Log Cabin anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Log Cabin questions

Anybody ever built a log cabin? Your logs or manufactured logs? Info appreciated/pros/cons, many thanks,Trevor:monkey:

http://www.cjohnhebert.com/

Go to the bottom and follow the pages as he builds his log cabin with his logsol mill..

entryside.jpg

the wifey and i are looking into doing this

we have been wanting to do this since i got out of the service. and i have been doing alot of websurfing for info. i did find a useful article yesterday. we are in the process of trying to acqiure land to build upon. just got to find the right spot. here is the site i found, it is an article from popular mechanics december 1983.

http://outlands.tripod.com/farm/logcabin.htm

I've personally built two, and worked on others. Do tons of research before you commit to one. There is a lot of maintenance with a log home, as well as tons of extra stuff to buy if you plan on a two-story. Not to mention the tool investment you'll have... Unless you try to wing-it.

As a builder, I think they're a pain in the butt-for the product you get in the end. But, if it's really what you want to do, no one will be able to sway you.

A good way to look at the construction cost too, is to break it down by the foot... A standard built home may cost you around 10 bucks a foot to dry-in, where a log shell might exceed 20+.

The best log design I've seen (For several reasons) is the Nordique (nor-deek) http://www.nordiqueloghomes.com/b_system.html

:)

Here's the most recent pic I have of our family cabin that has been an ongoing project since 2002. The logs are 6x6 with a canted face and there are close to 400 of them in there.

If you decide to mill your own logs you can save BIG $$$ over factory produced logs or kits, BUT.... be prepared to sweat..... a lot.

attachment.php

Here's the most recent pic I have of our family cabin that has been an ongoing project since 2002. The logs are 6x6 with a canted face and there are close to 400 of them in there.

If you decide to mill your own logs you can save BIG $$$ over factory produced logs or kits, BUT.... be prepared to sweat..... a lot.

attachment.php

Aggie,

Nice cabin!

jerry-

Thanks to all

Thanks to all you guys for the info and pics. Nice to get to hear something optimistic and not your standard pessimistic response that is so common in these times we live! Check out this site_www.panelconcepts.com. Yes they are modular cabin kits that are prefabbed and you literally screw them together......,but, they are very top notch. He has many designs that start at 4k for a hunting camp!!!!!!! Heck he can do you a complete 1200sq ft cabin kit w metal roof for like 36k and they are darn nice!!!!check it out. Takes a lot of the guess work out of it and reduces the million trips to the lumber yard to like 3:clap:

Thanks to all you guys for the info and pics. Nice to get to hear something optimistic and not your standard pessimistic response that is so common in these times we live! Check out this site_www.panelconcepts.com. Yes they are modular cabin kits that are prefabbed and you literally screw them together......,but, they are very top notch. He has many designs that start at 4k for a hunting camp!!!!!!! Heck he can do you a complete 1200sq ft cabin kit w metal roof for like 36k and they are darn nice!!!!check it out. Takes a lot of the guess work out of it and reduces the million trips to the lumber yard to like 3:clap:

Those look pretty simple... You and a couple buddy's could probably throw one together in a couple weekends.

ACSIZE.jpg

This is a cute little bugger.

Back