Log arches.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've posted information on my homemade arch here before, but since the subject came up again, I thought I'd show a photograph of it again for anyone interested in seeing one more example.

We bought a Hud-Son arch this fall and are very happy with it. The pic shows an 8' x 20" white pine with its tail slightly dragging as the tongs were too small to grab well. I have since replaced the tongs with a choke chain and have had no problem fully suspending a 24" diam log. We have also skidded several 16' - 20' firewood logs (birch & maple), fully suspended, over a half mile long trail. It tows really well with just an occasional lurch if it hits a bump the wrong way.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
How hard is it to make a turn with loaded log arch?

Not hard unless you have more weight than the equipment can handle. Lenght of the log will determin how much swing you have. The longer the log and sharper the turn the more room you will need for the swing of the tail.

Hey epa i like the trailer... I think the arch would be a pain to hook up and tow out just one at a time... I used to have a trailer 20' long rigged up like yours worked great. I have a spray rig trailer i am refurbishing to use like yours. I was wondering if i was the only person who liked the design.i had used 4x6's as loading planks on the 20'r ... As narrow as it is have you ever flipped it over while pulling logs up? Have you thought of making the tongue hinge so you can release it and then pull cart out from under the load?

How hard is it to make a turn with loaded log arch?

A lot easier than I thought it would be. I have brought out several 16' logs through the bush (no trail), it does hang up sometimes but if you're careful and paying attention it is quite maneuverable.

log arch in process

i started making a log arch for behind my 4 wheeler last fall but ran out of time before snow fell i will enclude pictures of it , its not done but wen the snow finally melts to where i can work outside i will finish it. i also ave pictures of my son towing it with his electric 4 wheeler. still need to add braces , winch and chain hooks. hope tis helps if someone is looking to make one also.View attachment 177411View attachment 177412View attachment 177413View attachment 177414View attachment 177415

Latest posts

Back