LOCUST....Is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood Doctor,

Yeah it's weird how some species get better in round format for a bit, easier to split and better firewood.

Others like hickory and locust left in round format to long or standing dead can be a royal nightmare to split even with a splitter, and they don't seem to get any better split green or standing dead and split.

For sure we are all learning with firewood each and every season and that is the fun of it :)

Knowing When to Split

Wood Doctor,

Yeah it's weird how some species get better in round format for a bit, easier to split and better firewood.

Others like hickory and locust left in round format to long or standing dead can be a royal nightmare to split even with a splitter, and they don't seem to get any better split green or standing dead and split.

For sure we are all learning with firewood each and every season and that is the fun of it :)
I have noticed that locust logs split with a "bang" when dried in the round too long. Pear wood (Bradford or Cleveland) does the same thing. It reminds you of a cherry bomb or an M-80 going off. The explosion is loud even when wearing hearing protection.

Learning when to split each species is all part of the game. Some men never learn the rules. It takes lots of experience and the books say very little.

Thanks for the link.. I've burnt some apple the last couple years, not much but some and knew it was decent, just didn't realize it was as good as it was... even better than LOCUST! lol

Wood Doctor,

Since it was such a hot summer this year and none of the tree guys did anything i got around to splitting up most of my longterm rounds.

I hear you on the pear wood, had quite a few of them that the splitter almost stopped then bang!
Made splitting both fun and dangerous all in one go :)
All the black locust i split was about the same also.

3 year old rounds of shagbark hickory were the worse though.
Either a fail of a kaboom, each piece seemed to get 2 or 3 turns before the splitter could get it and it always ended up in a shuttle sort of launch LOL

From now on if i get more shagbark in it's getting split right away LOL

Freakingstang,

Apple is some mighty fine firewood.
Smells like heaven and btu nearly identical to shagbark hickory.

Apple, crab apple, pear, plum, peach all similar in btu and smell.
I never pass on collecting them.

They can make a mighty cold night warm and mighty crabby neighbours love the smell of your fireplace smoke.

The Magnificent Group...

... are berrywoods, nutwoods, fruitwoods, ash, and locust. You can also throw in red elm and hard maple.

What we probably need most is a list of all those to ignore during the wood hunt--box elder, pine, linden, willow, poplar, etc. Most of these are worse than eastern cottonwood.

... are berrywoods, nutwoods, fruitwoods, ash, and locust. You can also throw in red elm and hard maple.

What we probably need most is a list of all those to ignore during the wood hunt--box elder, pine, linden, willow, poplar, etc. Most of these are worse than eastern cottonwood.

There is no need to ignore those woods. They have their place. In my eastern hardwood forests, I wouldn't go crazy loading up on tulip poplar while ignoring the oak. But I sure don't want to load my stove with oak when it is 50 degrees out. About a third of the wood I put back every year is of species you would ignore. And I'm always glad to have them.

There is no need to ignore those woods. They have their place. In my eastern hardwood forests, I wouldn't go crazy loading up on tulip poplar while ignoring the oak. But I sure don't want to load my stove with oak when it is 50 degrees out. About a third of the wood I put back every year is of species you would ignore. And I'm always glad to have them.

Right on. Out west where there are no hardwood forests almost every one of those species named is regarded as 'green gold'.

Harry K

Don't you guys have things like norway maple and silver maple to scavange out west?
They seem to be planted just about everywhere.
Not true hardwoods but they both burn like one.

Pretty much everything here is hardwood, even the softwood is pretty hard :)

That's what happens when you get 355 days of winter and Thursday LOL

Last edited:
I'm burning poplar right now myself.
Someone dropped it in to me earlier this year and it's thursday so summer :)

Shoulder wood i figure pretty much any wood that produces heat is good.

Holy Cow!

Right on. Out west where there are no hardwood forests almost every one of those species named is regarded as 'green gold'.

Harry K
Harry, if I were to supply a truckload of box elder, poplar, pine, or eastern cottonwood to any of my customers, they would tell me to take the truck back home still full.

Sadly, that's the way it is. Perhaps we have a spoiled society. :bang:

Harry, if I were to supply a truckload of box elder, poplar, pine, or eastern cottonwood to any of my customers, they would tell me to take the truck back home still full.

If I was buying wood, I wouldn't pay as much for it. If I was sold a cord of mixed hardwoods and that came I'd be upset. It isn't a good wood to sell because the investment is the same but the return is less. But I'd be burning up right now if it wasn't for my stash of pine.

Freakingstang,

Apple is some mighty fine firewood.
Smells like heaven and btu nearly identical to shagbark hickory.

Apple, crab apple, pear, plum, peach all similar in btu and smell.
I never pass on collecting them.

They can make a mighty cold night warm and mighty crabby neighbours love the smell of your fireplace smoke.

Yeah the smell is great. Ranks up there imo, like I said, I knew it was decent, just didn't know it was that good... Thanks to my neighbor, I have a whole fenceline of apple that is over grown into my property..... hmmmmmm :msp_biggrin:

Out here one burns tht stuff or he doesn't burn at all - it is that simple. I sold Willow at $120 a cord for around 15 years and have an order I am working on filling now for 4 more next year.
Top species here is Tamarack and Fir - both sold at premium prices and not available except in the mountains.

One can only be a 'wood snob' when one has a choice, out here and north into Canada there just isn't much choice.

Harry K

Learning when to split each species is all part of the game. Some men never learn the rules. It takes lots of experience and the books say very little.

Some of us just like breaking rules - and the spirit of any wood that wants to put up a fight :msp_biggrin:

Wood Doctor,

Dito for me, if i deliver no less than the best hardwoods to customers they would send me home .
I mix in some silver maple for everyone though, not to cheat them but to let them start fires.
Customers don't understand that most of the real dence hardwoods are painfull to get going without something that will burn semi fast.

I end up burning box elder and poplar myself in shoulder season.
Not much else you can do with it other than break out the shredder or have a giant bonfire.
Most jobs though a sign that says (free wood) goes at the tree customers curb, can't win them all though and some comes home.
Then the (free wood) sign goes up at the front of my place LOL
Always end up with a cord or two though no matter what.

Last edited:
Wood Doctor,

Dito for me, if i deliver no less than the best hardwoods to customers they would send me home .
I mix in some silver maple for everyone though, not to cheat them but to let them start fires.
Customers don't understand that most of the real dence hardwoods are painfull to get going without something that will burn semi fast.

I end up burning box elder and poplar myself in shoulder season.
Not much else you can do with it other than break out the shredder or have a giant bonfire.
Most jobs though a sign that says (free wood) goes at the tree customers curb, can't win them all though and some comes home.
Then the (free wood) sign goes up at the front of my place LOL
Always end up with a cord or two though no matter what.

I look at it this way. If they don't want it and it has to be removed from the site then they pay me to haul home mine or your firewood. Of course I sell mostly the good stuff like oak and such. I'm done with mixed hardwoods for sale. There is no money in that stuff around here. Most of my customers want oak.

You can not educate some people about keeping the wood off the ground and dry from rain or snow. I get comments like "I hope your wood burns better than the last guys did in my fire place last winter." Then I see the rotten frozen mess laying in a heap out back or on the side. I just try to educate them and once in a while it actually works. Most of them never get it that you need some good dry small semi-hardwood to get the coals or fire going. They think white oak and harder stuff will just go right up in there crappy setup fireplace after laying in the mud and frozen all winter.

On the flip side I could burn green oak cut yesterday in a decent stove with a good draft. I'm not saying I would but I think you get my point here. I know people that burn green pine in the shop stove and never have any trouble with anything. Their motto is it was free and it puts out heat so if you don't want it by all means please drop it off for me, so I do. If they are full up then it goes to the guy who makes campfire wood for the campgrounds.

I have a few customers that are real sharpies and could burn a wet rock if they had too. These are the "smart ones" I call them. They always order a cord of oak or two with some smaller splits of mixed hardwoods. Then the second order is always for semi seasoned or almost green wood of the hardest stuff I have on hand. The price is never and issue with them. Who do you think calls back year after year? I'd rather sell less wood to well educated repeat customers because they always tell-a-friend who brought them just what they wanted every time for their fireplace.

I've even had to educate a few on not ordering red cedar to burn in the fire place. "We like the smell of red cedar" my response is "you like your house better, trust me on that." That is after I find out they have no shield of any kind on the damn thing. They always say the same thing. "We like to see the fire directly when we burn the fireplace" and I respond, "I don't sell red cedar for under 500 a cord and it only comes in small rounds if I have any available." I don't think any of them realize the danger there. Then I do the long song about how dangerous this would be with all that carpet there yada yada yada. Most get it and thank you, some just don't. Like I would cut up large red cedar to burn for fun, really? I can think of ten thousand other things to use Jersey Red Cedar for.

Most all wood burns and puts out heat. Treat your wood right and it will be good to you in toasty returns on many a cold night :)

Locust RULES!!! Green or the elusive black. They are well worth the extra effort to harvest!!!!!!!!!

If you ask what I charge a cord for locust and then hesitate, then you really don't want it. I could care less because I can sell it for top dollar hand over fist everyday of the week.

Use damn good semi-chisel round cut hard ass chain, wide open bar oilier, go a lil fat on the tune, eat your wheaties and smile every time you wake to a bed of coals.

Last edited:
Naked Arborist,

Trouble for me is i work about 3 months for 2 different tree services as helper, log removal and semi easy one man removal.
When i arrive to the site it's either a giant pile of logs or a tree with an X on it.

I would say about 30% of the wood is total crap and i have to get inventive to try and not haul it home.
Box elder, willow, spruce etc or just rotted crud.

I get decent money from both sets of guys and all the useful wood but main thing is to make the property clean of wood and make the customer happy.
I get nothing from the customer other than the occasional chat about how everything looks when done.
So some days I'm just stuck hauling crud.

Same thing for us here with people selling face cords of wood for as little as $40 so you have to get creative on things like delivery and quality.
I sell a 1/2 cords delivered to location stacked on pallets holders and covered $140, buy 2 for $250.
Also sell specific wood all apple all hickory same delivery $300cord.
If people go hunting for bargain wood that is generally what they get so i don't waste my time trying to compete with peoples backyard mud and mold wood for $40.

Campfire wood here is generally the same thing as fireplace wood, people expect it to be all hardwood.
Guess we are seriously spoilt here for wood.

So when i see a big pile of box elder at a job and a customer with a very tidy lawn i just know I'm hauling it home and probably burning it in my stove at some point LOL

I have a question for you. Do you sign on for hauling the wood or does your boss expect it to be part of your job? What I mean is, do you get paid extra to haul loads away from the work site? I hope so. Sometimes we all get stuck with crap and have no real use for it. This is one of the reasons I have made it a point to charge more per job if I have to buck firewood, haul anything away from the site or move it to another location on site. If the load is crap in a bad location it will be even more to remove.

Picture in the newspaper (Spokesman Review, Spokane, wa) of a guy chunking a round to the side, big grin on his face. Big windstorm last night laid down trees, one a big old black locust in front of his house. Street crew bucking it etc. Gave the rounds to him. All he needed to do was toss them off the street. Nice sizes too, The tree went to all stems right off the stump so all the rounds were small gauge with, from what showed, only a few tht would need split once.

Harry K

Back