Log lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdinks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well you ever get an idea in your head and just can not let it go? A couple years ago I wanted to mount a lift in the back of my dually but didn't know where to mount it. I also was afraid it would be in the way or on the wrong side of where I needed it.
I thought there needs to be some way to utilize the goose neck.
Well this is what I came up with, the whole thing spins off the hitch and the top arm also spins.
I can pick up logs from anywhere on the ground and then spin it around and place the logs anywhere in the truck. I start at the opposite end of where I am working and load around until I cannot rotate any more. There is a lift and a winch, I used it this weekend on a large oak. I could use the winch to drag logs close to the truck and then lift them on by myself.
I made a few changes and it works pretty well.
The top lifts off the base and the base can be removed from the hitch so the whole thing can be removed from the truck.

When you take the top off each half can be moved and lifted fairly easy by one person. If it was one piece I don't think I could get it on
and off the truck.

The bottom piece of steel where the wheels are attached had to be bent to match the arc and is fairly thick. I scratched my head on how to give it a nice bend, it finally came to me when I was standing there looking at my most powerful hydraulic bender----my log splitter.
I put a 2x4 against the foot plate and slowly pushed the ram into it. Worked real well!

Now that looks downright handy for quite a few things. I been trying to come up with an idea to use the gooseneck ball in my pickup, but do not have a flatbed and would be more limited for the range. May have to use the receiver hicth with an extension cause I like to work off the tailgate fueling and filing saws.

Thanks for the pictures!

That is one fantastic piece of engineering! You look handy enough with a welder so where are the pics of the removable steps to make getting in and out of the bed easy on the knees? Seriously though, nice work!

Great job, I have often thought of something similar. Somebody else gets it done.

For what it is worth, I use an engine or shop lift, with log tongs for the same task. Not elegant, but it gets the rounds I can't lift up onto the splitter beam. Obviously you need a smooth surface, not for use in the woods.

I use a cheap Harbor Freight model....Foldable Shop Crane - 2 Ton

Maybe useful

Nice Setup

That is a beautiful setup you have come up with for sure. I know how well that crane operates as I have one on a permanent base in my pickup. It is the Harbor Freight one but looks to be the same as yours.

With your large flat bed you really have it figured out while loading/unloading and swinging those large ones over onto your splitter.

Nosmo

Well you ever get an idea in your head and just can not let it go? A couple years ago I wanted to mount a lift in the back of my dually but didn't know where to mount it. I also was afraid it would be in the way or on the wrong side of where I needed it.
I thought there needs to be some way to utilize the goose neck.
Well this is what I came up with, the whole thing spins off the hitch and the top arm also spins.
I can pick up logs from anywhere on the ground and then spin it around and place the logs anywhere in the truck. I start at the opposite end of where I am working and load around until I cannot rotate any more. There is a lift and a winch, I used it this weekend on a large oak. I could use the winch to drag logs close to the truck and then lift them on by myself.
I made a few changes and it works pretty well.
The top lifts off the base and the base can be removed from the hitch so the whole thing can be removed from the truck.
202522d1318421650-imag0066-jpg

202523d1318421725-imag0067-jpg

202524d1318421779-imag0068-jpg

202525d1318421844-imag0070-jpg

202526d1318421939-imag0071-jpg
nice!

Latest posts

Back