Local hacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a company from ME in my neighborhood 2 weeks ago. They had an old linesman truck that advertised 36' bucket service on the side. They were doing door to door sales. They wore NO PPE, chipped onto the ground, and were attrocious!

Take a look...........

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nope, not very explicit. The pictures do show some poor workmanship I agree. Nitpicking was not my intent either, sorry you feel that way. I do not feel as though I was nitpicking, I feel that you are and that's ok. A high level of ethics would demand it as would a obsessed lunatic. What I am saying is; try to see all the angles, be detailed( what did the trees look like before?),
and try to be reasonable. You and I both know the guy that lives in that house would not be able to afford you unless he sold his dialysis machine.

I don't think this is about whether the "old man" had to sell his dialysis machine to pay for this pruning or not. Its more about what ever he did pay to for this job was a rip off because the pruning practices caused more harm then good.

I don't think this is about whether the "old man" had to sell his dialysis machine to pay for this pruning or not. Its more about what ever he did pay to for this job was a rip off because the pruning practices caused more harm then good.

I know, the pines looked hacked and for no apparent reason, but there is a reason hacks were chosen to do this job. At this point it would only be speculation; what do you think the reason is?

I felt I was fairly clear in post number 1 of this thread. I wasn't aware that i should spell it out.

I have never seen a car in the driveway, garage is full of junk so I know its not in there. When I do see some sign of life I will knock and try to inform them. I too have a feeling its an old man who could careless and will most likely tell me to Piss off.

As for the ILLEGAL stuff, is it not illegal in your community? MA has very strict tree laws and ordinances. Why not enforce them? Is it only OK to enforce them on certain people and not others? Sounds kinda liberal to me :chainsaw:

I hope I didn't come off BULLish to you? I just get frustrated with people nitpicking posts........:cheers:

If there is a judge who would pass judgement based on your first post I hope I am never in his juristiction. When you see work like this find solstice in your own convictions. And of course feel free to take the actions that a guy of your caliber would feel proper.

I would say the guys knocked on the old mans door and Scammed him. Proclaiming that they where arborists when in reality they where a few guys witha a habit and a need to make some Quick cash in a town where no one knew the true nature of their business.

I know, the pines looked hacked and for no apparent reason, but there is a reason hacks were chosen to do this job. At this point it would only be speculation; what do you think the reason is?

The reason they where chosen is because the homeowner probabaly did not know any better.. They probably did it for there Bar/liquior bill for that week.
It is a shame the they paid somebody to do that to there trees. They will never recover from that, I see piss poor uneducated work like that in my town all the time. But what can you do? I just try to educate my customers as you should about the princables of proper pruning, and hope its not all about the lowest price to them.. Because you get what you pay for in my book.

I would say the guys knocked on the old mans door and Scammed him. Proclaiming that they where arborists when in reality they where a few guys witha a habit and a need to make some Quick cash in a town where no one knew the true nature of their business.

I don't wish to sound like a lawyer but, speculation, speculation, speculation. I can't believe a reasonable person would say that with no proof whatsoever... although I guess it is possible that he was scammed.
BB, you took the time to take and post the pictures and its very clear that your motive is driven by your dedication; do you think you could do what I asked and get the whole story? I know its only one instance and there are many more hacks out there to reckon with but it seems you have a lead on one and a chance to turn this around to work for YOU.
I would knock and say" hello so and so, I noticed you just had your trees trimmed and want to ask you some questions concerning your satisfaction. Would you take the time to talk to me?" I know you don't really care about his satisfaction at this point and the 50.00 cuopon is just a hook but you would open the lines of communication. Either he chases you off or you embed yourself deeper in the community. You might just get more of a lead on the hat rack rat hacks and be in a better position to run them out. I have done it before and I have to say it has been worth it either way. Also let us know what you find out.
I swear to GOD this guy's brother lives down the road from me and if I drive by and see a limb that has fallen across the drive I chip it for FREE. The guy is on his deathbed practically and the place is a mess. The community knows its my truck there and they know the old man. They are warmed to me and now use my services for which I am paid. I just killed 2 with 1, the hacks aren't needed, neither is the yellow page ad.

I don't wish to sound like a lawyer but, speculation, speculation, speculation. I can't believe a reasonable person would say that with no proof whatsoever... although I guess it is possible that he was scammed.
BB, you took the time to take and post the pictures and its very clear that your motive is driven by your dedication; do you think you could do what I asked and get the whole story? I know its only one instance and there are many more hacks out there to reckon with but it seems you have a lead on one and a chance to turn this around to work for YOU.
I would knock and say" hello so and so, I noticed you just had your trees trimmed and want to ask you some questions concerning your satisfaction. Would you take the time to talk to me?" I know you don't really care about his satisfaction at this point and the 50.00 cuopon is just a hook but you would open the lines of communication. Either he chases you off or you embed yourself deeper in the community. You might just get more of a lead on the hat rack rat hacks and be in a better position to run them out. I have done it before and I have to say it has been worth it either way. Also let us know what you find out.
I swear to GOD this guy's brother lives down the road from me and if I drive by and see a limb that has fallen across the drive I chip it for FREE. The guy is on his deathbed practically and the place is a mess. The community knows its my truck there and they know the old man. They are warmed to me and now use my services for which I am paid. I just killed 2 with 1, the hacks aren't needed, neither is the yellow page ad.

Ill tell you the whole story.

There was a company from ME in my neighborhood 2 weeks ago. They had an old linesman truck that advertised 36' bucket service on the side. They were doing door to door sales.
That is the same thing that I said in my first post. How is that not clear that they were looking for quick money, and they were NOT working for the city?

The pines were big beautiful and healthy looking before. Had some bones in them but nothing major. The Boxelder was hacked by the line trimmers years ago, but now it looks like it might be on its last leg.

I know they were door to door selling because 3 of my neighbors said they were. They pulled up out front gave them their card said we are in the area and wanted to know if you needed any work done. I also know fom talking to a few of my friends, and other employees, that they have been doing this for quite some time.

Any other questions? Would you like to know what my neighbor had to eat that day?

If I had to spell out every post like this I wouldnt post here!

TreemanDan.........do you know what your problem is?

You think too much!

Speculation speculation................this isnt lawyerssite .com

Ill tell you the whole story.

There was a company from ME in my neighborhood 2 weeks ago. They had an old linesman truck that advertised 36' bucket service on the side. They were doing door to door sales.
That is the same thing that I said in my first post. How is that not clear that they were looking for quick money, and they were NOT working for the city?

The pines were big beautiful and healthy looking before. Had some bones in them but nothing major. The Boxelder was hacked by the line trimmers years ago, but now it looks like it might be on its last leg.

I know they were door to door selling because 3 of my neighbors said they were. They pulled up out front gave them their card said we are in the area and wanted to know if you needed any work done. I also know fom talking to a few of my friends, and other employees, that they have been doing this for quite some time.

Any other questions? Would you like to know what my neighbor had to eat that day?

If I had to spell out every post like this I wouldnt post here!

TreemanDan.........do you know what your problem is?

You think too much!

Speculation speculation................this isnt lawyerssite .com

I wonder why they didn't knock on your door BB? ;)

I lost that job in Worcester

I had that removal job in Worcesters' burncoat area. 4 hemlocks 1 maple. I told the customer it would be a few weeks due to snow cover, let it melt a bit. No problem. Two weeks later the customer calls and says he found a company that will take care of it asap. I said to myself who is gonna do this job with 2' of snow on the ground? Just so happins that this job is on my plow route for the city. And when do you think they did it. In the middle of that Nor'easter 3 mondays ago. The city plow inspector called me and said some Co. out of Maine is doing the job I was telling him about. So I take a ride by. What a hack. Junk dump truck, little 6" chipper blowing chips in the street (in the middle of a Nor'easter mind you) a bunch of monkeys with no hard hats climbing all over eachother trying to get over the snow banks.
So the owner of this company comes over to one of my trucks (I had 2 trucks on the route so we both went over and watched for a good 1/2 hour laughing our butts off) The guy says "hey buddie where can I get rid of some chips" I said what outfit are you and where are you from? He told me they are from Haverhill. I told him how the customer canceled on me for another company that could do it asap. I said you came all the way to Worcester to do this job in the middle of a blizzard? He said his crew loves a challange. I said I have no idea where to dump chips maybe you should bring them home with you. Next thing you know my inspector calls and says the police are on their way because they are blowing chips in the road. So I said good luck with the job and went back to plowing. Come to find out WPD made them shovel all the chips on the customers property.
Three days later the company owner calls me and asks how much to "just put the maple on the ground" I laughed and told him I was leaving Sunday for my 2 week family funtime in the suntime coronatime vacation in Mexico. He asked if I know anyone local that could help him out. I told him to call Dillon Tree, they will take good care of you. I havent been by since I got back but I'm pretty sure that maple is still standing.:givebeer:

good lord.

Burncoat st isnt like a bad neighborhood either.. the hacked trees are gonna stand out.

Some chineese folks were doin there leaves n the beggining of december after all the leaf pickups were done on Lake ave .. just droppin them on the curb when plows were gonna be going by n a few short hrs. basicly they were giving them to there neighbors..

Sure enough the cops came and talked to my boss and I asking if we put them there. Pointed over to the orientals and the cop ent right over there and chewed them out.

next thing you know theyre fillin plastic garbage bags full of leaves...

I guess they didnt get the memo you need the brown paper yard waste bags to dump them.

They arent gonna call Dillon to drop that maple, they prob didnt bid the job high enough to sub anything out.

What can be done about these guys? Running around MA hacking trees..

Hacks Invading Worcester

I know what this guy got for the job. I asked him. Exactly $50 less than my bid. Does anyone think this clown knows what trees are worth around here. I guarantee he asked my price then cut it by $50. They worked on the 4 hemlocks in the front for 3 days & the maple still stands. I would have finished the job in 10 hrs.

I know this is off topic but....

any of you guys interested in a job in marlboro? too far outta the way for me! Pm me if interested

I know what this guy got for the job. I asked him. Exactly $50 less than my bid. Does anyone think this clown knows what trees are worth around here. I guarantee he asked my price then cut it by $50. They worked on the 4 hemlocks in the front for 3 days & the maple still stands. I would have finished the job in 10 hrs.

Whats up Russell....nice loader you built bro, that things a sweet backyard machine......and my dad said you bought a new Al-62...how do you like it? we love ours.

That's too bad you got undercut like that, but what else is new in Worcester! We like to stick to shrews bury, where every one knows us, and what we are all about.....repeat customers are the best!

Il vouch for you though, you run one of the few good companies in our area, but I'm sorry to say we have mostly hacks as competitors.

Last edited:
dood

DonnyO and Alpine Jesus would NEVER stand for that s#!t in our backyard! I'd invite them to Southie just for the chance to put them on the bottom of the Fort Point Channel..............

Being new to the site and new to the Country I'm not going to get involved in politics. I am just going to say that it REALLY pisses me off when unskilled monkeys butcher beautiful trees for a fast buck.

We have the same problem in Scotland, Unimog and Husky 66, no skill...

It pains me to see such a bad job done.

Been years since the lines have been cleared in my town and sure enough, after one good storm last fall, a local large tree company came in to clear all the phase lines. What a mess. Hack, hack, hack. I guess in a way though I should be greatful. Next storm a number of trees will be going down as a result and the cleanup is good for me. But what a bad job of cutting. And these aren't just run of the mill guys either. Respected in the area, or at least I thought.

Whats up Russell....nice loader you built bro, that things a sweet backyard machine......and my dad said you bought a new Al-62...how do you like it? we love ours.

That's too bad you got undercut like that, but what else is new in Worcester! We like to stick to shrews bury, where every one knows us, and what we are all about.....repeat customers are the best!

Il vouch for you though, you run one of the few good companies in our area, but I'm sorry to say we have mostly hacks as competitors.

Timmy...whats new brother. Happy new year to you and the family.
Thanks for the kind words. As far as loosing that job to the hack, this time of year I could care less. I figured it would be a good job for a nice day. But during the season when its time to make the donuts I really get B/S when it happens. Your right about repeat & referral customers they keep us going. Hopefully some of the local hacks are starving right now & will be out of business by spring. 07 was what I refer to as "the year of the cut throats" These guys will just ask the customer for their best price and cut it by a couple bucks. No ethics. When I bid a job I don't ask questions. I simply tell the customer exactly how I will do the job, give them a written estimate, and then the ball is in their court. I have never once made a follow up call, I'm not out to annoy people. I'd probably pick up more work but that's just how I am & I think my customers respect that.
Anyway I love the new AL-62. Its the cats-ass. The height is impressive but the reach blows me away almost daily. We will have to get together & do a coffee or a cold one soon. ----Rusty

Back