log length firewood hard to find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froghollar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My thoughts of firewood fortunes have been challenged by shortages of log length firewood.No timberwolf splitter till I can see the light.

Shortage of firewood

In the Nutmeg state, firewood is tight simply because lumber demand is way down, stumpage prices are down, and there's no tops for journeymen to cut up for firewood. Fuel oil prices are wretched now and a cold winter will be tough on the wallet.

The times, they are a'changing,

Mike

Very hard to find

Yeah im also in NH, and cant seem to find anything ! its crazy! if you stumble upon any quality sources let me know

Yep allot of people ordering wood this year. We're telling customers that call/order now that we're out into Sept-Oct before they'll receive the wood and will be better off using it for the following winter due too seasoning time. Gonna be a tough one this winter for allot of folks up this way.

i tried ordering my second truckload of the year and was told they are 3 months behind and not taking anymore orders. I was hoping to get a year ahead.:dizzy:

Seems like real tight margin processing truckloads for sale by the cord. I only cut my own trees but a guy a mile down the road owns a processor and seems to have a good supply of logs. Told me he is paying between $100 and $110/cord depending upon the supplier (knowing I'm not a potential retail customer). Cut, split and delivered (green) he gets $165. After deducting overhead it's pretty clear he's not getting rich.

I think some of the problem in NH that that guys don't want to drive far to deliver either. With diesel around $5/gallon, who can blame them.

There was guy on craigslist in NH that was getting $1200 a grapple (7-8 full cord) within 15 miles of his landing.

$165 /Cord

Seems like real tight margin processing truckloads for sale by the cord. I only cut my own trees but a guy a mile down the road owns a processor and seems to have a good supply of logs. Told me he is paying between $100 and $110/cord depending upon the supplier (knowing I'm not a potential retail customer). Cut, split and delivered (green) he gets $165. After deducting overhead it's pretty clear he's not getting rich.

If the guy is selling his processed wood that cheap he has got to be losing money. Factor in fuel/oil to process, labour, fuel cost to deliver, and wear and tear on machines - for $55-65 gross profit. That guy will soon be out of business.

Latest posts

Back