generalizations so anyone here who does line clearance please dont take offense...i know not everyone is like this.

But.

Most trees that we see like this...are they done by untrained hacks...the pictures in this forum, have no shape, no proper cuts or anything. Just trying to understand??

Sorry man, I miscommunicated.

What I was driving at is that I, being a foreman on a line clearance crew, see this kind of hack aftermath daily with the co-op that we are contracted to.

The last "line clearance" company on the previous cycle produced this caliber of workmanship, or rather, lack thereof. This has caused me and my crew to try and clean up things best we can and still make our numbers. That we do without excuse or hackery.

If you're going to take the time to cut...cut it right.

Sometimes we can make the best of it and leave a tree in such a way that you'd never know that hacks had a hand in it, other times there is little left to work with.

Go all the way or don't go

It is my opinion but if you take a step to post pictures and call someone out you should direct your thoughts to an actuall person or company. You might find you actuall make a difference when the smoke clears. Besides, its rather juvenile to go about it any other way. I don't see what so wrong with naming the company. I have a list a of jackasses I would like to post. Can I ?

Josh the jaded guy makes a very good point; who is going to pay for the extra work ? It is just not feasible to think that people will be happy to pay extra and most don't care. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it right to leave that pile of crap on someones front door but as far as the trees go it seems like protocol. At least the job wasn't done with one of those machines that lifts up a grinding unit and chomps down leaving splintered remains( the kind of machine on the cover of Arbor Age). Its city work and the city runs out of money fast. On average my guess is a small city has less than 50,000 on hand to deal with the trees. They have to make it go as far as possible.
You , on the other hand, are mostly residential tree workers and there is no comparison. The objectives are way different and so is the task. Some might think that these "hacks" did a good job if you look at what was the goal; to clear the lines. That's it, and they did. If it was there objective to prune those trees properly and they were paid for it, we probably wouldn't see so much "hack". Most likely the reason you see this company around all the time its because they deliver what the city wants and can afford.

If you really want to make a change you should be more subjective, outreach to people who run the show, draw up a game plan and work with them. Personally, if the power is on I can't complain. KUDOS to a job, well, done. Just make sure them sob's don't come around my property.

I dont like naming names. I will question them if/when they come around again....

Which do you dislike more? Naming names or horrid tree work. I am thinking that the city pays these guys and its most likely an open bid every year. Put in a bid and see what happens. Talk about people who take the lowest price, you can't beat the city on that one. Around here Promark bid 9 a day for 3 guys and whatever equipment is needed. The city ran out of money in 40 days. Most companies can't work for 9 a day, there is a ton of work that still needs done and Promark is actually a good company.

Which do you dislike more? Naming names or horrid tree work. I am thinking that the city pays these guys and its most likely an open bid every year. Put in a bid and see what happens. Talk about people who take the lowest price, you can't beat the city on that one. Around here Promark bid 9 a day for 3 guys and whatever equipment is needed. The city ran out of money in 40 days. Most companies can't work for 9 a day, there is a ton of work that still needs done and Promark is actually a good company.

Tree man, I will say it one more time because I know you DID NOT read the entire thread!

THIS WORK WAS DONE BY A PRIVATE TREE Co., NOT WORKING FOR THE CITY!!!!!!!!!

The city tree was hacked ILLEGALLY, and the mulch volcano at the base was dumped ILLEGALLY. Not to mention all work was done unethically. The number on the truck rings to a cell phone which the mailbox is full. They are from a part of ME, which is 4 hours by car to get to. I have a feeling it was fake info and they registered in another state for insurance purposes.

I always love the fly by night tree companies. They always seem to leave a path of destruction that I get calls about a year or two later.

There is nothing worse than having to clean up someone elses mess. i have had a few trees that needed yearly prunings to get back on track.

I will admit when "concerned" customers call us, after hack jobs, I always wonder why they didnt think about in the first place. I know I know, cheap is good the first time. Then I come around and charge more money to get the tree back to a healthy state.

I already told the story of going to the parents house and seeing a 30" diameter beech tree absolutely destroyed, (that was line clearance) but everywhere I go I see more and more of this type pruning. I just ticks me off.

More money and boost to my rep after these guys come through. Unfortunately, they still seem to get work in the area.

I would like to apologize for the way my post came across. I don't hate on the res. guys. I would love to do res. work, but the number of companies here that do it prohibits it.(I'm not sure the market would support another) I understand that the Original poster was not jabbing at Utility guys, only Morons with saws who don't understand the fundamentals of tree work. On the other hand though, some guys do not have enough business to refuse work when a customer demands it. I'm not saying that that was the case for sure here, but it is a possibility. anyway, I just wanted to be sure that everyone knows I wasn't just trying to add fuel to the Res. VS Utility fire.

There were some guys from Maine in our area doing the same thing. In fact they called us and tried to sub a crane job to us, when we said we wanted the money up front they disappeared; I wonder if it was the same crew?

There were some guys from Maine in our area doing the same thing. In fact they called us and tried to sub a crane job to us, when we said we wanted the money up front they disappeared; I wonder if it was the same crew?

Yes it was...........:censored:

They are taking over New England watch out!

Tree man, I will say it one more time because I know you DID NOT read the entire thread!

THIS WORK WAS DONE BY A PRIVATE TREE Co., NOT WORKING FOR THE CITY!!!!!!!!!

The city tree was hacked ILLEGALLY, and the mulch volcano at the base was dumped ILLEGALLY. Not to mention all work was done unethically. The number on the truck rings to a cell phone which the mailbox is full. They are from a part of ME, which is 4 hours by car to get to. I have a feeling it was fake info and they registered in another state for insurance purposes.

No you did not specify the details of who hired them or what they were told to do by whoever is paying them, clearly.
Yes I did read the entire thread ,please don't be so rude. I am not trying to start a pissing contest with you. You were vague. I know many tree co's who do contract work for line clearance on the city's tab, I thought we were talking about something along those lines.
My guess is a very cantakerous old man lives in that property, doesn't have a lot of money and most likely hates that box elder. I can hear him saying" just blow the chips on the tree, maybe it will die and the city will have to take it down!". I guess the pines were to close to messing up his pool house (tarp)and cruising yatch(tub) he's got there and only had short funds to ensure the saftey of his prized possesions. But I don't know the entire story and never will. Not all is good, not all is fair, not all is clear to the eye.
I am not trying to be mean but honestly to me you sound a little uhmm crazy with the all the 'ILLEGAL' hootin about the crappy elder that has been hacked up by one tree guy after the next all its life. It looks like all that was done this time was to cut back some limbs to get them out of the homeowners face. The city was probably long overdue in doing it for the guy or sometimes not at all leaving it for the homeowner to deal with. Which he did, most likely the best he could.
Why don't you try this? Knock on the guys door, let him know who you are, what you do and ask a few questions. If you don't be so bullish you might make some progress in your plight. I'll bet if you don't try the hardsell and maybe give him your card with a 50. 00 coupon the next guy he hires will be you. It also is good to have a little brochure to give visual aid to your exemplary skills. He will either thank you and be your new "friend" or chase you off. Either way, you would be really putting up for what you believe in. Which, I take, it is good tree work.
The Christians used to kill you if you didn't believe them. I think now they have learned that "nice"attracts more business.
I don't want to start trouble with you but I dare you to try knocking on that guys door.

No you did not specify the details of who hired them or what they were told to do by whoever is paying them, clearly.
Yes I did read the entire thread ,please don't be so rude. I am not trying to start a pissing contest with you. You were vague. I know many tree co's who do contract work for line clearance on the city's tab, I thought we were talking about something along those lines.
My guess is a very cantakerous old man lives in that property, doesn't have a lot of money and most likely hates that box elder. I can hear him saying" just blow the chips on the tree, maybe it will die and the city will have to take it down!". I guess the pines were to close to messing up his pool house (tarp)and cruising yatch(tub) he's got there and only had short funds to ensure the saftey of his prized possesions. But I don't know the entire story and never will. Not all is good, not all is fair, not all is clear to the eye.
I am not trying to be mean but honestly to me you sound a little uhmm crazy with the all the 'ILLEGAL' hootin about the crappy elder that has been hacked up by one tree guy after the next all its life. It looks like all that was done this time was to cut back some limbs to get them out of the homeowners face. The city was probably long overdue in doing it for the guy or sometimes not at all leaving it for the homeowner to deal with. Which he did, most likely the best he could.
Why don't you try this? Knock on the guys door, let him know who you are, what you do and ask a few questions. If you don't be so bullish you might make some progress in your plight. I'll bet if you don't try the hardsell and maybe give him your card with a 50. 00 coupon the next guy he hires will be you. It also is good to have a little brochure to give visual aid to your exemplary skills. He will either thank you and be your new "friend" or chase you off. Either way, you would be really putting up for what you believe in. Which, I take, it is good tree work.
The Christians used to kill you if you didn't believe them. I think now they have learned that "nice"attracts more business.
I don't want to start trouble with you but I dare you to try knocking on that guys door.

I felt I was fairly clear in post number 1 of this thread. I wasn't aware that i should spell it out.

I have never seen a car in the driveway, garage is full of junk so I know its not in there. When I do see some sign of life I will knock and try to inform them. I too have a feeling its an old man who could careless and will most likely tell me to Piss off.

As for the ILLEGAL stuff, is it not illegal in your community? MA has very strict tree laws and ordinances. Why not enforce them? Is it only OK to enforce them on certain people and not others? Sounds kinda liberal to me :chainsaw:

I hope I didn't come off BULLish to you? I just get frustrated with people nitpicking posts........:cheers:

Back