Log Amount Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furious

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys I just got back into doing my own wood this year. I burn about 4 cords a year on average and plan on doing 4 cords a year for myself to always stay a year ahead and also as much as I can do to sell on the side. My question is this, I fill the bed of my F-250 short box (6.5 feet) and an 11 foot trailer about 3-4 feet high on average for each trip out of the bush. I cut the logs into lengths too fit into each and then cut and split it at home. If I were to cut it into stovelengths in the bush then carry it home should I theoretically be able to carry more or less wood? With the price of gas I would like to cut down on trips as much as I can.

Thanks!!!

Log length you will be able to carry more. An easy quick test, do it one way and then the other.

how much wood

Hi guys I just got back into doing my own wood this year. I burn about 4 cords a year on average and plan on doing 4 cords a year for myself to always stay a year ahead and also as much as I can do to sell on the side. My question is this, I fill the bed of my F-250 short box (6.5 feet) and an 11 foot trailer about 3-4 feet high on average for each trip out of the bush. I cut the logs into lengths too fit into each and then cut and split it at home. If I were to cut it into stovelengths in the bush then carry it home should I theoretically be able to carry more or less wood? With the price of gas I would like to cut down on trips as much as I can.

Thanks!!!

You will get more in the pickup bed by cutting them into 15 inch blocks u should be able to get 5 ricks this way. Putting full length peices in a pickup bed with wheel wells is gona leave alot of space. If your trailer has no wheel wells then put 11 foot lengths in it.

You will get more in the pickup bed by cutting them into 15 inch blocks u should be able to get 5 ricks this way. Putting full length peices in a pickup bed with wheel wells is gona leave alot of space. If your trailer has no wheel wells then put 11 foot lengths in it.

5 ricks @ a 15" length in a short bed pick up seems unlikely. A rick as i understand it is 4' x 8' x a given length, in this case 15". Thats almost a 1/3 of a cord, my shortbed wont hold 1 and 2/3 cord of wood.

Cutting to length and stacking will be more efficient than full length logs(unless they are perfectly straight and neatly packed). Cut, split, and stacked in your rig will be the most efficient way to haul your wood.

Cutting to length and stacking will be more efficient than full length logs(unless they are perfectly straight and neatly packed). Cut, split, and stacked in your rig will be the most efficient way to haul your wood.

Assuming the logs are reasonably straight, the smaller you work up the wood, less will fit into a given space.

Harry K

Last edited:
The thing with wood, it is not about the amount, it is about handling it as FEW times as possible.

If you bring home lengths, you cut it, load it, unload it, cut it smaller, split it, stack it, burn it.

If you cut & split it on site, you cut it small, split it, load it, unload it, stack it, burn it.

See!:hmm3grin2orange:

Assuming the logs are reasonably straight, the smaller you work up the wood, less will fit into a given space.

Harry K

Have you ever heard of the 20 cord loads of logs that turn into 17-18? I've never heard of anybody getting more firewood out of a measured load of logs.

Im still perplexed on how a guy gets 5 ricks of 15" wood in a shortbed pick up.

My idea

I would cut and buck at the site and split at home. That is how I somehow manage to get the best bang for the gas buck.

Without some sort of lift, I don't see getting a 18"x6' log in the back of the truck very easy.

BTW, my 99 dodge ram 1500 regular bed will hold exactly 1 face cord (4'x8'x16") of split wood.

With oak I can load more, with hickory that is all I can put in it.

I would cut and buck at the site and split at home. That is how I somehow manage to get the best bang for the gas buck.

Without some sort of lift, I don't see getting a 18"x6' log in the back of the truck very easy.

BTW, my 99 dodge ram 1500 regular bed will hold exactly 1 face cord (4'x8'x16") of split wood.

With oak I can load more, with hickory that is all I can put in it.

Exactly what i was thinking, getting 5 of those in a shortbed is absurd!

Kinda got into this question a couple years ago. Someone was buying his wood in rounds. When he picked them up they were stacked between 2 poles 4ft high and 8ft long. The rounds were 24" long. So, 2 rows should have been a cord. When he got it all split it was considerably less than a cord. He was passing the short cord on to his customers as a full cord, because he bought that amount as a cord. It wasn't his fault when stacked it was tighter and less. My opinion, and that of most of the members here, and by all legal definitions of a Cord, he was shorting his customers. I have an 8ft dump trailer and I often quarter big rounds to save time and split them later. My side boards were made to come out to 128 cubic feet. If I load rounds and quarters to the top of the side boards, take them home and split and re-stack them on the trailer, the pile is about 5 or 6 inches lower the full length of the trailer. Split wood stacks tighter than big rounds or logs. Many years ago when I was Younger and Dumber, I went against my Dads advice, and bought a tractor trailer load of Oak logs. It was sold as 10 cords, after it was all split, it just made 7 cords, Joe.

So most of the wood I am getting is pretty straight, maple, birch and ash. I tend to take most of it no bigger than 12-15 inches. It is pretty heavy and cumbersome to load, but I hate going to the gym and lifting weights, so loading is a workout but I like it lol!!
Unloading is a snap due to the slope I back down, I can slide it all out pretty easy. Once it is unloaded, it is cut, split and then stacked ready for the woodstove.

I grabbed two loads today and really worked on filling in all the nooks and crannies, made a huge difference. Until I can find an affordable tandem trailer that I can throw 2 cords in at a time I am stuck with this method for now. I appreciate all the advice guys, I still have a lot to learn about saving time and money to make it as affordable as possible!! Getting a cord of wood for $75 is pretty good in my area, good thing I enjoy the work that goes with it!! :clap::clap:

Have you ever heard of the 20 cord loads of logs that turn into 17-18? I've never heard of anybody getting more firewood out of a measured load of logs.

I did the math one time...a tri-axle load of poles was something like 10.25 cords (in log length); but only netted me about 7.5 cords cut on the ground. The guy who sold it to me actually told me that most guys will tell you its ten cords in a load, but in reality your lucky to get eight.

I think how you haul it depends on the situation. I am contemplating the same thing, I have to haul it a distance and it would be quicker to cut, quicker to load, and easier to haul in log length. But at the same time, its easier to handle the rounds once you get where your going. Since my trailer is set up to haul it cut to length, I'll probably keep going that route.

Until I can find an affordable tandem trailer that I can throw 2 cords in at a time I am stuck with this method for now.

I have a 2500HD Silverado with a 6.0L and a 10k GVW equipment trailer that's setup with a 12x7x2 box, and full of green firewood; I wouldn't want to take much more. Mainly because on soft ground its easy to stick...and firewood doesn't always grow along pavement.

I actually take a smaller (purpose built) trailer with me that can go where ever the truck goes...just so I don't get it stuck. This is one of those times where having more than one option (or trailers in this instance) is a good thing.

Latest posts

Back